• 3 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Berried RCS are there eyes in the eggs?

Saw a berried RCS at petco, had to get it. My question is how far along are the eggs? I'm worried she'll molt soon with the water conditions changing in the move. Pictures incoming! Thanks for any assistance you can give!
IMG_3205 by J Doe, on Flickr
IMG_3219 by J Doe, on Flickr
IMG_3223 by J Doe, on Flickr
IMG_3224 by J Doe, on Flickr
IMG_3225 by J Doe, on Flickr
IMG_3228 by J Doe, on Flickr
IMG_3230 by J Doe, on Flickr
IMG_3233 by J Doe, on Flickr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
If you can see eyes, they're close to hatching. Days, not weeks. Generally 2-3, depending upon conditions.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Well, how'd it go, @frogmanjared? Any shrimplets zooming around?
frogmanjared likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:23 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I also want to comment that your yellow shrimp might the the yellowest I've ever seen! She's a banana!
frogmanjared likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Well, how'd it go, @frogmanjared? Any shrimplets zooming around?
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I also want to comment that your yellow shrimp might the the yellowest I've ever seen! She's a banana!
I bought some fish from petco... and I saw a yellow shrimp in my tank my next water change... free is the best! Sadly, she dropped every clutch she ever tried to carry Same with my original colony of RCS I bought for this tank.

Below:
Sadly, there were no eyes in the eggs, it was just my imagination! I noticed she had no eggs two days ago, and its been my first day off since then. An hour or so of stalking my tank like a hawk, I noticed something zoom across and land on something dark. It will be impossible to guess how many there are since about 1/4 of the sand is covered in subwasstertang! I guess the length around 2mm at less than 3 days old. The two female RCS are saddled, and close to molting, so I'm hoping for some berries soon!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Congrats,

FYI much easier to spot the babies after lights out, use a small light (cell phone, pen light, small flashlight....). Atleast thats the easiest way I have come to find baby anything in my tanks.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 04:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
They are small and fast
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good news I guess... I had only seen two at a time once when they were first hatched. For the past weeks I've only seen one. Now that they are closer to 1/4" I saw 3 at a time. A little sad there aren't more, but hopefully one is a male. The males I have are infertile. I'm not sure if I give up on shrimp or not.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How do you know you have an infertile male shrimp?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
How do you know you have an infertile male shrimp?

I've never had a berried shrimp in this tank. Maybe they are fertile, but the females drop. I thought with that one female I got from petco that she would berry fine. But she molted and dropped just like the others. I put the eggs in my diy tumbler, but they disintegrated by the next day, infertile. That's my guess. I've had luck with RCS before, so maybe its just this tank. I think I might be done trying and just let these live out their lives, turn it into a CPD tank. There's been 100% fry survival!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've had females not berry up for several months... and no, not just because it was winter.... they haven't berried up at other times as well.

If you are sure you have males and females then I would guess it's something else.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode