Shrimp Postpartum? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Shrimp Postpartum?

I have a small 3 gallon tank, which has a single red female cherry shrimp and a single black male cherry shrimp. The red has become pregnant by the black shrimp twice, and dropped all her eggs both times. I have read some new mothers are confused and end up dropping them out of irritation, but could it be due to an incompatibility of genetics?

This third time I noticed she became inactive, and has been sitting in the corner of the tank for at least 2 weeks doing nothing. From what I can tell she has not had her eggs for these two weeks, whether she dropped them and I don't see them or my Betta ate them...or they hatched and my Betta ate the fry. Its just weird to see her hiding in the plants in the same corner so consistently rather than out grazing.

Do shrimp experience postpartum? She seems kind of depressed in the corner....maybe she witnessed the Betta eating her fry??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would guess that either something in the tank is stressing her out (i.e. the betta or parameters) or something you might be doing could be stressing her out.

Any chance that something in the tank has changed within the past few weeks?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No changes, except for the use of Thrive+ but I did a water change last night. Still monitoring behavior after WC.

-
-
-

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wait, is this a serious question or just a novel way to get a real answer?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Wait, is this a serious question or just a novel way to get a real answer?
Both

-
-
-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is she larger (adult) shrimp?

I have noticed that my adult female RCS tend to find spots and hang out in that general area. The males and young both sexes are all over the tanks it seems. Once the females get to about an inch or start looking like adults they tend to congegrate in the denser planted areas and dont seem to interested in exploring the tank especially if they have all the food they need. Now if they get hungry they come out more and if there are no fish they tend to explore more. Just my experience.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Both
Heh its the betta.

Put her in a tank with only shrimp and you will likely see more movement.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah its got to be my Betta. I have housed and even bred RCS in a Betta tank before, just had luck with a grateful fish I guess. This tank is only about 10 weeks old or so, and I bought a Plakat on purpose because they are typically a more genetically natural species and therefor less aggressive than something like a crown tail from what I read. I have had these RCS in this tank with him the whole time and never had a problem, he always leaves them alone but maybe he just realized he cant catch them and gave up.

However I have been fasting him on Sundays for the last few weeks (controversial I know) and apparently he had enough this last Sunday because he ate this shrimp finally...never showed any interest in them. So I added a black shrimp, and a yellow one. Well they both jumped out of the tank so he is clearly chasing them, I found in the past thats what RCS will do if they are chased they tend to jump right out. I know add a lid, but I am all about the rimless tanks.

This probably explains the previous miscarriages, just stressed the eggs out. The shrimp started out strong and fearless for weeks. I have one last idea because I refuse to maintain a planted tank without shrimp. I am going to put an Amano shrimp in here...they can be crawlers like little hobos but I have found they put up with more BS from Bettas. Plus I can get massively large Amanos from my LFS in Tampa FL that no Betta has a chance at. The problem is I do not like feeding my cleanup crew because for me its about balance; more food = more water changes. So to me this 3 gallon would be too small for an Amano, they seem to eat 5x as much as a RCS. This is why I just donated 1 of my 3 horned Nerites back to the store, my glass was too clean!

-
-
-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You are probably correct. Even with a lid if there are any openings the shrimps will make it out. Gotta fix the open gap in back of my lid because the RCS keep getting out of my 10g. The betta with them doesnt seem to chase them however they just get out, they hang out in the open all the time and the betta is very slow they just jump out one or two a month it seems.

Bettas are funny creatures, mine hates the dark brown/black NEOs. If ya drop one in he will go after it like its a cheeseburger but the RCS, wilds, and false amanos he doesnt even notice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode