Plants with Apple Snails - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoodleAquatics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants with Apple Snails

Any recommendations for plants I could add (low tech) that an apple snail won't eat?

Ive tried:
Anubias
Crypt
Sword
Hornwort
Wisteria
Anacharis
Moneywort
Ludwigia

I was going to go for hornwort again and float a giant mass of it...

Will apple snails eat marimo moss balls? Ive wanted to try those but didnt wanna fork out the money just to have it eaten within a night. No plant lasts longer than 24 hours.

And these snails are fed their own foods (veggies, shrimp pellets, herbivore pellets, etc) daily, and they still devour entire plants.

I have plants in every tank, except this one. The snails are my son's, he loves them and so do i, but plaaaannnnts lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

There are different snails sold under the name of "Apple snails". Some are plant safe. Others are not plant safe and will eat anything. Sounds like you have Pomacea canaliculata or Canas Apple Snail. Some people sell mystery snails as apple snails but they are different. Mystery snails are largely plant safe whereas Canas are definitely NOT plant safe. Some people have reported the marimo moss balls as not being eaten. Another person reported amazon swords as not being eaten. /shrug

This all coming from google searches btw. It sounds like you have a tough one. Good luck and let us know if you find something working out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
There are different snails sold under the name of "Apple snails". Some are plant safe. Others are not plant safe and will eat anything. Sounds like you have Pomacea canaliculata or Canas Apple Snail. Some people sell mystery snails as apple snails but they are different. Mystery snails are largely plant safe whereas Canas are definitely NOT plant safe. Some people have reported the marimo moss balls as not being eaten. Another person reported amazon swords as not being eaten. /shrug

This all coming from google searches btw. It sounds like you have a tough one. Good luck and let us know if you find something working out.
Yeah i have at least 1 cana. Shes adorable but shes a plant eating monster lol she was sold as a mystery but eating habits and shell shape and size mark her as a cana.

Heck, i got driftwood in with her now and shes eating that too.

Im going to try floating a lot of hornwort and hope cant reach all of it, so even if she eats what she can reach, some of it can recover...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_174905_1583978758596.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	894729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200123_193305_1583978784264.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	894731  

minorhero likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode