pest snails - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
All in all its a primary battle like you said with taking care of the parameters the best we can and cleaning as necessary. In the end I really like my cory cats and OTOs, the girls really like the shrimps and OTOs and cory cats, and the tank as a whole seems to do well with the various "cleaners" Ive got in there. IMHO having a well rounded stocking of critters in my tanks makes it seem a tad more natural considering the un-natural nature of these setups.
Yep I get that. Get the critters because you like them.

I added the snails because my wife and daughter kept asking me to. They like watching them roam around the tank. I'd add shrimp too if my Bows didn't mow them down.

But honestly I think none of them makes much difference to the tank in the scheme of things.

And algae...oh yeah it's always lurking and probing for a weakness. I have some pictures in my thread where I let my guard down, and it got ugly quick. But once you understand what brings it on, you know what to do to knock it back down. Well, as much as you can. There is always a little in EVERY tank.....it's only a matter of degree.
Quint and Desert Pupfish like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:31 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would second the idea of puffers - and, while you need to be careful about tankmates, pea puffers would be a good choice, just don't put them in with something that will eat them. I once had a 75g tank that had tons of snails - adding 5 pea puffers reduced the snail population within two weeks - they even tried to go after my Nerites and they were three or more times bigger than the puffers....

Also realize that the tank will balance itself out - Carefully consider your lighting to control algae and evaluate whether you are overfeeding or over fertilizing. Very often modifying those two will create a new balance. In general, make very minor changes and you will get to where you want to be.

I would strongly recommend avoiding introduction of chemical treatments.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They probably help alot less/not at all in a high tech tank with a person that has good control on parameters and understands how to adjust when conditions change. I think they help with my low tech tanks BUT people need to understand its not gonna be add a few new critters and have a sparkling clean tank in a couple of days (or ever).

Thats just me though. Heck my parents shop had undergravel filters in all our freshwater tanks for years (12 or 15 yrs I think) with common air plumbed to all of them except the big tanks which had power heads on em. In the display tanks there were many critters that lived there many/most of those years as "display pets" if you will. This was in the 80s/early 90s, mention using a UG filter now a days and its like ya ran over someones dog or cat lol. We even had discus ........
Greggz and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
And your right, the best clean up crew is you. Vacuuming out waste is immediate, it's even more effective to rid the tank of ammonia than having it go to the filter where it's still part of the system until you clean it.
And yet the conventional wisdom from this forum on planted invert tanks seems to be to not vacuum mulm. I haven't noticed any issues with Bloody Mary and babaulti shrimp or various snails, at least that's obviously related to that. Now that I've added somewhat finicky OEBT, you've gotten my attention. Would you please elaborate?

Snail Glades,
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
@Greggz lol coming from the guy with the immaculate high tech tank with an amazing planted scaping,
Indeed Greggz tank is stunning.

Quote:
You mean BM plecos right, LOL.
Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)

Quote:
And yet the conventional wisdom from this forum on planted invert tanks seems to be to not vacuum mulm
In my tanks vacuuming is not possible in most cases, However this only applies to heavily planted tanks.

Try vacuuming the substrate in this.

Last edited by HairyNoseWombat; 02-06-2020 at 02:38 AM. Reason: ll
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
It's just advice, not necessarily bad advice.

As @Quint stated so well, we're all responsible for doing our homework to make sure the solutions we implement will work, and be good for all our livestock.

Probably the best thing to do when someone poses the question "what do I do about X?" is to not just say "do Y", but take the time to explain the whys, wherefores, and consequences of that suggestion. And remember that they're just that--suggestions.
@Desert Pupfish is very wise---
And---
I have been guilty of calling out "bad advice" as well -- many times without modifying my words to make it appear more palatable- nice.

I can be caustic at times- I know this. But, I hope that everyone that knows me on this forum has noticed Ive been trying to do better.

Why? Because this is a community I am part of and I value it and its members highly.

I still feel that some advise its just plain bad though lol--- but, tell you what, if you see me say someone else's advice is bad you call me on it.

Instead, I will say that I respectively disagree and explain why...

Sound like a plan?

post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:31 PM
Algae Grower

Even with Eleocharis I do a sweep of the substrate with my water change wand. Simply move it lightly side to side about 1" from the hairgrass. I was surprised how much gunk still sits in amongst the plants.

Using this motion kicks up a good deal into the water column where you can make a game of chasing it down.

I also run it through my Blyxa.

I'm not a fan of using a Biological Solution to a Biological Problem. I've considered Assassins in the past, but honestly, they'd starve quickly in my tank. The old fashioned elbow grease works the best.

If I am walking past a few are at the water line, they are gone. My version of Logan's Run.

Snails, I'll manually remove, but still a few remain. The population seems to keep itself to a minimum and only appears when conditions are right in the tank for a good photograph.

Gary

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:28 PM

If you really don't want the snails, you could move the cory cats out of the tank for a few days, and put a few pea puffers in the tank to eat the snails. After they have eaten the snails you can return them to the fish store and put the cory cats back in the tank.

Bump: If you really don't want the snails, you could move the cory cats out of the tank for a few days, and put a few pea puffers in the tank to eat the snails. After they have eaten the snails you can return them to the fish store and put the cory cats back in the tank.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:37 PM
Algae Grower

Cories like crushed snails a la glass. Mine come over for a feast when they hear it.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fish View Post
I would second the idea of puffers - and, while you need to be careful about tankmates, pea puffers would be a good choice, just don't put them in with something that will eat them. I once had a 75g tank that had tons of snails - adding 5 pea puffers reduced the snail population within two weeks - they even tried to go after my Nerites and they were three or more times bigger than the puffers.....
The problem with puffers is not just what fish might eat them, but what fish they may try to eat. I got a couple to deal with an MTS outbreak resulting from an algae outbreak. The larger puffer bullied the smaller to death in a matter of days, but after that he was a model citizen enjoying his all-you-can-eat escargot buffet for many months. But then overnight he turned into a delinquent and started chomping on the fins of angels 5x his size, and even some of the much faster male guppies. He was quickly packed off to reform school....

In retrospect, I probably should have had the patience to wait for the assassins to do their job--slowly expanding their population to match that of the MTS. But while he behaved, the puffer was one of my favorite fish in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode