2Likes
  • 1 Post By houstonreef
  • 1 Post By Hujeta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Style/Artistic Aquascape Shrimp Tank

I am a beginner of shrimp keeping. I have been reading, seeing pictures and watching videos to understand how to keep shrimps alive. Please correct me if I am wrong because I barely see a healthy shrimp tank that has a nice aquascape Like a show tank and the tank is kept clean. Most of tanks I see with a decent colony has no aquascape style and cleanliness not up to bar.

At this point, I am not successful on shrimp keeping because they still die here and there. I want to create a shrimp tank that I really want to look at with some aquascape and the cleanliness is up to bar without brown/green algea on glass And absolutely no sponge filter is used. Therefore It does not sore my eyes. Ultimate goal is that I can place it in my living room where I can enjoy it and be proud of it.

Am I in the wrong path of how to keep shrimps? Please share experience and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 10:27 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm in the exact same boat. I have breeding tanks overrun with duckweed and moss but my own goal in my home is shrimp tanks that are aesthetically beautiful. Ferts and CO2 can present challenges that do not exist in low tech tanks, but I firmly believe it can be done and am a few weeks into attempting it. Journal here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...akeover-4.html

I have photos of these from when they were low tech just crawling with shrimp. And they were pretty enough tanks. Low tech tanks can be quite beautiful, obviously. But my feeling is that with CO2, moderate lighting and ferts, they can look amazing and still be good shrimp habitats. I don't anticipate being able to grow blood red Rotala in these tanks, but I do think they can be beautiful aquascapes with healthy plants that have thriving shrimp colonies. I'm just having to see what plants will do best in them for these first few months.

I am not a believer in dirty shrimp tanks being ideal. I do use leaf litter and other decaying plant matter, but I've had far better luck since being religious about water changes and keeping things squeaky clean (by shrimp tank standards, anyway). I had my waves of tank populations exploding when I was more lax on them, but it was usually temporary and almost always Neos. Tanks weirdly do get better at being shrimp tanks the longer they have been set up, but I don't think that correlates with dirtier environments. Though having said that, I have cherries living in a dirty 40 degree outdoor pond right now.

These are strange creatures, these little crustaceans we fuss over. They can do so well for periods, then dwindle in numbers. They hate changes in their environments and will die or at least stop breeding sometimes after exposed to parameter changes -even to much better parameters. If a change is sudden, it's probably a bad idea. I have 4 tanks of different Neo colors and some are blowing up and others are not. None are dying, but some colors are out producing others by miles. All are same species. All are in the same tank size, same water, same substrate, filtration, food, etc. And one tank hardly sees any berry while the one beside it has 100 babies on the glass right now.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know that aquascape is vary and depends on skills and experience to create a nice aquascape. My point is that keep the shrimp tank CLEAN.
So far I have 2 bee tanks. One is ok but no productive population happens yet and the other one is not. All parameters is in the range but I donít know why. On the other hand, a 30g is dedicated to plants and cardinal tetra but I just have a love on shrimps so I add neo in there and take out all tetra because I believe that tetra eats all shrimplet. At this point, I see some baby shrimps in 30g.

Since I started in planted tanks I spent tons of money on amano, neo, and caridia. But I have not found success yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't focus on human-level clean for my tanks, but I run organic soil, which is one of many paths in this hobby. I do not gravel vac, but I do stock shrimp, snails, otocinclus, loaches, etc, to take care of that layer for me, as well as cleaning the glass. I run my lights and such just enough to have a sustainable level of algae and biofilm for my shrimp, snails, and bottom feeders. This is certainly not the only way.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Nano Plant Spectrum LED, Top Fin MF10, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What you are asking for is indeed quite possible... however, in order to figure out how to keep shrimp successfully, you must first know what you might be doing wrong and how to fix that.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

One thing I found out that was a part of shrimp keeping failure is my TDS meter. I got one cheaply on Amazon and used it for a while. One day it thought I have been trying everything I can accordingly via reading and advise from members. I decided to get a decent TDS and PH meter to compare my current one. The moment has come when 2 TDS meters comparing side by side. The old one shows 1/2 values of new One. Letísay the old one shows 50 ppm and new one is 100 ppm. At this point I get no other sources to confirm the new one is more accurate. Anyway I decide to go with the new TDS meter and adjust the water accordingly. Bee shrimps seem more happily and actively and new stock adds in and I have not seen a death body yet in my 15g. Now Time will tell me more and learn more on this new shrimp tank.

Zoidburg likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreef View Post
One thing I found out that was a part of shrimp keeping failure is my TDS meter. I got one cheaply on Amazon and used it for a while. One day it thought I have been trying everything I can accordingly via reading and advise from members. I decided to get a decent TDS and PH meter to compare my current one. The moment has come when 2 TDS meters comparing side by side. The old one shows 1/2 values of new One. Letísay the old one shows 50 ppm and new one is 100 ppm. At this point I get no other sources to confirm the new one is more accurate. Anyway I decide to go with the new TDS meter and adjust the water accordingly. Bee shrimps seem more happily and actively and new stock adds in and I have not seen a death body yet in my 15g. Now Time will tell me more and learn more on this new shrimp tank.

Which TDS meter did you go with? I have one but I suspect that it's incorrect, so I ordered a new one. That said, they were both cheap.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportjon View Post
Which TDS meter did you go with? I have one but I suspect that it's incorrect, so I ordered a new one. That said, they were both cheap.
I bought Apera PC60. it is a combination of PH, TDS, EC, Salt, and Temp.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreef View Post
I am a beginner of shrimp keeping. I have been reading, seeing pictures and watching videos to understand how to keep shrimps alive. Please correct me if I am wrong because I barely see a healthy shrimp tank that has a nice aquascape Like a show tank and the tank is kept clean. Most of tanks I see with a decent colony has no aquascape style and cleanliness not up to bar.

At this point, I am not successful on shrimp keeping because they still die here and there. I want to create a shrimp tank that I really want to look at with some aquascape and the cleanliness is up to bar without brown/green algea on glass And absolutely no sponge filter is used. Therefore It does not sore my eyes. Ultimate goal is that I can place it in my living room where I can enjoy it and be proud of it.

Am I in the wrong path of how to keep shrimps? Please share experience and opinions.
Speaking in very general terms, a big reason is maintenance. Shrimp usually don't fare well with big weekly 50% water changes that a lot of stem heavy aquascapes require. But you can have a clean beautiful shrimp tank that is prolific. Stick with mosses, buces, java ferns, anubias and stuff that doesn't require much fertilization. IMO these plants look great once left alone for months to do their thing. We also don't see a lot of aquascaping in shrimp tanks due to a lot of shrimp tanks are for breeding shrimp for profit, or for easy culling where permanent features can get in the way

A sponge filter can be hidden behind a large bunch of NLJF, for example... I'd at least put a sponge prefilter on any power filter intake to keep the babies out. It'll offer a grazing spot for shrimps and won't clog as quickly as the SS screen shrimp guards

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 03-16-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: sponge bit
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Speaking in very general terms, a big reason is maintenance. Shrimp usually don't fare well with big weekly 50% water changes that a lot of stem heavy aquascapes require. But you can have a clean beautiful shrimp tank that is prolific. Stick with mosses, buces, java ferns, anubias and stuff that doesn't require much fertilization. IMO these plants look great once left alone for months to do their thing. We also don't see a lot of aquascaping in shrimp tanks due to a lot of shrimp tanks are for breeding shrimp for profit, or for easy culling where permanent features can get in the way

A sponge filter can be hidden behind a large bunch of NLJF, for example... I'd at least put a sponge prefilter on any power filter intake to keep the babies out. It'll offer a grazing spot for shrimps and won't clog as quickly as the SS screen shrimp guards
i agree with you on the plant selection. That is what i am having now. both of my tanks are fluval that use internal filter compartment.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Planted Member

I'm trying to do the very same as yourself - have a nice natural aestethically pleasing tank with shrimp (and community fish down the line). I also run CO≤ and medium lighting. Just starting up, and won't try breeding as I have amanos, but you can have a look in my journal in my signature if you want to see how I'm gonna try to accomplish this.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
inspired by nature

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode