What you favorite snail and why? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nerites are really beautiful, it's a much more substantial snail then the ramshorn at a little over 1". Some of the patterns are pretty cool. Mine are your typical zebra. These will go out of water. I have found them on the rim of my tank, so for these guys I would recommend a top. Here's two of mine:

Greggz, ererer and Desert Pupfish like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Asteroid; 02-10-2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
These are the ones I have been thinking to get. Do they get large? I don't want massive snails in this tank.
No, the largest ones I have ever seen in my tanks have only been about a centimeter or so. They are pretty unobtrusive. I hardly notice them except for early in the morning when the lights have just come on, then I see them on the glass. Otherwise I have to search around to find them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Nerites are really beautiful, it's a much more substantial snail then the ramshorn at a little over 1". Some of the patterns are pretty cool. Mine are your typical zebra. These will go out of water. I have found them on the rim of my tank, so for these guys I would recommend a top. Here's two of mine:

Lovely photo! I've had a few zebrea nerite. Would like a horned nerite some day.
They will climb out of the tank entirely. When my 55g sprang a leak (seam on bottom pane of glass-worst.place.possible.) I had an emergency move everything to a 40g breeder, when the 55g was fixed I could not find my nerite-it had climbed out during the move back. Found it before it dried up (or was eaten by dog) thankfully.
Asteroid likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Lovely photo! I've had a few zebrea nerite. Would like a horned nerite some day.
They will climb out of the tank entirely. When my 55g sprang a leak (seam on bottom pane of glass-worst.place.possible.) I had an emergency move everything to a 40g breeder, when the 55g was fixed I could not find my nerite-it had climbed out during the move back. Found it before it dried up (or was eaten by dog) thankfully.
Thanks, I was looking at those horned ones too, but it will have to wait since all tanks I have going are open-top and besides my dog is on a strict diet.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A combination of MTS and assassins. The MTS because they're pretty much unavoidable, it seems, they keep the substrate clean & aerated, and the babies are very efficient algae eaters. The assassins because they keep the MTS under control--eating the big ones but leaving the babies, multiply slowly to match their food source, will eat uneaten food, and devour any fish that might die while I'm out of town so they don't foul the tank. And because they're pretty in their own right with their brown & yellow striped shells.

I'm fascinated by the giant Sulawesi rabbit snails, and the Sulawesi chopstick snails. The chopstick snails will aerate the substrate, and the rabbit snails are large and impressive, but there are some reports they may eat some plants. Both are supposed to breed slowly, and prefer warm & hard water.. Does anyone have experience with these snails, and will they eat plants?
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Thanks, I was looking at those horned ones too, but it will have to wait since all tanks I have going are open-top and besides my dog is on a strict diet.
Haha
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
besides my dog is on a strict diet.
It's not the escargot, it's the garlic butter....
Asteroid and Cinnamonamon like this.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I like pond snails. I don't have good evidence but my BBA became much more tame when they are abundant. Now my catfish keep eating them or their eggs and the numbers are dwindling.
gnovince likes this.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
It's not the escargot, it's the garlic butter....
LOL, I'm sure your right.

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

Black Racer Nerite! They gallop around and also dive in the substrate along the glass and eats the algae on the glass under the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trahana: now with a custom signature. ...
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like the free ones the best.

The ones that came in my recent online plant order were typical bladders. The newly hatched ones feed my Chopra Danios, and the ones that survive end up eating the algae in my shrimp tanks. Everyone wins!
gnovince and Desert Pupfish like this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nerites, without an hesitation.
Those fellows are hard workers and clean your tank from algae like no other snail does
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I feel like my hesitation with nerites is the eggs they lay. They are the ones that make tanks look like an Auntie Anne's Pretzel, right??
Deedledee likes this.

|

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I feel like my hesitation with nerites is the eggs they lay. They are the ones that make tanks look like an Auntie Anne's Pretzel, right??
Yep.

Grobbins48 likes this.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by athyra_firestorm View Post
Yep.

Yup, exactly that! Thanks for sharing.

Ramshorn may be the right direction for me.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode