New to shrimp - normal for healthy shrimp to just hang out in plants all day? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question New to shrimp - normal for healthy shrimp to just hang out in plants all day?

As the title says, I'm fairly new to shrimp. I have a Fluval spec 3 with a betta, a nerite and 5 cherry shrimp (was 6...one died last week).

I've had the shrimp for about a month. Tank is about 10 weeks old. I do a 30-40% water change every week (tough to change less than that and get gunk out of the bottom, since even a pinched siphon takes out that amount of water quickly in a tiny tank).

One shrimp died last week. The others seem happy enough but they just hang out in the moss or on the back of one of the java fern l leaves.

I've got 4-5 java ferns in there plus a cholla piece with moss all on/in that, and two moss balls in there too.

I see the shrimp snacking on the ends of the moss or browned bits on the plant leaves, so I guess they are eating that natural stuff. I put about 1/2 tablet of algae based shrimp wafer in the tank about once a week. It's not like youtube videos I've seen where the shrimp are all piled onto the food shortly after I drop it in, though. Maybe one shrimp eventually checks it out, but in general they leave it and don't care, then I vac up the rest sitting there next time I clean the tank.

I see so many of these videos of the shrimp flying all over and running around exploring non stop. But, those tanks seems to be sand substrate based (I just have gravel) and sparse (i.e. not a lot of big plants for hiding in), which maybe is good for the video, but not ideal for how shrimp like to be? I'm just not sure if I have unrealistic expectations of seeing my shrimp wander all over all day, as opposed to mine that basically stay still 90% of the time and occasionally change places.

Water has been really steady in terms of parameters I test. I have hard tap water that I treat with Prime. I have been mixing in about 20% distilled jug water into the water changes just to knock down the hardness a bit. Doesn't seem to impact the shrimp behavior one way or another though.

6:1 strips
Nitrate - ~10 (in between white 0 and first pink 20)
Nitrite - 0
Total hardness GH - 150
Total chlorine - 0
Total Alkalinity - ~40-50 (in between the low 40 color and moderate 80 color)
pH - 6.8

Using the API GH/KH Kit
KH - 4 drops
Gh- 7 drops

Assuming that all looks reasonable, do your shrimp generally just hang out like I'm describing, or should they be a lot more active and I have some issue I haven't been able to find yet?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Some of my do that and other are on the substrate
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
If they are eating from the plants they don't need supplemental food and prefer the biofilm that they are getting naturally. That's one reason they may not be eating the food you offer. Second reason is because you have a beta in the tank with them. They are probably afraid of being killed. I used to have shrimp only tanks and the shrimp would always be out. I started adding culls to one of my fish tanks and I barely ever saw them. Shrimp are fish food so having them in with fish is potentially stressful for them and you might not ever see that cool behavior you are seeing in the videos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode