4Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Crazygar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is Anyone feeding specifically for their shrimp?

I have a full planted tank. It's about two months old. Full of plants to the point where I'm starting to have to trim certain species back. Shrimp seem happy. Always picking at something. I feed twice daily thinking I need to keep enough food in the tank for the shrimp. I put fifty or so regular cherry shrimp in about a month ago. Very few casualties that I've seen.

My question is....

Do people with lots of shrimp in their planted tanks feed specifically for the shrimp, or do you just let them work through the scraps?

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 12:27 AM

mine feed on a bit of algae in the tank and scraps from the flake and the tetra delicas that i feed the neons. sometimes i drop an algae biscuit in , sometimes a jbl novo tab and the shrimp go mad. like break the biscuit in half. youll soon find out how many shrimp are really hiding in their. i have 30-50 red cheerys and 5-6 amanos. 20 neons, 2 siamese algae eaters and 4 otos. oh, and 5 x cpds
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 01:31 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have some tanks set up just to breed shrimp and obviously I do feed those. But unless numbers are really out of control I rarely feed my planted displays that happen to have shrimp in them. I wouldn't expect a two month old tank with 50 cherries to have a ton of food, though you didn't mention the tank size. Assuming this is under 50ish gallons, I'd probably feed them at least once weekly in that scenario. My rule of thumb is, as long as they swarm the food I put in, it was time to feed them.
mgeorges likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I feed foods specifically formulated for shrimp.
Namely, this food made by a forum member.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ator-more.html
Blue Ridge Reef and mgeorges like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depends on the shrimp also. In both my tanks I feed the fish once a day. The shrimp always go into feeding frenzy mode trying to beat out the fish at getting the food. The false amanos especially. They will act like they havnt eaten in a week, will steal entire carnivore pellets and run off with them. Its funny watching the neos try to gang up on a algae wafer while the cory cats are also trying to devour it.

So in my case they work thru the scraps, I make sure enough food is in there for the fish but the shrimp manage to get there fill. There are always pieces of food the fish cant/wont find or be able to pick up (except for the corys).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I have some tanks set up just to breed shrimp and obviously I do feed those. But unless numbers are really out of control I rarely feed my planted displays that happen to have shrimp in them. I wouldn't expect a two month old tank with 50 cherries to have a ton of food, though you didn't mention the tank size. Assuming this is under 50ish gallons, I'd probably feed them at least once weekly in that scenario. My rule of thumb is, as long as they swarm the food I put in, it was time to feed them.
I'm using a sixty gallon cube. Thats 24x24x24. I feel like they are doing well. I've only found one dead shrimp so far. I have a pretty peaceful setup. Generally I can only see about a dozen or so at a time, but I assume there are way more that i can't spot. I haven't been feeding specifically for them as I am sort of counting on their hunger to help keep the tank tidy. Just making sure I'm on the right track

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Planted Member

I feed on alternate days (Mon - Wed - Fri). The rest of the time, it's their job to find whatever scraps (this includes my 19 Chili Rasboras) they can and eat away.

In nature, food may not always be abundant. While I can't simulate it, I can use it to my advantage. Besides, it helps my snail population, still working on drawing their numbers down further.

Gary
Zoidburg likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 05:47 PM

I have just a 10 Gal set up for RCS. Originally 8 shrimp. Now about 6 weeks into a breeding cycle. At at most have counted 47 babies-juveniles. Lightly planted with anubius nana, java moss, moss ball. Only sponge filters. I have a capa leaf in there most of the time, cholla wood, and, a few times a week will give some Hakari shrimp granules. I've also tried the ZooMed nano banquet blocks with spirulina. Shrimp seem to enjoy it. Lasts about 4 days. Picture shows the Zoo Med block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_133034_1584035092036.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	4.37 MB
ID:	894743  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode