pest snails - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
I get shouted down for saying things like that by some of the members here.
Not being mean about it. Just some people look for the 'quick fix' and don't think about the long term-now you have another life form to feed/provide a good environment for (water params/proper filtration/hiding places/keeping other fish or inverts out that aren't compatible (aka would eat them or out compete for food once snails are gone), etc).
I'm guilty of it- for using nerites for green spot algae. I don't keep anything with them that may try to eat them (or peck out eyes/antenna), I can't clean any glass walls now so there's plenty of food for it-I only clean what it doesn't eat (hair algae in that tank).
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

"I'd not recommend using other live fish/snails to eat a 'pest snails' as you now have to provide for that fish/snail too."

Quote:
I get shouted down for saying things like that by some of the members here.
I must have missed the "shouting down" posts. The purpose of this forum for people to share a variety of opinions on what works for them in their tanks. There aren't right or wrong answers to most questions (even if you think there are). If you'd word things more diplomatically, e.g. "remember, if you use other live fish/snails to eat 'pest snails' you now have to provide for that fish/snail too" you probably wouldn't elicit such strong responses.

On a written forum like this, how you write things matters.....
Greggz and Asteroid like this.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
On a written forum like this, how you write things matters.....
It's very true. I now insert IMO or IMHO (very rarely) when I make a statement even though I know I'm right
Greggz likes this.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I'd not recommend using other live fish/snails to eat a 'pest snails' as you now have to provide for that fish/snail too.
Sell/return/RAOK them after their work is done. It's nothing personal; they're mercenary molluscs looking for their next big job. Call'em Hazel and Cha-Cha if that helps.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Snail Glades,
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
... Just some people look for the 'quick fix' and don't think about the long term-now you have another life form to feed/provide a good environment for (water params/proper filtration/hiding places/keeping other fish or inverts out that aren't compatible (aka would eat them or out compete for food once snails are gone), etc)..
i often wonder about the whole "clean up crew" concept. Whether they are in their for algae or eating leftover food they still will affect the load in that tank. For example I have 20 or so RCS in my tank. After I feed they come out and eat whatever tiny amounts are leftover. After they go back into hiding, my beautiful pool filter sand looks like salt n pepper.

I don't over feed and I usually surface vacuum anyway, so it's hard for me to believe that they are net positive with organic load.
Greggz and HairyNoseWombat like this.

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well as long as you can take care of whatever you put in there then go for it "IMHO". Every fish and invertebrate we currently purchase and put in the tanks requires varying levels of care so it shouldnt be that odd to have to provide for algae eaters or ......

Some do 50% water changes almost everyday taking care of there discus so adding a slice of squash once or twice a week shouldnt be a big deal, after the algae gets diminished to a point requiring it. How many people have fish that require live food and raise this food on a regular basis or create salt water environments to raise amano shrimp babies with algae water and adjustments to freshwater over time.

All part of the process/hobby.

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

Hi

Quote:
How many people have fish that require live food and raise this food on a regular basis or create salt water environments to raise amano shrimp babies with algae water and adjustments to freshwater over time.
Yes you are correct we do all this and more, but we do it because we want those fish, we have researched their needs and provide what they need.

Adding critter XXX to deal with problem YYY is not a solution because once the problem is solved you still have the critters to care for.

I stand by my comments, advising somebody to get critters to deal with a problem is bad advice.
Discusluv likes this.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Hi

Yes you are correct we do all this and more, but we do it because we want those fish, we have researched their needs and provide what they need.

Adding critter XXX to deal with problem YYY is not a solution because once the problem is solved you still have the critters to care for.

I stand by my comments, advising somebody to get critters to deal with a problem is bad advice.
Agreed.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi

Not an issue at all as long as they do the same research they did for the pretty "center piece" critter they picked up. If a person is responsible enough to take care of the other fish in the tank why wouldnt they be responsible enough to take care of another fish that also helps with algae control? Couple hours of research online and maybe a thread or two on the forum should be plenty to be squared away on atleast the water parameters/food/temps required for a given snail/fish/shrimp.

Yes those that buy 3 or 4 oscars for a 20H or river loaches for a filterless bowl and think its going to work out probably arent going to do any better trying to take care of an OTO cat, then again they arent responsible enough in the first place to own critters regardless of why they bought them.

Now granted rarely do any one critter deal with all the problems anyone runs into, they however can help build the whole environment and contribute to a well rounded setup. Atleast thats the way I look at it. As long as they understand this then I dont see an issue with it.

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 PM
Algae Grower

Hi

Please dont take this as being rude.
Quote:
If a person is responsible enough to take care of the other fish in the tank why wouldnt they be responsible enough to take care of another fish that also helps with algae control?
In most cases a pest snail problem is caused by the fish keeper because they did not dip their plants to get rid of snails, There are also cases where people add snails to their tanks to deal with algae only to find the snails do not eat that algae and they create a bigger problem.

A well balanced tank that isnt over fed or over stocked and thats maintained properly wont have an algae issue, and anyway to fix an algae issue you need to fix the root cause of the problem first or the issue will return.

@ Aqua Aurora
Quote:
Just some people look for the 'quick fix'
Exactly, I had a problem with those mini rams horns, It took me weeks to get rid of most of them by manual removal, yes I picked them off the glass with my fingers every day when the lights came on, Now I could have caught up some Dwarf chain loaches from another tank and put them in the infested tank but that wasnt a solution or an option because Sids will hunt the shrimp instead, plus the water parameters in the shrimp tank are not really suitable.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
It's just advice, not necessarily bad advice.

As @Quint stated so well, we're all responsible for doing our homework to make sure the solutions we implement will work, and be good for all our livestock.

Probably the best thing to do when someone poses the question "what do I do about X?" is to not just say "do Y", but take the time to explain the whys, wherefores, and consequences of that suggestion. And remember that they're just that--suggestions.

Last edited by Desert Pupfish; 02-06-2020 at 12:03 AM. Reason: typo
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
i often wonder about the whole "clean up crew" concept.
Me too.

Years ago I had some BN plecos. Funny thing is that when I removed them, NO3 production via fish waste went WAY down, and tank did better than ever.

And for many years my only "cleaning crew" were my Clown Loaches. After I lost them in the disaster I never replaced them. Guess what, tank is still clean and NO3 production via fish load went down again.

A few months ago I added Ramshorn snails. I can't see any difference whatsoever in the tank, other than they look pretty cool crawling around.

I guess in the end the best clean up crew is..............ME! And good old fashioned elbow grease.

So in that respect, I agree with the point that adding livestock to fix a problem rarely really fixes anything. If you have problems, there are far more effective ways to confront them....but that also takes more thought and effort.

---
---
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Probably the best thing to do when someone poses the question "what do I do about X?" is to not just say "do Y", but take the time to explain the whys, wherefores, and consequences of that suggestion.
That sounds good.

For example.

If someone has pest snails in a shrimp tank assassin snails are not the answer as they hunt shrimp, Now that may OK if you have low grade cherry shrimp but it would not be OK if you have GOLDEN EYE BLUE TIGER SHRIMP worth $85 each.

https://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/go...r-shrimp-2-cm/
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Greggz lol coming from the guy with the immaculate high tech tank with an amazing planted scaping, I dont even think you have algae spores in your tanks water (just joshin ya, you do have some amazing tanks though).

Now my low tech eye sores needs all the help it can get. In all seriousness however in my case I eventually got the algaes under control (knocks on wood). Out of my two tanks the best setup is the 40B. The various shrimp are always eating leftover fish food, some algae, and everything else they eat. The cory cats I make sure have enough food but they clean everything up (sand, hard scapes, plants...), another big advantage of having them is they stir up any of the spots that stuff collects so it eventually makes it to my filter uptake. It really is amazing how well they do at that. The OTO cats I just like (just wish I could have gotten some various varieties) but they do the algae on all the softer plants but I feed them as well. The two nerites do there thing scouring the glass and hardscape and stronger plants (not really necessary but they do take on GSA which is my last forever battle).

All in all its a primary battle like you said with taking care of the parameters the best we can and cleaning as necessary. In the end I really like my cory cats and OTOs, the girls really like the shrimps and OTOs and cory cats, and the tank as a whole seems to do well with the various "cleaners" Ive got in there. IMHO having a well rounded stocking of critters in my tanks makes it seem a tad more natural considering the un-natural nature of these setups.
Greggz and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Me too.

Years ago I had some BN plecos. Funny thing is that when I removed them, NO3 production via fish waste went WAY down, and tank did better than ever.
You mean BM plecos right, LOL.

I swore off plecos after I saw what they did to my foreground a long time ago.

And your right, the best clean up crew is you. Vacuuming out waste is immediate, it's even more effective to rid the tank of ammonia than having it go to the filter where it's still part of the system until you clean it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode