Red color on Amano Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red color on Amano Shrimp

Monday evening my planted tank was officially cycled. My first aquarium since I was a kid, and my first actual planted tank. Ammonia was at 0, nitrite at 0, and nitrate at about 20. I was dosing with Ammonia to 3ppm.

I went to Petco ( only place around besides PetSmart) to grab some new friends. I picked up 2 Nerite snails and 2 Amano Shrimp. As I understand, their bio-load is miniscule and they help clean the aquarium up. Knowing this, I grabbed 2 Lyretail Molly's and 2 Bumble Bee Platy's as well. I have a 20 Gallon so I don't think this is overwhelming after a cycle. I could be wrong.

Sorry for the lengthy intro to my problem but It may help. All the new inhabitants have been active and seemingly healthy, but today I noticed a red area on one of my Amano Shrimp that was not there two days ago. The red area is right behind it's head and it looks internal.

My heater has a cover on it and the temperature was set to 78f, so I do not believe it's a burn. I have since set the heater to 77f. Could it be an infection or disease that will affect my snails, fish, and other Amano? See attached photo.

Also, one of the Platy's I took home started giving birth. I'm off to a great start. Hopefully whatever babies survive do not interrupt the cycle until I can re-home them.

Setup:
20 Gallon High
CaribSea Eco substrate
Fluval E 100 watt heater
Fluval 30 Filter w/media, sponge, and carbon.
3 Amazon swords
1 Anubias
3 Java Fern
Spider wood
Cholla wood

Using API test kit and Tap Conditioner.

Current readings:
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20
PH 7.6

There has been a slight rise in ammonia, so I did a 20 percent water change today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200205_193925_1580953471198.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	4.68 MB
ID:	892957  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From that picture it looks to me like one of the false amanos you can get at petco. Several threads on them to read thru if you wish. Here is a recent one with bunch of pics False amano thread

What happens is when they are brought home all stressed out and what not many lose most of there color. As they get use to everything and start eating and what not they get there color back. Assuming I am right it will probably darken some more, the area right now will stay the darkest. It will also appear the darkest (overall) after a fresh molting.
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I just realized that I received a response. And you are absolutely right. That particular shrimp became darker and does not have markings typical of an Amano. Just wish I knew what type of shrimp it is. I don't want them to start multiplying.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to read more about it!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc321111 View Post
Thank you! I just realized that I received a response. And you are absolutely right. That particular shrimp became darker and does not have markings typical of an Amano. Just wish I knew what type of shrimp it is. I don't want them to start multiplying.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to read more about it!
Probably Caridina typus sp and, thus far, to my knowledge, breed like amanos... that is, they breed perfectly well in freshwater, but offspring do not survive in freshwater and will perish within a week's time.

I have come across someone saying they are breeding and reproducing, but I haven't seen any proof yet that offspring are surviving in freshwater.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Are there any good sources for true Amano? I have found a few sites that seem reputable, but I don't want to spend a ton on "true" Amanos and they end up being "false."

Thanks again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 07:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can check the for sale section of the forum. Always a good idea to buy straight from fellow hobbyists and I think most people have pretty good experiences around here.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I have terrible eyesight, but I cannot find the sale section. Could it be because I'm on mobile? I've scrolled through the forum index. Is it within a particular section?

Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc321111 View Post
Maybe I have terrible eyesight, but I cannot find the sale section. Could it be because I'm on mobile? I've scrolled through the forum index. Is it within a particular section?

Thanks!

Doesnt show up in mobile from what I can tell. When viewing regular website on my laptop it is there however. You can switch to normal mode or whatever it is on your mobile I believe. I didnt like the swap after I did it though so went back to mobile on my phone. I only use the phone on the weekends for web surfing and laptop the rest of the week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode