Lethargic neo / cherry shrimp and one death - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lethargic neo / cherry shrimp and one death

Had 3 cherries and 3 orange neos in my Fluval spec III with my betta. Tank is well planted with java ferns, java moss, cholla wood and two moss balls.

Shrimp have been doing really well for weeks. Some times they are more active than others but the oddness started on Wednesday when I did a partial water change. Right after the chance they were super active. Swimming all over, picking on everything like crazy. Bolting towards food. Even teasing the betta. Then two days later (yesterday) they got super stagnant and are like statues. This morning one of the oranges was dead.

They have been molting a good amount. Two shells laying in there now that I can see.

I feed the shrimp a half of a shrimp food algae wafer every 2-3 days. They seem to munch on the moss and other algae and dead plant matter on the tips of the leaves etc. Sometimes mainly my nerite only eats the wafer.

I typically do a water change on each weekend, but when I have time I also do one mid week. The 1 Gallon bucket I use for water changes is super gross every time I do it, so I feel like it’s a healthy thing to get all that shrimp poop out.

My water has been rock solid as far as testing for many weeks now. Before and after water changes.

My public tap water is very hard so I typically cut it with about 15-20% distilled from a jug. I have no copper lines in the home. I treat the tap water gallon with 3 drops of Prime.

Tank is 75-77°

Lit by the stock Fluval light from about noon-10 pm. It gets mild indirect light during daylight hours.

From 6in1 East strip

Nitrate - ~10 (in between white 0 and first pink 20)
Nitrite - 0
Total hardness GH - 150
Total chlorine - 0
Total Alkalinity - ~40-50 (in between the low 40 color and moderate 80 color)
pH - 6.8

Using the API GH/KH Kit
KH - 4 drops
Gh- 7 drops

This has never wavered much. Sometimes KH is 5 and sometimes GH is 8 or 9 but that’s the whole range I’ve ever had.

I don’t use any treatments in the tank. Plants are plenty healthy as-is.

I tried plunking two slices of par boiled carrots in today and the 5 remaining shrimp still haven’t budged to even check it out.

I was planning on my normal water change tomorrow. Curious if that will perk them up. I sort of doubt it though since the water is testing fine, as far as I understand. Not like the tests are indicating there’s too much junk in the water, I don’t think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would hazard to guess probably an "outside" pollution.... that is, something outside of the tank that polluted the air and now causing havoc to the tank.

This could be anything from sprays (bug spray, perfume, cologne, or???), smoke (possible e-cigs, cigarettes, diffusers, etc), heating something up in the microwave (styofoam container, wrapper, or?) to something else.

If it was an issue with the water you should have seen something occur sooner.

So consider doing a water change sooner rather than later.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I would hazard to guess probably an "outside" pollution.... that is, something outside of the tank that polluted the air and now causing havoc to the tank.

This could be anything from sprays (bug spray, perfume, cologne, or???), smoke (possible e-cigs, cigarettes, diffusers, etc), heating something up in the microwave (styofoam container, wrapper, or?) to something else.

If it was an issue with the water you should have seen something occur sooner.

So consider doing a water change sooner rather than later.
Hmm. Nothing like that. The tank is in a part of the house not around anything going on.

Betta and snail are acting super healthy for what it’s worth.

I’ll plan on the water change tomorrow. Didn’t know if it was a risk that I was changing the water TOO often, so wanted to ask.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode