Berried Royal Blue Tiger - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 08:33 PM
snails are your friend
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,649
I'm considering doing the same for a while. If no babies by midsummer, I'm going to have to try them off of ADA and RO though. That is assuming I still have any females left by this point. I think I'd down to 8-10 OEBTs total at this point.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'm considering doing the same for a while. If no babies by midsummer, I'm going to have to try them off of ADA and RO though. That is assuming I still have any females left by this point. I think I'd down to 8-10 OEBTs total at this point.
Me too. . Keep me posted on how you do.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Discusluv is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,049
The lack of water changes doesn't take into account pheromones and a depletion of nutrients in the water column... micro and macro nutrients. At least with the water changes, even if small, you would be removing some of that stuff and adding more in.

My current shrimp tank gets, at best, infrequent water changes. I may go months between adding fresh water! Tank is also overrun with plants... I have frogbit with leaves that may be larger than a half dollar coin and there's so much of it that it's "climbing" (or is that growing?) out of the water now... (leaves that have no room to float, so they are growing up instead of to the side)

I need to clean some buckets and find some fresh water... (I haven't bought my own RO machine, so the store it is!)
Blue Ridge Reef and LarryMac like this.
Zoidburg is online now  
 
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
The lack of water changes doesn't take into account pheromones and a depletion of nutrients in the water column... micro and macro nutrients. At least with the water changes, even if small, you would be removing some of that stuff and adding more in.

My current shrimp tank gets, at best, infrequent water changes. I may go months between adding fresh water! Tank is also overrun with plants... I have frogbit with leaves that may be larger than a half dollar coin and there's so much of it that it's "climbing" (or is that growing?) out of the water now... (leaves that have no room to float, so they are growing up instead of to the side)

I need to clean some buckets and find some fresh water... (I haven't bought my own RO machine, so the store it is!)
I dont know. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Discusluv is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 5,064
Been doing a lot of moving between tanks in preparation of transferring my Royal blue tigers from the Spec V with Controsoil to one with inert substrate. They will be housed with the wild neo's and c.babaulti. I will hope they do not cross with the babaulti. I dont have much choice, I cannot set up another tank and cant keep them where they are. I think I have about 5 of the original 15 I purchased. This makes me sad. But, I think that Controsoil is just not too good to use with shrimp like these. The yellow neo's are doing great, though.
Eventually, I will need to take the Controsoil out of my 2 PRL tanks as well, haven't lost any, but not breeding either.

To make room for the switch I first took the Ram fry out of the neo/babaulti tank and put by themselves in my other 30 gallon.
Then, the adult rams that were in this 30, I transferred into the 60 with my discus. I have another male/female dark pair in my 10g- trying to induce another spawn.
Took out heater and waiting for the temp to go back down/ Also, will do a water change and adjust TDS a bit to match the tank the Tigers are coming from.

Hoping this will do the trick!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Discusluv is offline  
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:19 PM
snails are your friend
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,649
Oh man, I saw this thread had been updated and was SO hoping for baby pictures! Please let us know how it goes, as you know I'm in the same boat with these. Was looking at them today and realized that most I have left seem to be male too...

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Oh man, I saw this thread had been updated and was SO hoping for baby pictures! Please let us know how it goes, as you know I'm in the same boat with these. Was looking at them today and realized that most I have left seem to be male too...
I wish. No, just cannot stomach anymore dying.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Discusluv is offline  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 PM
snails are your friend
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,649
Now that the pintos finally produced, OEBT is the only dwarf shrimp mutation I've tried that I haven't gotten babies from. I feel like there's something different about them. Care sheets are pretty worthless since most tend to just cut and paste "OEBT" over the other tiger shrimp name. The breeder I got mine from says he just keeps them like bees and they do well. Others say they don't use buffering soils or 0 KH water and they do well. You and I have had no luck keeping them the former way so I'm about ready to do the same thing you have started on.

Shame about the PRLs. If you ever want some CRS, let me know. They aren't PRL but are pretty and breed like yellow Neos on buffering soils.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (31/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Been doing a lot of moving between tanks in preparation of transferring my Royal blue tigers from the Spec V with Controsoil to one with inert substrate. They will be housed with the wild neo's and c.babaulti. I will hope they do not cross with the babaulti. I dont have much choice, I cannot set up another tank and cant keep them where they are. I think I have about 5 of the original 15 I purchased. This makes me sad. But, I think that Controsoil is just not too good to use with shrimp like these. The yellow neo's are doing great, though.
Eventually, I will need to take the Controsoil out of my 2 PRL tanks as well, haven't lost any, but not breeding either.

To make room for the switch I first took the Ram fry out of the neo/babaulti tank and put by themselves in my other 30 gallon.
Then, the adult rams that were in this 30, I transferred into the 60 with my discus. I have another male/female dark pair in my 10g- trying to induce another spawn.
Took out heater and waiting for the temp to go back down/ Also, will do a water change and adjust TDS a bit to match the tank the Tigers are coming from.

Hoping this will do the trick!
I wouldn't worry about the tigers crossbreeding with C. cf. babaulti. Don't think C. cf. babaulti green and C. cf. babaulti zebra can cross with each other either. Never seen or heard anyone successfully crossbred them before. If anything, you would actually hope they crossbreed; completely untested new shrimps and $$$.
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

VICTOR PIMP #53 SGT-500-40-4F-2S-DK
Epitaph is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 5,064
Moved 5 Blue Tigers from the tank today. I donít think there are any more than that- but, Iíll keep watching the tank and move over any more that see.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Discusluv is offline  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 5,064
Surprise, surprise! Found 3 more blue tigers over last couple days .
Total up to 8/15. maybe some more will sneak out of the rock ledge in next new days. I am relieved there are more alive than thought.
I think Im going to just leave this tank "as is" for the yellow neos because they are not at all bothered by the active soil. Breed like crazy! Took 2 bags ( 12 juveniles) total to the aquarium society meeting last night and they were a big hit! They are such a pretty yellow. A light yellow color with a golden stripe down its back.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Discusluv is offline  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Parkland, Florida
Posts: 17
They look fine. But she had her swimmerets full for sure. Thatís great. Slight color variation of eggs is ok. You may get some lighter shade shrimplets. The darker the blue, the darker or brownish looking the eggs are. They will be beautiful. It should be about 3 weeks till they arrive.
Discusluv likes this.
Shrimpini is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Parkland, Florida
Posts: 17
There is really no information on if they will cross breed with each other. I was planning to do my next tank with green babaulti and another neo...maybe dream blue. Not sure if you green will make babies with the zebras but if they do...they will be quite pretty. You guys are making me want to start cycling my next tank. Iím trying so hard to pace myself. Also really wanting a giant beta.......ugggg....I need some control
Discusluv likes this.
Shrimpini is offline  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpini View Post
There is really no information on if they will cross breed with each other. I was planning to do my next tank with green babaulti and another neo...maybe dream blue. Not sure if you green will make babies with the zebras but if they do...they will be quite pretty. You guys are making me want to start cycling my next tank. Iím trying so hard to pace myself. Also really wanting a giant beta.......ugggg....I need some control
Shrimp are addicting. No one will help you with self-control here.
Shrimpini likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Discusluv is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 12:28 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Parkland, Florida
Posts: 17
I have an ongoing KH management situation. If it drops to non readable on the test, the shrimp are lethargic. Put 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda per 7.5 gallons in the tank. Mix it with some tank water first then pour in. You will see a huge difference in 30 minutes in the shrimp activity. I do this about once a week when my kh gets to 2 and it pops it up to 3 without making the ph change. If kh is a problem in the shrimp...you will also notice their tails bending odd. I would do this ASAP. You can also purchase seachem alkalinity but I am afraid to use it along with acid buffer for fear that I will do it wrong. But those 2 products used together with slowly raise kh and keep ph under 7.4. You can target the ph you want, But do the baking soda first to buy you some time.
Shrimpini is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome