Sexing Bloody Mary Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sexing Bloody Mary Shrimp

Long story short, I bought 4 blue tiger shrimp for my betta tank. It didn't work out for them, one was eaten so I set up a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank. The thing is, on black substrate you cant see blue tiger shrimp very well and I wanted more shrimp. So I bought some Bloody Mary shrimp online. I got 6 of them and I want to make sure I have male and females because I want them to breed. I have never bred any aquarium fish or shrimp so I don't know much. I did plenty of research however, so I have an idea.

I have posted 6 pictures, one of each shrimp. I believe I have at least one male and female and the odds are in my favor regardless. I just want a more experienced shrimp keepers opinion. Any tips to care and breed them would be greatly appreciated! Also, do they look like Bloody Marys, I have never kept cherry, BM or fire red shrimp before so I don't know the difference? I just know that bloody Marys are much more striking in their color. How do they look to you guys? I personally like them no matter what!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrimp1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	895041  

Name:	Shrimp2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	895043  

Name:	Shrimp3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	895045  

Name:	Shrimp4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	895047  

Name:	Shrimp5.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	895049  

Name:	Shrimp6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	895051  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Guess #4 is male rest are females. Thats my guess anyways. One thing if you notice the white racing stripe down there backs those are almost always females. Plus the females have the saddle if you will, that part just forward of the abdomine I think it is that drops down and almost looks like a shield for the eggs if you will.

I had real nice painted red cherries but have no experience with bloody marys. They are all cross bred now so I dont get the high quality I started out with. Im sure zoidburg will be along in a bit. I will say I remember a discussion that the bloody marys have a little different nose shape to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Guess #4 is male rest are females. Thats my guess anyways. One thing if you notice the white racing stripe down there backs those are almost always females. Plus the females have the saddle if you will, that part just forward of the abdomine I think it is that drops down and almost looks like a shield for the eggs if you will.

I had real nice painted red cherries but have no experience with bloody marys. They are all cross bred now so I dont get the high quality I started out with. Im sure zoidburg will be along in a bit. I will say I remember a discussion that the bloody marys have a little different nose shape to them.
Yea, I agree with you that 4 is male because of how less colorful it is. Im interested see what other people think too. Thats cool, I didn't know that if they had that strep that means they are a female most of the time!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't know a lot about them but the Bloody Marys have a translucent shell. Regular cherries are more opaque.
kfox likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@kfox Yeah males can be generally less colorful from what I have scene on my RCS but some are also very nicely colored. Its hard to judge size as well in pics. Generally the males stay smaller, have a thinner straighter body overall. If you look at the females (once they get old enough) the first part of the abdomen behind the carapace will be fuller/rounder looking. Basically looks like another carapace behind the actual carapace. Believe this is called the saddle. They form this once they get to adult hood if I remember correctly.

The young ones are difficult for me personally to tell the difference. Especially the wild type NEOs that I have some of, right now there is one that looks almost like a male but has a full group of youngsters hanging on.
kfox likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
@kfox Yeah males can be generally less colorful from what I have scene on my RCS but some are also very nicely colored. Its hard to judge size as well in pics. Generally the males stay smaller, have a thinner straighter body overall. If you look at the females (once they get old enough) the first part of the abdomen behind the carapace will be fuller/rounder looking. Basically looks like another carapace behind the actual carapace. Believe this is called the saddle. They form this once they get to adult hood if I remember correctly.

The young ones are difficult for me personally to tell the difference. Especially the wild type NEOs that I have some of, right now there is one that looks almost like a male but has a full group of youngsters hanging on.
Great info, thank you!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
The "saddle" is a term used to describe eggs being visible through the carapace, right behind the head. Saddles come and go with egg cycles, not a permanent part of the body. Saddled is eggs on the inside, Berried is eggs (now fertilized) on the outside. PFR (painted fire reds) usually have such an opaque shell that is difficult to see the saddle, for example

The fuller/ rounder base of the tail is the easiest way to identify females, thinner straighter bodies on males

Females' tail profile is more like a Paisley while males are straight underneath

Here is some more info on it
Zoidburg, Quint and kfox like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 03-20-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: correction
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Based on those pictures I would say that all but the last picture are males. I could be off because it can be a little hard to see in these pictures but I'd say you at least definitely have one female. #3 could also possibly be a female but its hard to tell in the picture. As others have mentioned, I sex shrimp based on the shape of their tails
kfox likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
My vote is: 1,2,3,6= female.. 4= male.. 5= likely young female, already looks saddled but not full grown enough to have a super pronounced curve...

Another distinguishing trait is the 2nd tail segment. On males, every tail segment will overlap the segment after it. On females, the 2nd segment overlaps the one before and after. Attached pics are not of neocaridina but are the closest I could find to illustrate this characteristic... Females have the 2nd segment shaped like the one labelled "Pleuron". Not always easy to see in shrimp pics but may help you in person while looking at them. Male tail segments are arranged and shaped more like the second attached pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pleuron.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	895063  

Attached Images

Zoidburg and zmartin like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 02:21 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I agree that all are females except #4. 1,2,3, & 6 are even berried to varying degrees.
IKeepShrimp and kfox like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
My vote is: 1,2,3,6= female.. 4= male.. 5= likely young female, already looks saddled but not full grown enough to have a super pronounced curve...

Another distinguishing trait is the 2nd tail segment. On males, every tail segment will overlap the segment after it. On females, the 2nd segment overlaps the one before and after. Attached pics are not of neocaridina but are the closest I could find to illustrate this characteristic... Females have the 2nd segment shaped like the one labelled "Pleuron". Not always easy to see in shrimp pics but may help you in person while looking at them. Male tail segments are arranged and shaped more like the second attached pic
Wow, that is very interesting! There are just a bunch of small details that you have to look at and that is so cool to me! I will look at the shrimp and see if I can spot those differences.

Bump: Thank you all for the great info, I am going to look at the shrimp and try to get better images. If I remember right, if I have one or two males and the rest are females, that is a good ratio that I want right?

Last edited by kfox; 03-20-2020 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would trust everyone else's opinions over my own because alot of these guys have been doing it for a while and I'm a relative newbie. But for a frame of reference here is a picture of one of my currently berried females and one of my males so you can compare the two. (Ignore the red circle, that is just a baby shrimp that I highlighted when I took the picture for something else)

Name:	image000000.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	895069
^Male

Name:	image000001.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	895067
^Female

Make a note that the female is currently berried so she is probably rounder or fuller than usual but you should get the general idea. The males, in my limited experience, seem to be smaller and usually missing those ridges in the tail that are commonly referred to as the "saddle".
Zoidburg and kfox like this.

Last edited by IKeepShrimp; 03-20-2020 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Identifying which is which
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKeepShrimp View Post
I would trust everyone else's opinions over my own because alot of these guys have been doing it for a while and I'm a relative newbie. But for a frame of reference here is a picture of one of my currently berried females and one of my males so you can compare the two. (Ignore the red circle, that is just a baby shrimp that I highlighted when I took the picture for something else)

Attachment 895069
^Male

Attachment 895067
^Female

Make a note that the female is currently berried so she is probably rounder or fuller than usual but you should get the general idea. The males, in my limited experience, seem to be smaller and usually missing those ridges in the tail that are commonly referred to as the "saddle".
I trust you more than myself! Thank you for the picture I can see the difference!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would guess at least 1-2 males and the rest females!

And to me... they do not look like bloody mary! Then again, without the right setup/camera, bloody mary do not look like bloody mary in pictures! It can be hard to capture their true colors!

@IKeepShrimp's male looks more like a bloody mary (from picture alone) than what yours @kfox appear to be. Although it's true that females are generally better colored than males, that's not necessarily true with bloody mary. That is to say that in a good bloody mary line, the males can have just as outstanding coloration as females! So I'd have to say that they are either not bloody mary, or they are not "well bred" bloody mary.

As far as care goes.... please make sure you know your water parameters! This includes GH and KH at minimum, using liquid test kits. (not strips!) Feed an algae based diet as well - please read ingredients! Many "algae pellets" are algae infused - not algae based. With so few shrimp, you probably don't need to feed more than once or twice a week - and in minute amounts!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I would guess at least 1-2 males and the rest females!

And to me... they do not look like bloody mary! Then again, without the right setup/camera, bloody mary do not look like bloody mary in pictures! It can be hard to capture their true colors!

@IKeepShrimp's male looks more like a bloody mary (from picture alone) than what yours @kfox appear to be. Although it's true that females are generally better colored than males, that's not necessarily true with bloody mary. That is to say that in a good bloody mary line, the males can have just as outstanding coloration as females! So I'd have to say that they are either not bloody mary, or they are not "well bred" bloody mary.

As far as care goes.... please make sure you know your water parameters! This includes GH and KH at minimum, using liquid test kits. (not strips!) Feed an algae based diet as well - please read ingredients! Many "algae pellets" are algae infused - not algae based. With so few shrimp, you probably don't need to feed more than once or twice a week - and in minute amounts!
Hello Zoidburg! Thank you for your info. Im thinking they aren't Bloody Marys either. They just don't look like pictures that you see from others. Plus as I look more and more at the rostrum, they aren't that short. I am going to try to get a decent picture of one of them. Since I ordered Bloody Mary, I want to make sure I got Bloody Mary. So any more opinions on what you think they are would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am going to try to get better pictures. Water parameters are great so no worry there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode