Stressed snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stressed snails

Hello Everyone! I have a bit of a problem with some ostracods - copepods. I've read several times that they are a good sign of water quality, however they are bothering my poor black racer Nerites to death! I have had this tank set up for 3 months now and everyone was fine until this outbreak came out of nowhere. I thought they were harmless so I let everyone be. my cherry shrimp is fine, however since the outbreak I keep seeing my snails closed up on the gravel with the little buggers all over them. I also see them running all over the snails flesh not just the shell and I saw when one racer closed up they got stuck in the shell with the snail.

So far I've increased lighting duration to 10 hour straight: maybe the newcomers are simply outpacing the snails for food (the glass and plants are very clean)
I've added 5 neon tetras, they'll bully/eat any bug floating but they are pretty blind to the ones in the gravel
I added a boiled green bean for the snails to eat but they just ran away from it, the bugs swarmed the hell out of it though

I don't know what else to do here, anyone got advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't have advice for the species you mention. However, I don't think increasing lighting is ever a problem-solving move, unless everything else is good.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
What size tank? Also take lights back to previous time or u will suffer algae outbreak once the little critters are under control. They are annoying but feast on algae.

Do u have room for so e more small fish, as noted neons aren't great for that. CPDs embers dwarf rasboras are better for cleaning up tiny critters in my experience.

Tags
bugs, invertebrates, pests, snail dying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode