Jobe's housepant fert spikes & inverts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jobe's housepant fert spikes & inverts

Ok. I have bad google-fu. My H2O2 fiasco was a classic example - killed my nerites.

So BEFORE I put some Jobe's houseplant fertilizers sticks in my substrate - does anyone know if they are invertabrate-safe?

They don't say anything abou ferns on the package just "for beautiful houseplants". They are 13-4-5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't take this the wrong way but real talk... you dont have bad Google-fu. You are too lazy to understand the basics of what shrimp require in the first place to keep them safe. Secondly, you are too lazy to understand the basics of fertilizing aquatic plants and have chosen a house plant fertilizer for it instead of the myriad of premade mixes specifically for aquariums.

You should not be gambling on animal's lives imo.

Start here for shrimp and try to get a solid understanding of TDS, gh, kh and ph: https://aquariumbreeder.com/water-pa...n-shrimp-tank/

Fertilizers is a much larger topic and I suggest using a set and forget method like this until you get a solid grip on it (some never want to): https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/a...-right-for-you
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 PM
Algae Grower

I have a bit of a landscape background, and IMO jobe spikes are cheaply made, and heavy with salts. Yes all ferts are one form of salt or another, but these are on the high side.

I’d avoid them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionUnFiltered View Post
I have a bit of a landscape background, and IMO jobe spikes are cheaply made, and heavy with salts. Yes all ferts are one form of salt or another, but these are on the high side.

I’d avoid them.
So essentially the same as scooping in normal dry fert salts that enter the water column immediately instead of over a long time?

Sounds like a disaster for TDS and kh.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode