Questions for Nerite Keepers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Questions for Nerite Keepers

1. I'm trying to fine tune feedings for the snails and shrimp in the tank in my sig. Generally, I feed a small leaf of boiled romaine, which is quickly attacked and then demolished in a day or two, then left to forage another day or two. Occasionally I crumble a square of OmNomNom pure veggie invert food and spread it throughout the tank to ensure as many inverts have access as possible. Then I feed again two days later. The tank is planted so I'm not very concerned about leaving the romaine in there for a day or two.

Given that I still have a pest snail issue, it seems I'm overfeeding but not massively so. I do this because I'm concerned about the slow-moving nerites losing out to the shrimp and the mystery snail and starving. I've had one death recently, a black racer nerite who'd been in the tank for a couple months or more. I've had a few other losses, all among new arrivals.

Should I add Bacter AE instead as a way to get more food directly to the less-active ones?

Parameters: dGH 6, dKH 5, TDS 195, approximately 16 nerites of various species, ~20 adult shrimp, numerous shrimplets.

2. Occasionally one will just drop off the top of the wall onto the sand, then lie there as if dead for days if given the chance. I've put them into an isolation container and all have eventually revived, aside from the one listed above and the lost new arrivals. Is this normal behavior?

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nerites can't turn themselves over as other snails do so if left on their shell too long they will die. When you see them upside down, turn them upright. I lost one this way who just could not stay on the glass for more than a day or two. I turned him over each time I found him until I didn't find him for several days - he was dead by then. I have about 5 nerites and have only had this problem with this one.

I don't specifically feed the others I have, but mine are each in tanks with fish - just one per tank - and only 2 of the tanks have shrimp. I assume they're getting their fill from left over fish foods. So not sure how to solve your issue if you think they are starving other than to make sure there is enough food for all inhabitants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode