What have you been doing Lately? Share! - The Planted Tank Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What have you been doing Lately? Share!

There has been a big lull in the regulars posting updates on what they have been working on in their shrimp takes.

Can you throw us all just a bit on how things are going?

Frustrations and successes.

Have you set up any new tanks?
Added new plants?
Added new shrimp?
Have any new insights?

Been working through /battling any losses?
Need inspiration?

PS Need not be regulars-- all are welcome to share, of course.
Go!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could start by sharing yourself 😉
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changed pre filter on my 40b so hopefully get a bump in shrimps. Kept noticing a bunch of young shrimp in canister. Population was down as well. Only other thought is the fishes are getting more predatory but have two baby cories that made it so .......
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
I'm in the process of cycling two soon-to-be Caridina shrimp tank.

The first tank, 10g, has Red Root Floaters, S. Repens, Ludwigia Ratans - Super Red, AR 'Mini', and Ammania Sp. Bonsai. I *think* this tank is going to house Blue Steel.

The second tank, 7.5g cube, has Red Root Floaters, Mini-Pellia, AR 'Mini', and Dwarf Hairgrass. This tank is going to house Black Nanancy.

Both of the tanks have SL-Aqua's soil in them.

I am in the process of cycling a third tank but the store is totally out of distilled water and they've put a limit on how much you can buy. So, I just ordered an AquaFX Barracuda RODI unit that will, hopefully, be here this week.

I'm just hoping that I can order shrimp this weekend but not sure that is a great idea with everything going on, so we'll see.

I'll post a picture of the cube tank in a bit. The 10g tank is too ugly to post a picture of, atm. Haha.

I look forward to seeing/reading what the rest of you have been up to!
Discusluv likes this.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well at the start of January I started my first shrimp tank ever and through a lot of help from members on this board it ended up pretty successful I'd say. Big shouts out to everyone who was active in my troubleshooting threads! Here is what it looked like the day it was planted...

Click image for larger version

Name:	yxMLtXs.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	895225

And fast forward about 4 months later...

Name:	image000001(1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	895229

Its a jungle but its exactly what I hoped it would be. Low tech, no fert no hassle just a tank that the shrimp love and seem to be thriving in. Started with about 15~ shrimp and every female in there is either berried or just recently had their eggs hatched. Haven't done a water change on this tank in about a month or more so I'm sure I'm overdue but a low maintenance tank is precisely what I was looking for.

And it was only a matter of time but after my first tank in January I already got a 2nd tank, this time a 29g with fish!

Name:  image000000(1).jpg
Views: 195
Size:  30.0 KB

Tank is just getting started so its looking a little unimpressive, crypt is melting and the wood I had ordered for the hardscape has been delayed almost a month so its more barren than I intended for the moment. Also explains the free floating anubias, was meant to be attached to the wood but for now its just relaxing at the top of the tank! I absolutely fell in love with the Flame Tetra. Not a fish I really considered before but on a trip to the LFS I was so impressed with them. Unfortunately after I brought them home from Petco they seem to have contracted some Ich so the water is a bit cloudy from the treatment there but overall its been a great experience too. Much more stuff to learn, and here I thought shrimp were complicated!

P.S. It amazes me how the java moss in my shrimp tank absolutely exploded. It went from a tiny little stain on the wood to absolutely overtaking the tank!
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

Last edited by IKeepShrimp; 03-23-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Explained the floating anubias :p
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Changed pre filter on my 40b so hopefully get a bump in shrimps. Kept noticing a bunch of young shrimp in canister. Population was down as well. Only other thought is the fishes are getting more predatory but have two baby cories that made it so .......
I know! Even though I have a prefilter on my filter outtake I still manage to get shrimp in the filter. Adults anyways- not babies.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportjon View Post
I'm in the process of cycling two soon-to-be Caridina shrimp tank.

The first tank, 10g, has Red Root Floaters, S. Repens, Ludwigia Ratans - Super Red, AR 'Mini', and Ammania Sp. Bonsai. I *think* this tank is going to house Blue Steel.

The second tank, 7.5g cube, has Red Root Floaters, Mini-Pellia, AR 'Mini', and Dwarf Hairgrass. This tank is going to house Black Nanancy.

Both of the tanks have SL-Aqua's soil in them.

I am in the process of cycling a third tank but the store is totally out of distilled water and they've put a limit on how much you can buy. So, I just ordered an AquaFX Barracuda RODI unit that will, hopefully, be here this week.

I'm just hoping that I can order shrimp this weekend but not sure that is a great idea with everything going on, so we'll see.

I'll post a picture of the cube tank in a bit. The 10g tank is too ugly to post a picture of, atm. Haha.

I look forward to seeing/reading what the rest of you have been up to!
Exciting! Looking forward to seeing these pictures!
I dont think Ive seen anyone else on here with the black nanancy or the blue steels. Will be interesting to follow how well they do for you. Have you started journals yet for your different shrimp tanks? If not, please do, - its a great way for us others to learn about these unusual shrimp.

Thats the thing about shrimp tanks- many of the most successful ones are not very attractive in relation to the beautifully aquascaped tanks we see here. But, thats okay. Share away!

Amy
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKeepShrimp View Post
Well at the start of January I started my first shrimp tank ever and through a lot of help from members on this board it ended up pretty successful I'd say. Big shouts out to everyone who was active in my troubleshooting threads! Here is what it looked like the day it was planted...

Attachment 895225

And fast forward about 4 months later...

Attachment 895229

Its a jungle but its exactly what I hoped it would be. Low tech, no fert no hassle just a tank that the shrimp love and seem to be thriving in. Started with about 15~ shrimp and every female in there is either berried or just recently had their eggs hatched. Haven't done a water change on this tank in about a month or more so I'm sure I'm overdue but a low maintenance tank is precisely what I was looking for.

And it was only a matter of time but after my first tank in January I already got a 2nd tank, this time a 29g with fish!

Attachment 895227

Tank is just getting started so its looking a little unimpressive, crypt is melting and the wood I had ordered for the hardscape has been delayed almost a month so its more barren than I intended for the moment. Also explains the free floating anubias, was meant to be attached to the wood but for now its just relaxing at the top of the tank! I absolutely fell in love with the Flame Tetra. Not a fish I really considered before but on a trip to the LFS I was so impressed with them. Unfortunately after I brought them home from Petco they seem to have contracted some Ich so the water is a bit cloudy from the treatment there but overall its been a great experience too. Much more stuff to learn, and here I thought shrimp were complicated!

P.S. It amazes me how the java moss in my shrimp tank absolutely exploded. It went from a tiny little stain on the wood to absolutely overtaking the tank!
Wow- your plants have really exploded in that firts tank since January.

What type of shrimp do you have in here?

I laughed about your second shrimp tank--- shrimp are addicting and most of us end up with more tanks before we know it. I am new to shrimp myself. I set up an existing tank with wild neos and c. babaulti 'zebra and in the following months now have 3 more. A 5.4 gallon, a Fluvel V, and a Fluvel Flex 9 gallon.

Ive kept many tetras but not the Flame tetra. It is a very pretty fish.
IKeepShrimp likes this.

Amy
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I know! Even though I have a prefilter on my filter outtake I still manage to get shrimp in the filter. Adults anyways- not babies.

Bump:
Exciting! Looking forward to seeing these pictures!
I dont think Ive seen anyone else on here with the black nanancy or the blue steels. Will be interesting to follow how well they do for you. Have you started journals yet for your different shrimp tanks? If not, please do, - its a great way for us others to learn about these unusual shrimp.

Thats the thing about shrimp tanks- many of the most successful ones are not very attractive in relation to the beautifully aquascaped tanks we see here. But, thats okay. Share away!

Haha, I know. Therein lies my problem. I'm trying very hard to walk that line. I want them to breed and to try my hand at selective breeding but, at the same time, I would like an aesthetically pleasing planted tank. I have not started any journals yet but I will! I'm just getting back into the hobby after taking 3 years off or so. I've got cellphone pictures of my cube but am going to take a few better ones with my wife's camera here shortly.

Those two types are my favorite I have seen since coming back to the hobby. I can't wait to get them! I'm hoping that one of the tanks will be ready this weekend and I can place my first order.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by newportjon; 03-23-2020 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Spelling.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 06:23 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm setting up one new shrimp tank in the next week or two, and will add it in my Dennerle Shrimp King tank journal when I get it going. Also have to move the other one which is full of water and breeding shrimp. Not looking forward to that. All tanks are doing well as health of the shrimp goes, but still no babies in the OEBT tank. Was cleaning duckweed from my cull tanks today and saw an Amano shrimp doing this:

Fighting string algae in the newly redone Osaka.

It's VERY difficult to manually remove from moss, since it takes moss with it. If I hadn't added shrimp already I'd blast it with Excel. Impatience gets the better of me sometimes.
newportjon likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Wow- your plants have really exploded in that firts tank since January.

What type of shrimp do you have in here?

I laughed about your second shrimp tank--- shrimp are addicting and most of us end up with more tanks before we know it. I am new to shrimp myself. I set up an existing tank with wild neos and c. babaulti 'zebra and in the following months now have 3 more. A 5.4 gallon, a Fluvel V, and a Fluvel Flex 9 gallon.

Ive kept many tetras but not the Flame tetra. It is a very pretty fish.

Yep, before I even setup my first tank I watched a bunch of videos on people setting up their tanks and showing off their builds and the ones that stuck out to me the most were those Foo the Flowerhorn videos about the no CO2, no fert biomes that they created. That is kinda my inspiration going forward, low tech is definitely my jam and for me the simpler the better!

These shrimp are just regular ole cherries

Name:	Resized_20200118_134513_5683(1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	895239

Very nice looking shrimp, in my personal opinion, but whenever that next shrimp tank comes around I'll probably try my hand at some caridina species. See if I can get them to take off on Florida tap. Lots of people seem to recommend only using RO water so it might not work but we will see.

So this 29g probably won't have much shrimp in it because I plan on adding corys and some other kind of small tetra to the tank and I suspect they won't get along very well. However... there is one idea I've been messing around with for this tank if I wanted shrimp. In keeping with the theme of South American species only, I might add vampire shrimp as they are the only shrimp I could find that co-inhabit the same rivers and also are probably large enough that small tetras and dwarf corys won't mess around with it too much. But we will see, that is probably a little different than most people's shrimpin haha.
newportjon and Discusluv like this.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'm setting up one new shrimp tank in the next week or two, and will add it in my Dennerle Shrimp King tank journal when I get it going. Also have to move the other one which is full of water and breeding shrimp. Not looking forward to that. All tanks are doing well as health of the shrimp goes, but still no babies in the OEBT tank. Was cleaning duckweed from my cull tanks today and saw an Amano shrimp doing this:

Fighting string algae in the newly redone Osaka.

It's VERY difficult to manually remove from moss, since it takes moss with it. If I hadn't added shrimp already I'd blast it with Excel. Impatience gets the better of me sometimes.
That crazy Amano is out of the water? That is so strange. Have you seen shrimp do this before?

The Osaka tank really looks great! Wow!-what a difference.

Amy
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

For me, the biggest current news is that after 4 months one of my female PRL's is finally berried. It was such a joy to see. Here are a couple of pics- the tank and the berried female:

The other recent news is that I moved my Royal Blue tigers from my Spec V to my 30 gallon. I had some pretty substantial losses in this tank- lost 5 within a few months and after considering many possible variables, determined that the Controsoil may be the culprit. So, I moved the tigers in with my wild neo's and babaulti on sand. Since moving, they are doing really well. Hoping within the next couple months they settle in and reproduce. This is the 30 gallon they were moved into.

Amy
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tanks looks awesome Blue Ridge!

As far as the algae in the moss, will blasting it w/ H2O2 do anything to it?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is a bad cellphone photo of the 7.5g cube. This tank, I think, is going to be for the Black Nanancy.

I have more DHG coming to fill in the front a bit. I've been considering ordering some crypt spiralis for background plants. Haven't totally made up my mind with what I want to put in the back yet but that is what I am leaning towards.

I'll try and get some better photos when I find the camera.
Discusluv likes this.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportjon View Post

Here is a bad cellphone photo of the 7.5g cube. This tank, I think, is going to be for the Black Nanancy.

I have more DHG coming to fill in the front a bit. I've been considering ordering some crypt spiralis for background plants. Haven't totally made up my mind with what I want to put in the back yet but that is what I am leaning towards.

I'll try and get some better photos when I find the camera.
Nice! Im loving on those Red Root floaters. I need to get some.
newportjon likes this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode