What you favorite snail and why? - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What you favorite snail and why?

Just at the title says, what is your favorite type of snail to keep in a planted tank and why? I post this as I consider adding some type of snail to my tank. I have, up until recently, been the person who fears snails and a population explosion, unsightliness, etc... I recently 'adopted' a pond/ bladder snail in a plant purchase, and have actually found myself enjoying it cruse around the aquarium.

So, I pose the question; What is your favorite and why? Bonus points for pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
The golden mystery snail is perfect for comedy relief but I prefer the look of the nerites. See tank journal for some pics.

Snail Glades,
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nerites are good looking and munch algae like crazy but my favorites are MTS. They eat algae (atleast babies do), they root around in the sand, and they eat left over everything. As long as ur tank isn't over fed they stay in control as well, plus I like how the adults look.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:27 PM
Algae Grower

I just ordered snails for the 1st time, have gotten many "Free" snails if you know what I mean... but got 3 Nerite's coming and actually pretty excited. The free ones (100's) I have do a great job cleaning algae and I don't get why people wouldn't like them except for overbreeding of course.

#TheLand
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:34 PM
Algae Grower

I like my little ramshorn snails. Most people consider them a pest, but they eat algae and decaying plant matter, they love my hard water, they don't leave little white eggs everywhere that are impossible to remove, and some of them get some pretty iridescent colors in their shells.

The only bad thing is they do reproduce easily, but I just remove the extras when I do tank maintenance.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnovince View Post
I just ordered snails for the 1st time, have gotten many "Free" snails if you know what I mean... but got 3 Nerite's coming and actually pretty excited. The free ones (100's) I have do a great job cleaning algae and I don't get why people wouldn't like them except for overbreeding of course.
Overbreeding and aesthetics, at least for me. I'd rather use my biofilter capacity for beautiful snails and shrimp than grotesque things like bladder snails or ramshorns.

Another wonderful thing about nerites is that they don't breed in the tank, so I can have large numbers of them. Mystery and chopstick snails I can only keep singly, but that just makes them centerpieces.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

Here's a pic of a free one, no clue what kind or considered nuisance. But I love 'em Edit: Added another because it mouth showed up great lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_153939_1581280952152.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	893127  

Name:	20200209_153029_1581281093836.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	893129  

Name:	20200209_153932_1581281240436.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	893131  

Name:	Snail_1581281492880.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	893133  

#TheLand
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnovince View Post
Here's a pic of a free one, no clue what kind or considered nuisance. But I love 'em Edit: Added another because it mouth showed up great lol
That's a bladder snail or pond snail. Yes, usually considered a nuisance. I don't like them because they look like bloated ticks to me...probably the elongated shell. But they will clean algae and detritus like other snails, and you will have a never-ending population of them.

gnovince likes this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by athyra_firestorm View Post
That's a bladder snail or pond snail. Yes, usually considered a nuisance. I don't like them because they look like bloated ticks to me...probably the elongated shell. But they will clean algae and detritus like other snails, and you will have a never-ending population of them.

Yeah I figured! Thanks for the ID. I guess if gets out of hand I could get a couple assassin snails or loaches. Lightly stocked in this tank so far as it's a newer tank. I personally have a hard time killing anything so we'll see. Lol

#TheLand
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by athyra_firestorm View Post
I like my little ramshorn snails. Most people consider them a pest, but they eat algae and decaying plant matter, they love my hard water, they don't leave little white eggs everywhere that are impossible to remove, and some of them get some pretty iridescent colors in their shells.

The only bad thing is they do reproduce easily, but I just remove the extras when I do tank maintenance.

These are the ones I have been thinking to get. Do they get large? I don't want massive snails in this tank.

|

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
These are the ones I have been thinking to get. Do they get large? I don't want massive snails in this tank.
Hey, no don't get those, just get regular ramshorn not the mini ramshorn. The mini's are really tiny like a mm or two. You want regular ramshorn, they usually are available in blues, reds, leopard patterns and get to be around 1/2" - 3/4"
Grobbins48 likes this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:06 PM
Planted Member

Usain

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Hey, no don't get those, just get regular ramshorn not the mini ramshorn. The mini's are really tiny like a mm or two. You want regular ramshorn, they usually are available in blues, reds, leopard patterns and get to be around 1/2" - 3/4"
Okay, good to know! I'll research those more. Snails... a world I though I would never research. Shrimp soon maybe?? Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post

Usain
That is pretty sweet looking- thanks for sharing!

|

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post

Usain
Yep, that's the one you want.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I love nerite snails as hard workers and green spot algae cleaners.
Ramshrons snails are my fav 'pest' snail for diatoms. Blue leopard ramshorn are the jackpot-use to have but can't find the old old old photos.
MTS are good for sand substrate to sift and avoid air pockets+ give poop root feeding plants like swords.
See my avatar for nerite, giant brown ramshorns (with pink ramshorn following and pond snail ontop of) below
Asteroid likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode