Shrimp have gone crazy - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp have gone crazy

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me with this problem I am having. I did a small water change 15% and my shrimp are jerking back, flipping upside down and mostly but not always landing on their back like they are paralyzed!
A little background on my tank. It’s a 15 gal with mostly neocaridinas.
PH 7.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
GH 6
KH 2
I did add a little of Seachems alkaline buffer to get the KH up a little.
Temp 78
I use RO water
It’s a heavily planted tank. I am at my wits end! I know they can only take so much stress. Would love some advice. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Osmotic shock most likely, maybe PH. Always prep your water a day ahead of time, add what fairy dust you need to it and let equalize to atmospheric gases, preferably with circulation pump running or at least stir it good a few times. Then after it’s set overnight measure GH and PH of change water and make sure it matches tank water almost exactly. When adding new water to tanks do it slowly, like 10min slowly.

Alkaline buffer is bad juju, stop that stuff. It’s a rollercoaster ride for your PH.

Use a mix of potassium bicarbonate and baking soda to reach your KH target. More potassium if your going for more than a 3kh jump, don’t want sodium level to high. I myself would just float a bag of crushed coral (think 1/3 a coke cans worth/5-10gal) in change water for 36hrs before using it, let it do its thing and then it hit with a touch of Potassium bicarbonate and sodium bicarbonate to finish job to reach target. The more elements you can build your carbonate hardness from the more stable it wil be. This will give you carbonates/bicarbonates of Na, Mg, Ca and K.

Coral will also bring your GH up.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohi...5189957&sr=8-5
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the tank has a heater, I would recommend removing it. Shrimp do not need it.

What are you using to raise the GH?

What substrate?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
If the tank has a heater, I would recommend removing it. Shrimp do not need it.

What are you using to raise the GH?

What substrate?

On the GH nothing. I have used the alkaline buffer to raise the ph and KH.

Substrate is Carib eco complete. I will never use that again. Too many worms and snails. I want to set up my 60 gallon as a shrimp tank but if I canít figure this out....
Thanks so much for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Osmotic shock most likely, maybe PH. Always prep your water a day ahead of time, add what fairy dust you need to it and let equalize to atmospheric gases, preferably with circulation pump running or at least stir it good a few times. Then after itís set overnight measure GH and PH of change water and make sure it matches tank water almost exactly. When adding new water to tanks do it slowly, like 10min slowly.

Thank you so much!!! I do take my time adding new water.

Alkaline buffer is bad juju, stop that stuff. Itís a rollercoaster ride for your PH.

Use a mix of potassium bicarbonate and baking soda to reach your KH target. More potassium if your going for more than a 3kh jump, donít want sodium level to high. I myself would just float a bag of crushed coral (think 1/3 a coke cans worth/5-10gal) in change water for 36hrs before using it, let it do its thing and then it hit with a touch of Potassium bicarbonate and sodium bicarbonate to finish job to reach target. The more elements you can build your carbonate hardness from the more stable it wil be. This will give you carbonates/bicarbonates of Na, Mg, Ca and K.

Coral will also bring your GH up.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohi...5189957&sr=8-5
Thank you. I do take my time adding the water back into the tank but a lot of what you stated, I donít do. I really appreciate the advice. I will start doing that like now 😊

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2020 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 10:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_123 View Post

Shrimp need GH in order to safely molt.... if you are using RO water with something to raise KH, how do you have 6 GH?

Do you have rocks or coral raising GH?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Zoidburg;11323321]
Quote:

Shrimp need GH in order to safely molt.... if you are using RO water with something to raise KH, how do you have 6 GH?

I honestly donít know. Last night was my first time testing the KH and GH I know somethingís wrong. Like I said it is heavily planted with quite a bit of driftwood and one pc of dragon stone. If you can give any insight please please do. I have the flu all flex with bioballs activated charcoal

[QUOTE=tinker_123;11323333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Quote:

A photo of my tank and one of my shrimp that is doing the like paralyzed 😔

I honestly donít know. Last night was my first time testing the KH and GH I know somethingís wrong. Like I said it is heavily planted with quite a bit of driftwood and one pc of dragon stone. If you can give any insight please please do. I have the flu all flex with bioballs activated charcoal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB8D71D4-3500-46ED-BC69-786F87042739_1585226225304.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	895421  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2020 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Where did you get that wood?

If your RO water has GH of 6 right from unit something is leaking or itís time to replace membrane. Even cheapest/lowest rejection rate units should put you down to around 1GH.

Eco complete is not responsible for snails and worm. They likely came with plants and if their numbers are exploding itís only in response to food levels available to them which is algae, biofilm and detritus in your tank.
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Where did you get that wood?

If your RO water has GH of 6 right from unit something is leaking or it’s time to replace membrane. Even cheapest/lowest rejection rate units should put you down to around 1GH.

Eco complete is not responsible for snails and worm. They likely came with plants and if their numbers are exploding it’s only in response to food levels available to them which is algae, biofilm and detritus in your tank.
I had the driftwood in my other tank and transferred it over. Got it at the fish store last year. The Ro water I got from the pet store as well. They sell that and premixed saltwater. Dave they are dying and there’s nothing I know to do. 😞 I am so sad right now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You need to understand that osmotic shock if severe enough actually causes cell walls to rupture/explode, once that happens recovery probably is not going to happen, just a slow death.

In fish when this happens youíll actually see bloody patches forming in tissue right before tail fin, cells have ruptured and there is internal bleeding, those cells are dead, subsequently because those cells are no longer functioning they are no longer passing blood to fin and in couple days tissue in fins go necrotic and literally disintegrates and rots away. Same thing is happening under your shrimps shells.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Can you test new RO water for GH and KH?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode