2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Rainer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
OEBT & Water Quality in a Planted Tank

I understand why water quality is critical in typical breeding tanks but how does that work in planted aquariums where the plants are actively filtering out any ammonia and nitrites?

How clean does the aquarium have to be? I don't plan to leave any food in the tank more than overnight, primarily for the slow snails' benefit, but is there any risk? Do I need to vacuum up all the mulm and plant detritus?

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you have the right bacteria in your tank (may need to dose it), and you don't overfeed, then there's really no reason to clean up mulm in tank. It will degrade/be cleaned up
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

How do we gauge overfeeding in a snail-heavy shrimp tank like this? I'm concerned the slow-moving nerites may be outcompeted for biofilm so I feed extra.

Is this a case where Bacter AE is warranted?

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd honestly recommend other bacteria products over Bacter AE... I mean, if you don't have it already. Have heard plenty of people who have issues with their tanks if they use it, mainly with shrimp dying. Some people are lucky and have no issues!

You could always set up a bucket or container as well with large rocks in it to grow algae/biofilm on. Have several rocks and you can always switch out the rocks when it gets too clean in the tank. Easy source of food.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Which others would you recommend?

I like the rock idea but floor space is limited now and will be worse as the new plants arrive. I still have room for large oak leaves, for example, deposited vertically between the largest rock and a wall. How long would you say is enough for a leaf to soak to develop sufficient biofilm and is light required?

Snail Glades,
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Light is not required but it helps. Leaves I would just add straight to the tank, honestly.

What about outside? Do you have any room outside to set up a spot to grow algae? Or even in a windowsill?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've noticed that the inverts swarm leaves which have been used for aging water while being rather sedate in addressing leaves that have been added to the tank while dry, but have no idea at a minimum time needed for buildup.

We have narrow windowsills and live in a heavily wooded area; I'll use the balcony or patio once the weather's warmed up enough.
Zoidburg likes this.

Snail Glades,
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:10 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I'd honestly recommend other bacteria products over Bacter AE... I mean, if you don't have it already. Have heard plenty of people who have issues with their tanks if they use it, mainly with shrimp dying. Some people are lucky and have no issues!

You could always set up a bucket or container as well with large rocks in it to grow algae/biofilm on. Have several rocks and you can always switch out the rocks when it gets too clean in the tank. Easy source of food.

i dont know ANY serious breeder that has any issue with bacter ae. Heck its recommended and is used by mainly almost all shrimp breeders.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyemc View Post
i dont know ANY serious breeder that has any issue with bacter ae. Heck its recommended and is used by mainly almost all shrimp breeders.

And I know many serious breeders, those who even import shrimp products and shrimp from Taiwan who do not recommend Bacter AE!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode