Questions about adding shrimp to tank. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about adding shrimp to tank.

I'm still very new to the hobby. I have a 10 gallon tall. It is very heavily planted. My biggest worry is I have a Dwarf Mexican Lobster/maybe tangerine lobster. He was labeled as a Tangerine, but looks like a dwarf mexican. He seems even tempered, and doesn't mess with anything else though. I also have a mystery snail, a fire guppy, and a Panda Gara. I figured shrimp would be a nice addition to the smaller tank, and help keep it clean. My main worries are them tearing up the plants, and also about them over breeding and taking over. I've been thinking about getting a couple more guppies, or a few cardinal tetra. I figured they would help eat a lot of the fry, and keep things in check. I also figured I would start with 2 males, 2 females, and hopefully that would start the population lower. I've been looking at either cherry red, or blue shrimp. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by OneShoeBoxer; 01-28-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:31 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I would expect your lobster to eat the shrimp. They won't tear up plants 1/100th as much as a lobster, so if that isn't bothering your plants, Neo shrimp certainly won't. Most places don't sell adult sexed shrimp but you don't want to purchase adults anyway. A group of juveniles is generally recommended but I'm not sure with a crayfish/lobster of any type they will survive to maturity.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I would expect your lobster to eat the shrimp. They won't tear up plants 1/100th as much as a lobster, so if that isn't bothering your plants, Neo shrimp certainly won't. Most places don't sell adult sexed shrimp but you don't want to purchase adults anyway. A group of juveniles is generally recommended but I'm not sure with a crayfish/lobster of any type they will survive to maturity.
Fair enough. The pet shop didn't seem too worried about it. He is like a 1" lobster that gets 1.5 inches at most. I think they are actually classified as crayfish. I wouldn't even think of putting them in with a "real" lobster. I guess they either live, or I just bought my lobster a nice steak dinner, lol.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:59 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
As far as I'm aware, every freshwater "lobster" or "yabbie" is a trade name for a species of crayfish.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
As far as I'm aware, every freshwater "lobster" or "yabbie" is a trade name for a species of crayfish.
Oh, interesting. I didn't realize there was going to be so much to this hobby when I got started, haha. I thought I would just throw some fish in a tank. Now I'm planing things, and learning all sorts of science!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode