• 3 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snails from Plants

I recently planted my tank, and it appears the non-tissue culture plants had hangers-on. I've counted about 5 snails in my tank and was hoping to get help identifying them, and advice for either controlling the population or eliminating them. I'm amazed they survived, as my tank is still cycling and the nitrites and nitrates were still pretty high the day I planted. I don't have any fish in the tank yet, so overfeeding was definitely not the cause.

I've seen flubendazole, copper sulfate, and assassin snails suggested for control. I'm hoping to add shrimp eventually, so ideally would want something that isn't going to linger and kill them eventually. I'm not opposed to having snails in the tank (especially the black and gold one, it's kind of pretty), but don't want to deal with a bunch, or let it get out of control.

Apologies for the poor image quality; all I have right now is my rather old cell phone. I can resize the images if needed as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 05:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

One just a bladder snail. Canít tell on other.

Snail population usually stay in line with food supply available to them. Food consists of algae, biofilm and detritus plus whatever food may hit bottom. For a new tank I see a lot of detritus stuck to your plant leaves and hardscape. Have you had a lot of plant die off thatís adding that mulm layer over everything? You need to get that cleaned up if you donít want snail population exploding.

I myself wouldnít worry about them, snail poop is good at seeding your tanks biofilter with useful organism and is good plant food.
quest likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Based on that picture I think the other is a pond snail. Thank you!

I haven't had any plant die-off yet - I just planted last Wednesday and so far everything staying alive, although my dwarf sags aren't looking awesome. I did a fishless cycle with Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride. Before planting on Wednesday I hadn't had the lights on or anything either.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
If you leave things be, the population will balance out. Trying to eradicate them causes more harm than good. You'll eventually grow to appreciate them.

Source: every tank I've ever had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 05:38 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, snails are a net positive in pretty much any planted tank. I probably spent a decade fighting them before learning that it's a losing battle and I'm only trying to eradicate a valuable clean-up crew.
quest likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all! Is it worth getting an assassin snail to help keep the population in check, or will it balance out with just the fish (either black neon tetras or harlequin rasboras +/- a dwarf gourami or betta) and shrimp in the tank?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 06:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Certain things in planted aquaria act as indicators. Plants pearl when there is good co2. Certain plants turn red when their is good light. An overpopulation of snails usually is an indicator that it's time to step up maintenance by removing detrius and increasing water changes. This will make the whole system better in the long run.

No need to hire an assassin.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 06:55 PM

I am also pretty new to planted tanks but thought I'd add my thoughts as I encountered the same thing when I added plants. I ordered plants online and some of them must have had snail eggs or little hitchhikers because I ended up with several bladder snails!

They've been in my tank for several months now and there population has stayed under control. I have some in with sparkling gouramis and espei rasboras and I have only seen a few baby snails in the month since I added the fish, even though I've seen quite a few eggs. I think the sparkling gouramis may be eating the newly hatched snails - I think I read that they do this. I'm not sure if Bettas or Dwarf Gouramis eat them too.

I also have some in with ember tetras and that population is definitely growing faster, but I've probably been overfeeding slightly. I've found them to be great for controlling algae in both tanks.

Like the others have said, the population will likely balance itself out. I've found them beneficial in my tanks. A potential issue that I see with getting an assassin snail would be that it would run out food pretty quickly and then you'd either have to get more snails to feed it or rehome it. I think you'd want to have quite a few more snails already in the tank before it would be worth getting an assassin snail to reduce the population.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I am a snail convert. I have learned the benefits-- even though they still do have the capacity to disgust me. I do my best to live with them.
The ramshorn are my favorite.
Actually, have them in all my tanks (7/8 tanks) except my 180 gallon where the geophagus find them a delicacy.

The only snail I refuse to have are trumpet snails-- sorry, those guys are repulsive.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marie View Post
I am also pretty new to planted tanks but thought I'd add my thoughts as I encountered the same thing when I added plants. I ordered plants online and some of them must have had snail eggs or little hitchhikers because I ended up with several bladder snails!

They've been in my tank for several months now and there population has stayed under control. I have some in with sparkling gouramis and espei rasboras and I have only seen a few baby snails in the month since I added the fish, even though I've seen quite a few eggs. I think the sparkling gouramis may be eating the newly hatched snails - I think I read that they do this. I'm not sure if Bettas or Dwarf Gouramis eat them too.

I also have some in with ember tetras and that population is definitely growing faster, but I've probably been overfeeding slightly. I've found them to be great for controlling algae in both tanks.

Like the others have said, the population will likely balance itself out. I've found them beneficial in my tanks. A potential issue that I see with getting an assassin snail would be that it would run out food pretty quickly and then you'd either have to get more snails to feed it or rehome it. I think you'd want to have quite a few more snails already in the tank before it would be worth getting an assassin snail to reduce the population.
I can attest that assassin snails are very happy to survive without a snail population. Surviving on leftover fish-food? I assuming that is what they are eating once the snail population is gone.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the assassin snails were to eat all the "pest" snails... what would they eat next???

Shrimp is not off the menu!

Best to either enjoy them or manual removal/traps if you really don't want them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode