Herbivorous Crayfish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Herbivorous Crayfish?

I had a crayfish years ago, more than 10 years ago. When it was young, it loved eating meaty foods. As it got older, it preferred foods with a higher vegetable content. What species of Crayfish might that have been?

Are there any Crayfish that are mostly Herbivorous?

I Want A Golden Goose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
That eating pattern is fairly common in the animal kingdom. Most need more protein as they grow and less when completely grown. You see the same pattern in animal feeds. I raise chickens, and the feeds for the younger chicks are higher in protein. Once they reach maturity, they switch out to either maintenance feed or egg-layer feed which is enriched with calcium for the eggshells. Dog food is another example, that's why you see age-specific feeds.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yep . . . many animals need more protein as they grow.

So . . . what species of crayfish are less likely to eat fish as adults in comparison to other crayfish species?

I Want A Golden Goose!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
Yep . . . many animals need more protein as they grow.

So . . . what species of crayfish are less likely to eat fish as adults in comparison to other crayfish species?

It's really hard to say, most crawfish species are omivores/scavengers. They're pretty opportunistic eaters. Given a chance for a fish, I think most species will take one.

I've only kept a couple species, Procambarus clarkii and Marbled (Marmorkreb) but I can say there was never a point in their lifespan that they would not take a fish given the opportunity. Perhaps there are some other species that will work for you. Hopefully someone with some more experience with some of the dwarf species like CPOs will chime in.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 07:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I had a crayfish years ago, more than 10 years ago. When it was young, it loved eating meaty foods. As it got older, it preferred foods with a higher vegetable content. What species of Crayfish might that have been?

As far as I know, all crayfish species are oppurtunistic omnivores. This is why they are such critical species in the food chain. They turn "junk" into animal meat.
I've seen a lot of crayfish that live in areas with very limited fish(prairie crayfish). This doesn't mean they wont kill/eat fish, it just isn't their typically environment. They will all catch and eat fish, if given the opportunity. Some of them may have super small pincers(shrimp crayfish) or are enormous(Tasmanian giant crayfish), however, they will all grab a fish if possible.

Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out. But pompous fools -- guys who are fools and are covering it all over and impressing people as to how wonderful they are with all this hocus pocus -- THAT, I CANNOT STAND! -Richard Feynman
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wish I knew what crayfish species I had before. I know it ate fish when young but when it became an adult, it lost much of it's interest in fish.

I just remember having a bunch of frozen fish pieces (that became useless). I would thaw one out and feed it to the crayfish (with tongs). The crayfish would grab the fish, then drop it. I tried offering live fish, no interest. So whatever species of crayfish this was, wouldn't catch and eat fish, when given the opportunity.

It would only eat pleco type sinking wafers as an adult. Didn't want frozen or live fish. Wish I knew what species it was . . . maybe it was just specific to that individual crayfish.

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you have any type of identifying details other then what it decided to eat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Probably one of the Cherax species from Papua New Guinea.

Questions on Cherax Boesemani Care - Crays and Other Inverts - The Shrimp Spot

https://www.garnelio.de/blog/krebse/...ng-im-aquarium
This link is in German but you can easily translate it with google.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Wish I knew what species it was . . . maybe it was just specific to that individual crayfish.
I think this is likely the case. I've kept several over the years (blue crayfish and regular old "feeder crayfish") and have noticed that some are more easy going than others. Some coexisted well and some did not. Some mowed every plant down, some left them alone. As far as I knew they were all the same species. I've heard bettas also exhibit widely different "personalities" like that. But even if you have a chill crayfish, there's no real guarantee it won't turn on a fish if given the right opportunity

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are there algae eating crayfish. I think they are more carnivore than herbivore. When I kept dwarf Mexican crayfish, I had trouble with algae as I couldnt keep cherry or Amazon shrimp together as algae grazer for fear of becoming prey. Even some snails I kept became snack for the crayfish.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Are there algae eating crayfish. I think they are more carnivore than herbivore. When I kept dwarf Mexican crayfish, I had trouble with algae as I couldnt keep cherry or Amazon shrimp together as algae grazer for fear of becoming prey. Even some snails I kept became snack for the crayfish.
Algae, not as likely. Algae wafers, sure. I've definitely had some devour live plants though. Even java ferns and Anubias leaves. I don't have experience with the dwarf Mexican, but I like the term used earlier "oppurtunistic omnivores" for the larger ones

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode