• 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Meggb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Horrible Snail Problem

Hello all,
I got new plants in November, from an online store. They are still healthy and great, but I must not have cleaned them well enough because now all of a sudden I am seeing TONS of tiny snails. I’ve been picking them out when I see them, I started using a snail trap made of a Tupperware container with holes in it and food. So far the trap works ok, but there are still so many.

I have about 11 blue velvet shrimp, 2 of which are about to give birth. I know when the babies get born they will be small enough to get caught in the snail trap so I’ll have to take it out.

Is there any way to get rid of these suckers that doesn’t involve pulling everything up and starting over? Last time I redid my tank I lost someShrimp. And they are killer to catch in the first place.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I’ve had shrimp tanks for almost 3 years now and this is the first snail infestation I’ve ever had to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Either get some assassin snails, assuming there are no other snails you want to keep, or remove them one by one, either by crushing or using a pipette.

Another option is putting a nuked romaine leaf in a bowl and leaving it on the substrate overnight. Next day, just remove it carefully. Should be covered with pest snails.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

If they are exploding, it means they are cleaning up left over food or dead/dying plant matter. It may be that you are overfeeding or have unhealthy plants. Once their food sources are consumed, or eliminated, they should die back. I intentionally try to keep ramshorns alive in my tank. I've had episodes where the tank is so clean that they all die after hatching and that's the end of them. So, i now provide food that only they will eat.
Blue Ridge Reef and treyhoff like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 10:32 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Agree with Deanna. I deliberately add pond, bladder, trumpet and ramshorn snails to every tank I set up. They keep old growth leaves free of algae and make the tank healthier. If their population is getting out of hand, it's almost always because of overfeeding. Nothing reproduces past its resources, and we provide the resources.
Deanna and Desert Pupfish like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice.

I have literally never fed anything in my tank. My shrimp are doing just fine with that. So it must plant matter. Everything is growing fast. I do have more lighting than I did in my last tank.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggb View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I have literally never fed anything in my tank. My shrimp are doing just fine with that. So it must plant matter. Everything is growing fast. I do have more lighting than I did in my last tank.
They will also eat biofilm and some algae that may accumulate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:54 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggb View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I have literally never fed anything in my tank. My shrimp are doing just fine with that.
It is so refreshing to hear that. Until you get high numbers of shrimp, I firmly believe that's the way to keep them. When I first got into them, I boiled veggies, and fed every food made and they did fine. I quickly realized that the ones I was throwing into other tanks were exploding though meanwhile. Less is definitely more with them. When their populations get high they'll need to be fed but there's an awful lot of shrimp food growing in a planted tank.

You could have just had a few egg clusters on your new plants. Each one can hatch scores of snails. If they run out of food, you should see fewer of them soon. And manual removal isn't too hard if you leave a slice of veggie in overnight, it will usually have snails all over it by morning and be pulled out snails and all.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode