• 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg
  • 2 Post By sudhirr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
jdk

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thinking of adding shrimp to new aquarium

Hi, i just finished setting up my aquarium and it seems pretty good for a first try at aquascaping. I use an external filter that is bigger and pumps than needed( my aquarium is only 30 gallons). I currently have different kinds of nerite snails in the tank happily grazing at all the algae from the plants(it seems that the online seller didnt really pay attention to plant quality as some are covered in brown algae). Ph level is around 6-7 and temperature is around 24-28 depending on time of day or weather. I was thinking of shrimp species that could keep the aquarium free of algae and eats lots of dead matter because im a beginner and want to be prepared of algae outbreaks for whatever reasons. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 03:43 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Welcome to the forum. Do you have a KH test? You pH range is pretty wide, a pH of 7 is ten times more alkaline than a pH of 6. Also for most shrimp like cherries or bees, your low end temperature is their preferred high end. You'll want to back that heater down a bit. Shrimp are fragile for new tanks, most people recommend letting an aquarium run 60-90 days before introducing them. You might get away with adding them to a new tank, but there is going to be a much higher risk of losing them. Patience is a virtue in shrimp tanks. Finally, brown diatoms are pretty common in newly set up aquariums, I wouldn't necessarily blame the plant seller.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Please get some liquid test kits at minimum.

You need to know GH and KH as well if you want fancy shrimp. If you don't mind, then amanos (or their impostors) would probably be fine in whatever you have.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

Pls let the tank mature for a month or two supported by tests to pH and kH and then introduce shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode