5Likes
  • 3 Post By AquaAurora
  • 2 Post By Swamp Thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail identification (picture)

I've got at least one little visitor in my new planted tank, he's really tiny at the moment, about 3mm, and this second pic is the best quick picture I could get of him with a macro lens on the back back wall.

It looks like it should be this guy when he grows up. I haven't really thought about snails much in my tank. Should I let him grow and multiply, or cull it out whenever I have a chance while it's tiny?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3836Feb 21 2020.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	893685  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

https://aquariumbreeder.com/pond-sna...-and-breeding/

pond snail spirals right, bladder shell spirals left. bladder also has spots.. soo thinking bladder
edit:
imo snails are a healthy natural part of an aquarium ecosystem. They eat diatoms/biofilm/dead plant matte/uneaten fish food. If you have a ton of them then you have too much of one of the for-mentioned food sources. Its an easy way to tell if the aquarium is out of balance. I keep them mainly for the diatoms/biofilm munching.
They do poop ALOT. And if you see 1 there will be more. So if you don't mind trading off cleaning away algae for cleaning up poop they're fine.
If you want them gone manually remove (don't just squish and leave in tank-other snails will eat them). You can blanch some leafy green put it in the tank over night and quickly remove it and all snails on it before lights on next day-will take a few times.
You can use product No Planaria to kill snails (shrimp/fish/plant/filter bacteria safe).
There are copper based meds that kill snails but they will make your tank unsafe for shrimp or future 'pet snails' (mystery, nerite etc).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the great thorough reply! I've been doing so much research about all the other aspects of my tank, I really didn't feel like taking up the whole topic of snails yet! So much to learn!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:55 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
That's a really pretty bladder snail! Mine are usually as brown as your average pond snail. I'm a fan of them in planted tanks and add them as soon as I set a new one up. I try to keep bladder, pond, Malaysian trumpet and ramshorn going in at least one tank at all times. They keep your leaves clean and glass cleanish and are great algae control if you keep them hungry. Plus they're all pretty good at finding any food should you overfeed. But like AquaAuroa said, if you overfeed with any regularity at all, you'll have a swarm of them. But as long as you don't you won't have that problem. Nothing reproduces past its resources and we provide the resources. They're easy enough to kill off should you ever decide to but I hope that you won't -they're a net benefit to the planted ecosystem.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got a better picture of him, I've still only seen just one at a time. I hope his babies are as nice looking as he is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4120Feb 23 2020.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	893799  

Zoidburg and Cinnamonamon like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode