Kinda starting over - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Set up a 10 gallon for my girlfriends betta that was living in a 1 gallon bowl when I met her. Had it set up with a nice piece of driftwood, some anubias, a ton of java moss tied to the wood, and a pretty decent mass of water wisteria. Other inhabitants were a few ghost shrimp, and 2 nerite snails. The tank ran flawlessly with tons of growth on all the plants for about 10 months, then out of nowhere (still confused about this) without adding anything new to the tank, I had a sudden explosion of TINY snails, at first I thought they might be baby nerites even though they supposedly cant reproduce in freshwater. But the numbers kept increasing, until I was removing between 40 and 50 a day, and the numbers kept increasing, even as I was removing them, more and more started appearing. I upped my water changes, hoping to remove detritus and take away the food source. Next thing I know, the moss suddenly turns brown literally in the span of like 2 days, there are thousands and thousands of these tiny snails on the remnant of the moss (smaller than a pin head, I mean tiny, and they never seem to get bigger) the shrimp all died shortly after the moss went, then a nerite. I'm finally stumped and am wanting to just nuke these little terrorist snails, and kinda go back to square one. I got a bottle of cupramine and want to remove the nerite, and eradicate the tiny ones. The issue I'm having is this, I would eventually like to reintroduce the nerite, and some more shrimp. If I dose with the cupramine, how would I go about removing the cupramine to make the tank save for inverts again? Obviously water changes, but will this stuff soak into the wood and substrate, and render the tank permanently invert unfriendly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've kept fish for decades, and am not an over feeder, and do a 20%ish water change weekly, water parameters are good, though my tap does have a bit of nitrate, but nothing super crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What about disinfecting the plants by themselves and heating up the tank (once inhabitants removed safely) to 100 or so (aka boiling hot water) if you really want to start over.

The snails are likely harmless though, just fast reproducers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is a thought, how does one go about heating the tank that high, how long would it need to be that way to thoroughly eliminate the little suckers. I don't think they are harmless, based on my observation, they are almost certainly what wiped out the moss, and ate the wisteria mass down to smaller than a ping pong ball (was 8" high and 6" across or so). It also seems strange, though I dont see the correlation, that when they showed up, everything else seemed to die off (shrimps the nerite, plant growth ceased) is the cupramine not a good option even with excessive water changes to remove it after the die off?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What type of substrate and filtration do you have on this tank? Have a pic of tank when it was doing good?

Snails will only expand population in relation to how much food is available to them. Then you went overboard with to many/much water changes and/or improperly prepped water and shocked/killed moss. It takes really severe shifts in water chemistry to kill java moss. Then all dead moss just made more food for snails.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The filtration is just a tiny hang on back filter, probably a touch small for the tank honestly, but with the light stocking, I didnt think itd be an issue, and dont think its causing issues. The substrate is a black volcanic looking gravel that was sold as a plant substrate, I think it was carib sea eco complete but couldn't swear to it. The moss seemed to be thriving right up until it all turned brown and died in literally just a few days(tons of growth, regular pruning) I never realized how many snails there were until the moss died, then I realized that there were thousands of them in the moss. I could be wrong, but it really seemed like they wiped the moss out, as well as the wisteria. I forgot to mention earlier that literally the moment the moss died back, hair algae started appearing where previously, I had very very minimal algae of any kind. No photos of it at it's best, but I might have one or two of it before it was completely set up (just moss and a single anubias, and dwarf hair grass, which never made it, it was removed not long after initial set up)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_183450_1583034390453.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	894111  

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 04:10 AM
Algae Grower

Why not stick in some assassin snails (they may take the nerites out too)?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would love to use assassins, but the nerite is fine, and he would certainly fall prey to the assassin. I may go that route anyway though. Maybe set up another tank in my studio, and move the nerite for a while. I actually took the advice of trying to "burn" them out. Drained the tank, took the plants out and gave them a short copper bath re filled the tank with hot water (not quite as hot as will come out of the tap, but pretty damn warm) thinking it would certainly wipe them out, but 2 days later, I saw one on the glass, and within a week, I was back up to dozens.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode