Black military helmet nerites have not moved in WEEKS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black military helmet nerites have not moved in WEEKS

Hi,

Around mid December I bought four milltary helmet nerites from my lfs (reputable place in Portland). They seemed to move around quite a bit for the first two weeks or so, but they have not moved in almost a month. I have taken each of them out two or three times to smell them and check the trap door. Trap doors are firm and there is no smell at all.

A few weeks ago I did notice a few dragonfly nymphs in my tank when I saw one biting one of the nerites. I pulled all the nerites out and put them in a 1g jar for a few days while I scoured the tank and killed every nymph I saw, and have seen none since.

Could the snails be hiding in fear, not aware the nymphs are gone?

I've read that they can hibernate for a several days, but this seems odd.

Tank is 20g, heavily planted, and has about 20 celestial pearl danios and 15 orange Sakura shrimp which are all thriving. Around 10-15ppm nitrate (i fertilize every 2 days), 0ppm nitrite, 0ppm ammonia. Water is naturally soft here (2-3 TDS from tap), but I mineralize to about 120 with salty shrimp. Ph is usually 6-6.5.

Any insight or advice is welcome and appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Weeks is a little on the long side, I understand your concern. But you've done the two big tests and it sounds like they passed: sniff test and operculum check.

A pH of 6 is on the low side for them and may be a contributing factor. 6.5 is still kinda the low end, but it's been done. If your shrimp are thriving, I'd assume the tank would be tolerable for nerites though... Have you tried coaxing them out with food? I'd arrange them in a square, around an algae wafer (better yet, some zucchini or kale, etc) and see if any break formation

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode