isolating berried ghost shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question isolating berried ghost shrimp

I bought a few ghost shrimp about a month ago and added them to my turtle's tank, understanding that he would likely eat them (and the mystery snails I added at the same time). He has NOT eaten anyone and they are growing and I noticed today that one of them is berried! Everything I've read says to move momma to a nursery tank, but I just don't have the room, equipment, or energy for another tank. Turtle, shrimp and snails are in a 46 G bowfront and I'm in the process of setting up a 75 G to move everyone to (done cycling with some happy zebra fish, but want to do a bit more scaping before moving everyone over.

1. Anyone have a good breeder box recommendation?

2. Or would a 1 gallon fish bowl be OK with a heater and sponge filter?

3. Two of my mystery snails were mating yesterday, so I'm hoping for baby snails as well, would it be OK to put both moms together in a 1 gallon?

4. How long do I have to incubate a sponge for the sponge filter in one of the cycled tanks to get it ready to jump start the breeder bowl/tank?

Nice to see life is moving forward for the little creatures in this crazy cooped up time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A bowl with an air stone should be enough.... as long as the bowl has plenty of algae in it and growing....

Might try taking dirty water out of turtle tank, setting it in bowl and putting that into a window or putting a light on it 24/7 to try and grow algae/diotoms for larvae.

A breeder box may not work as the young shrimp are likely to slip through the gaps.

From my understanding, mystery snails require a place out of water to lay their eggs.
Cria likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I'll put some dirty tank water and scrape some algae off my drift wood and sit it in the window to grow.

You are right about the snails, because it is a turtle tank, it is only half full of water, so lots of space for the snail to lay the eggs in the tank, wondering what to do with the egg mass after it is laid so the babies don't get eaten when they hatch and fall in the water.

Save lives, Flatten the Curve!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know that a small tank would be big enough for a bunch of baby snails.... maybe it would as long as water changes are done... which could be an issue if there are shrimp in there. Maybe they'll be too small for the turtle to care about? I'm not sure.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 04:01 AM

I have raised PK Shrimp and once the babies had hatched and were free floating, i just fed them brine shrimp and had almost 100% survival to the "crawling" if you will stage which took about 2 weeks of feeding every other day. It was actually super fascinating watching them grow and eat! I raised them in a 2.5g with a sponge filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode