Scud infestation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Scud infestation

Well about the worst possible thing could have happened.

I took the fish out to prepare the tank for shrimp, shrimp are now in the tank but I found I have a million scuds, Hydra, and planaria.

I panicked and dosed the tank (40B) w about 1 gram of fembendazole last night.

Made a trap and caught a few planaria. This was all last night.

When I shined my flashlight into the water I could also see quite a few free floating works, they looked to be sort of red.

I've been doing some reading on scuds and I really can't afford to completely shut down the tank to get rid of these scuds and was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to do. About to do a 30% water change.

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would honestly keep it as a fish tank at this point. At least they will eat those pests except for hydra.

Scuds are impossible to get rid of
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have an empty 20g, would it be any use to move a little of the substrate to that tank and move the shrimp and plants and filters as well? Then dry out the substrate in the sun?

EDIT

Sun is falling fast, is there anything I can do to allow me to add shrimp back asap, I have no room in my room and would like to take this 20 down asap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would suggest either getting some pygmy cories or kuhli loaches to see if they'll take care of the scuds... just be aware that they *might* go after shrimp, too. I have kuhlis in a shrimp tank - they've left the adult shrimp alone as far as I can tell.

I had even picked up a shrimp tank with substrate (with 12 newborn shrimp in it - the only shrimp that managed to hide as the tank was torn down! and shrimp moved) that was full of detritus worms. Moved kuhlis and a cory (got cory same place as tank) into it temporarily and they took care of them no problem.

I haven't dealt with scuds though... or hydra or planaria. Have had nematodes, copepods and rhabdocola flatworms (often mistaken for planaria).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I would suggest either getting some pygmy cories or kuhli loaches to see if they'll take care of the scuds... just be aware that they *might* go after shrimp, too. I have kuhlis in a shrimp tank - they've left the adult shrimp alone as far as I can tell.

I had even picked up a shrimp tank with substrate (with 12 newborn shrimp in it - the only shrimp that managed to hide as the tank was torn down! and shrimp moved) that was full of detritus worms. Moved kuhlis and a cory (got cory same place as tank) into it temporarily and they took care of them no problem.

I haven't dealt with scuds though... or hydra or planaria. Have had nematodes, copepods and rhabdocola flatworms (often mistaken for planaria).
I had thought about that idea but the scuds burrow so deep the cories would only get so many while also eating baby shrimp.

What I have decided to do is try to completely dry the substrate as much as possible

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bump:
Anyone found any way to get rid of scuds? I took everything out and doused everything in soda, replaced gravel and I think I may have baby scuds still. Am seeing small bugs with shells that look like that may be scuds but unconfirmed

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Scuds or freshwater limpets?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 06:33 AM
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if you can remove inhabitants maybe try sofenting the water for a month with r.o water, still adding ferts just no Ca. I had a tank that was just too soft to support scuds no matter how bad I wanted them. Or try gassing the tank with Co2 maybe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Scuds or freshwater limpets?
Definitely not limpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
if you can remove inhabitants maybe try sofenting the water for a month with r.o water, still adding ferts just no Ca. I had a tank that was just too soft to support scuds no matter how bad I wanted them. Or try gassing the tank with Co2 maybe
I don't have a working R/O unit but my tap does come out at about 1-2gh, I like that idea but I know some would still survive, these things are superbugs.

They don't seem to mind co2 but I have tried emptying water and soaking everything in soda water which seemed to work, unfortunately now that tank has to cycle again

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode