The Planted Tank Forum banner

What have you been doing Lately? Share!

4K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Triniscaper 
#1 ·
There has been a big lull in the regulars posting updates on what they have been working on in their shrimp takes.

Can you throw us all just a bit on how things are going?

Frustrations and successes.

Have you set up any new tanks?
Added new plants?
Added new shrimp?
Have any new insights?

Been working through /battling any losses?
Need inspiration?

PS Need not be regulars-- all are welcome to share, of course.
Go!:grin2:

#6 ·
I know! Even though I have a prefilter on my filter outtake I still manage to get shrimp in the filter. :| Adults anyways- not babies.

Bump:
I'm in the process of cycling two soon-to-be Caridina shrimp tank.

The first tank, 10g, has Red Root Floaters, S. Repens, Ludwigia Ratans - Super Red, AR 'Mini', and Ammania Sp. Bonsai. I *think* this tank is going to house Blue Steel.

The second tank, 7.5g cube, has Red Root Floaters, Mini-Pellia, AR 'Mini', and Dwarf Hairgrass. This tank is going to house Black Nanancy.

Both of the tanks have SL-Aqua's soil in them.

I am in the process of cycling a third tank but the store is totally out of distilled water and they've put a limit on how much you can buy. So, I just ordered an AquaFX Barracuda RODI unit that will, hopefully, be here this week.

I'm just hoping that I can order shrimp this weekend but not sure that is a great idea with everything going on, so we'll see.

I'll post a picture of the cube tank in a bit. The 10g tank is too ugly to post a picture of, atm. Haha.

I look forward to seeing/reading what the rest of you have been up to!
Exciting! Looking forward to seeing these pictures!
I dont think Ive seen anyone else on here with the black nanancy or the blue steels. Will be interesting to follow how well they do for you. Have you started journals yet for your different shrimp tanks? If not, please do, - its a great way for us others to learn about these unusual shrimp.

Thats the thing about shrimp tanks- many of the most successful ones are not very attractive in relation to the beautifully aquascaped tanks we see here. But, thats okay. Share away! :smile2:

#4 ·
I'm in the process of cycling two soon-to-be Caridina shrimp tank.

The first tank, 10g, has Red Root Floaters, S. Repens, Ludwigia Ratans - Super Red, AR 'Mini', and Ammania Sp. Bonsai. I *think* this tank is going to house Blue Steel.

The second tank, 7.5g cube, has Red Root Floaters, Mini-Pellia, AR 'Mini', and Dwarf Hairgrass. This tank is going to house Black Nanancy.

Both of the tanks have SL-Aqua's soil in them.

I am in the process of cycling a third tank but the store is totally out of distilled water and they've put a limit on how much you can buy. So, I just ordered an AquaFX Barracuda RODI unit that will, hopefully, be here this week.

I'm just hoping that I can order shrimp this weekend but not sure that is a great idea with everything going on, so we'll see.

I'll post a picture of the cube tank in a bit. The 10g tank is too ugly to post a picture of, atm. Haha.

I look forward to seeing/reading what the rest of you have been up to!

#5 · (Edited)
Well at the start of January I started my first shrimp tank ever and through a lot of help from members on this board it ended up pretty successful I'd say. Big shouts out to everyone who was active in my troubleshooting threads! Here is what it looked like the day it was planted...

Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium Terrestrial plant Pet supply

And fast forward about 4 months later...

Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Terrestrial plant Pet supply Grass family

Its a jungle but its exactly what I hoped it would be. Low tech, no fert no hassle just a tank that the shrimp love and seem to be thriving in. Started with about 15~ shrimp and every female in there is either berried or just recently had their eggs hatched. Haven't done a water change on this tank in about a month or more so I'm sure I'm overdue but a low maintenance tank is precisely what I was looking for.

And it was only a matter of time but after my first tank in January I already got a 2nd tank, this time a 29g with fish!

Plant Aquatic plant Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Pet supply

Tank is just getting started so its looking a little unimpressive, crypt is melting and the wood I had ordered for the hardscape has been delayed almost a month so its more barren than I intended for the moment. Also explains the free floating anubias, was meant to be attached to the wood but for now its just relaxing at the top of the tank! I absolutely fell in love with the Flame Tetra. Not a fish I really considered before but on a trip to the LFS I was so impressed with them. Unfortunately after I brought them home from Petco they seem to have contracted some Ich so the water is a bit cloudy from the treatment there but overall its been a great experience too. Much more stuff to learn, and here I thought shrimp were complicated!

P.S. It amazes me how the java moss in my shrimp tank absolutely exploded. It went from a tiny little stain on the wood to absolutely overtaking the tank!

#7 ·
Well at the start of January I started my first shrimp tank ever and through a lot of help from members on this board it ended up pretty successful I'd say. Big shouts out to everyone who was active in my troubleshooting threads! Here is what it looked like the day it was planted...

View attachment 895225

And fast forward about 4 months later...

View attachment 895229

Its a jungle but its exactly what I hoped it would be. Low tech, no fert no hassle just a tank that the shrimp love and seem to be thriving in. Started with about 15~ shrimp and every female in there is either berried or just recently had their eggs hatched. Haven't done a water change on this tank in about a month or more so I'm sure I'm overdue but a low maintenance tank is precisely what I was looking for.

And it was only a matter of time but after my first tank in January I already got a 2nd tank, this time a 29g with fish!

View attachment 895227

Tank is just getting started so its looking a little unimpressive, crypt is melting and the wood I had ordered for the hardscape has been delayed almost a month so its more barren than I intended for the moment. Also explains the free floating anubias, was meant to be attached to the wood but for now its just relaxing at the top of the tank! I absolutely fell in love with the Flame Tetra. Not a fish I really considered before but on a trip to the LFS I was so impressed with them. Unfortunately after I brought them home from Petco they seem to have contracted some Ich so the water is a bit cloudy from the treatment there but overall its been a great experience too. Much more stuff to learn, and here I thought shrimp were complicated!

P.S. It amazes me how the java moss in my shrimp tank absolutely exploded. It went from a tiny little stain on the wood to absolutely overtaking the tank!
Wow- your plants have really exploded in that firts tank since January.

What type of shrimp do you have in here?

I laughed about your second shrimp tank--- shrimp are addicting and most of us end up with more tanks before we know it. I am new to shrimp myself. I set up an existing tank with wild neos and c. babaulti 'zebra and in the following months now have 3 more. A 5.4 gallon, a Fluvel V, and a Fluvel Flex 9 gallon.

Ive kept many tetras but not the Flame tetra. It is a very pretty fish.

#9 ·
I'm setting up one new shrimp tank in the next week or two, and will add it in my Dennerle Shrimp King tank journal when I get it going. Also have to move the other one which is full of water and breeding shrimp. Not looking forward to that. All tanks are doing well as health of the shrimp goes, but still no babies in the OEBT tank. Was cleaning duckweed from my cull tanks today and saw an Amano shrimp doing this:

Fighting string algae in the newly redone Osaka.

It's VERY difficult to manually remove from moss, since it takes moss with it. If I hadn't added shrimp already I'd blast it with Excel. Impatience gets the better of me sometimes.

#12 ·
For me, the biggest current news is that after 4 months one of my female PRL's is finally berried. It was such a joy to see. Here are a couple of pics- the tank and the berried female:

https://vimeo.com/399740282

The other recent news is that I moved my Royal Blue tigers from my Spec V to my 30 gallon. I had some pretty substantial losses in this tank- lost 5 within a few months and after considering many possible variables, determined that the Controsoil may be the culprit. So, I moved the tigers in with my wild neo's and babaulti on sand. Since moving, they are doing really well. Hoping within the next couple months they settle in and reproduce. This is the 30 gallon they were moved into.

https://vimeo.com/398073558

#14 ·

Here is a bad cellphone photo of the 7.5g cube. This tank, I think, is going to be for the Black Nanancy.

I have more DHG coming to fill in the front a bit. I've been considering ordering some crypt spiralis for background plants. Haven't totally made up my mind with what I want to put in the back yet but that is what I am leaning towards.

I'll try and get some better photos when I find the camera.

#17 ·
Current state of my office tank. It needs a little trim. I want to rescape the rock as the placement doesn't look natural, and as soon as I can source more rock and find bigger pieces, I will. For now, the plants seem happy and the fish, shrimp and snail all seem content. Started with 10 RCS and I must have 30-40 now.

Attachments

#23 ·
I think I will be starting a 20g standard tank soon. I'm thinking about doing inverts only, with some stem plants. I would like to attempt to keep one species of shrimp that has some attractive colours/traits, like crystal red, golden bee, rili, or orange eye blue tiger. My tap water is moderately hard, and I have easy access to RO water if needed. Substrate will be Seachem Fluorite Red, and can be capped with PFS or BDBS.

Any suggestions on which shrimps and plants you would personally do? Assume low tech with the possibility of CO2 down the line, with moderate light.

#24 ·
Any suggestions on which shrimps and plants you would personally do? Assume low tech with the possibility of CO2 down the line, with moderate light.
I always feel that what I would put in an aquarium should have no bearing on what anyone else should but a clean slate is always fun. I can only say that I would have no Java moss or duckweed, and no shrimp that revert to wild form. The next one I set up, I don't want to even think about removing culls or or corralling plants.

If you go with RO water, it's a considerable increase in level of effort that the tank needs. I only have an RO unit at my store and have to haul water for one home tank and I'm over it already. Some tigers like tangerines and supers can usually adapt to moderate tap water. If you have an RO unit in the same house as your tank, by all means go for it though. In my experience, Flourite is hard to cap for long with sand. I've only tried it twice, but in both cases after vacuuming a few times, the sand made its way to the bottom layer.

#26 ·
Pretty sure I sold that species a time or two when I sold fish. They not your typical dwarf shrimp. Warm water BIG shrimp for starters, and also filter feed if memory serves me. I don't think they breed in aquariums, but I should probably google up on them before saying anything! But for sure, they aren't like your standard Neos and Caridina shrimp.

#27 ·
filter-feeders in sump...

I'm planning a large planted congo river tank with a 55 converted into a sump. I'd like to have the refugium in this sump devoted to Atya gabonensis and maybe some killies. I've had some success doing this before with neos in a smaller set-up for apistos. Locked away in the sump the pink tiger shrimp really proliferated quite well. Hopefully the vampires respond to these conditions as well.
The plants are in and the tank is cycling now. It's a 120 high with mostly aponogeton bulbs, bolbitis, and anubias. For now the sump is full of susswasertang and java moss on a peat/sand mix. Inline co2.
I'll try to get some pics once i put the fish in. They're in quarantine for now:

Alestes tetra

H. liliflali
L. congoensis
Pelmatochromis buettikoferi
N. transvestitus (might go in sump)
A. scheeli (also in the sump)

#28 ·
We need pics, Splatt!

I just bought some white dominant fancy red tigers. They won't be arriving for another 10 days or so but I can't wait. I'll get more pictures of the tank tomorrow, with new plants, and then more pictures when the shrimp arrive.

Blue Steel will be coming very soon too.

#31 ·
@newportjon
Give us a rolling chair commentary like @Blue Ridge Reef— it makes it so much better[emoji4]

Haha, it wouldn't be a long tour as I only have two tanks! I'll make sure to take a bunch of pictures/videos once I finally add the shrimp. Starting the cycle for the 3rd tank in the coming days.

@Epitaph - Hey, can we see some pics of your other metallic blue boas? If your cull looks that good the rest must be stunning! Also, you plan on selling any of those? I'd be interested in them for sure. Those shrimp are amazing and you're the first person I've with them in a tank.

#30 ·
I am waiting for my berried "tangerine tigers" to release their eggs. I purchased some tangerines last December but I noticed they were losing their orange hue and most started to show white and black bands/blotches. I am curious on what exactly they are so I set up a small tank for them and also use it as a grow out tank for my cories. After the eggs hatch, I will most likely sell them off or give them away if they don't sell after the whole pandemic crisis is over as I am 99% sure they are not pure tangerines.

This is when I caught them into a container to go into separate tank:
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

And now when they matured into adults. I noticed a few berried recently, the berried one in the middle is the only one that resembles a tangerine. The rest became clear bodied or have black blotches/stripes on their bodies:
Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

All the female pintos in my shrimp tank are also berried and soon to give birth.
Plant Green Terrestrial plant Organism Insect

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass

And a metallic blue boa cull:
Plant Plant community Leaf Terrestrial plant Organism

#32 ·
Going to have to start moving shrimp out of my 10G pretty soon I think. The betta/pencilfish/guppy are not controlling numbers at all it seems. Went to do the weekly water change in which I usually vac the gravel and tens of small shrimp were flying around in the suction tube. Plus have about 3 or 4 berried females to boot in that tank.

Need a new betta lol.

#33 ·
Ten gallon snail and "clippings" tank hosting six red cherry shrimp - all females:

Three times I have added to the colony only to have it reduce to all females - wth. Maybe have a black widow rcs. Saw a couple of berried females after the second addition and two shrimplets but nothing since. Just trimmed the M. micranthemoides because it looked similar to this:

My other ten gallon tank of trimmings. Home to a single female snowball shrimp. Gonna be looking for some more male mates.

#35 ·
So, I ordered some plants from a forum member a few days ago and they arrived this afternoon. I was unpacking them when I noticed a baby shrimp on the inside of the bag. I thought it was dead but it started swimming when I added some tank water to the bag. I couldn't believe it. Then I noticed another one came crawling out of the mini-pellia clump I had just tossed into one of my tanks.(Score!) I had to scramble to get the tank ready(ish) for them. I will move them into another tank when the Fancy tigers arrive next week.

The hitchhikers:

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures. I will, eventually, find my wife's camera and start using it!

#36 ·
I need help I cant give water parameter because it's been a while since I went to my lfs.set up my new aquascape and my snails all died however it's not like due to any kind of shock because I'm struggling with colomnaris. Before I had no issue but they live today and turn white the next but not their shell their foot only and freeze in the last position they were in when my betta is fine showing no signs of sickness but the snails just die

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.