• 1 Post By IKeepShrimp
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Johntheskier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Shrimp Breeders/Importers

Hello once again fellow shrimpers. I've been doing alot of thinking about freshwater shrimp (this is what happens when COVID keeps me indoors) and the lack of diversity in the hobby outside of Asian shrimp species. I'm pretty interested in all things aquatic living in South America so naturally I've been looking around for a while for what South American shrimp are available, even irregularly.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any places online where one could find shrimp outside the norm. From everything I've seen online it does seem that Palaemonetes Ivonicus is imported sometimes and that there are a few other species roaming around irregularly. I see sites like Azgarden advertising shrimp called Brazilian Yellow Bellied Shrimp but from everything I've read they seem less than reputable and those shrimp are very likely not what they say they are. So any idea where one should check to see what shrimp are out there? I'd like to breed the shrimp and try to do my part to make them a bit more available in the hobby.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 08:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I too am interested in South American shrimp. I also saw the Brazilian Yellow Bellied shrimp and was curious my self. I've read a bit about Atya gabonensis that are from S. America and Africa but that's about all I know. As far as AZgardens- I have ordered snails and plants from them numerous time and felt that I had a positive experience each time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
As far as AZ Gardens, I would advise looking up their rating with the BBB before ordering. Of course this is a good thing to do before ordering from any company that you are unfamiliar with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with Discus, AZGardens seems to have a very negative reputation from everything that I've dug up. Lots of their livestock is mislabeled and various issues with shipping and service, overall pretty shady unfortunately. I would love to be able to get some South American shrimp stock and I want to believe in that site but unfortunately all evidence points to the contrary. I will note that BBB ratings are very misinformative though as companies just pay for the ratings they want. Good thing to keep in mind even outside of the fishkeeping hobby, alot of businesses use that BBB rating as a stamp of legitimacy or quality but unfortunately it amounts to nothing. If you happen to find any South American shrimp in your search though please let me know, I'll be looking until I can snag some!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 05:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Definitely check out any seller online. Homework pays off.
IKeepShrimp likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode