Translucent White Snail? - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Translucent White Snail?

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked already but I don't know what keywords to use to find it. Haven't had any luck.

I have recently been getting more and more small white specs appearing on the tank glass and they seem to grow into a circular translucent white being with a harder black spot in the middle. I can't tell what it is or how they appeared. There's a white one in the very center of the photo. I've mostly only seem them on the glass. Can anyone identify or know how to get rid of it? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200125_194747.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	892405  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Could be a mini-ramshorn, a nuisance snail. Do you have wanted snails or other inverts in the tank? If not, there are chemical treatments available as well as the option of siccing assassin snails on them.

If you are keeping inverts, your best bet seems to be squishing them or using a pipette to vacuum them out. In my tank, it's a never-ending battle.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Some folks hate snails a lot... But honestly, they are highly beneficial to your aquarium since they eat algae and things that cause algae. They are typically not a one stop solution to all algae but they are part of that solution. Anyway there is no harm in leaving them alone. Only bother getting rid of them if they really bother you aesthetically.

Also.. ramshorn snails tend to be translucent when newborn and very small. They will grow to be the size of a quarter and typically have a color to them. I have blue ones in my tank (put there on purpose) but there are other colors out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:02 AM
Algae Grower

Can somebody distract minorhero while I steal a few blue rams-horns, please?
evil8 and A Small Brain like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lol

I bought them off of e Bay for 15 dollars for 5+2. I think I ordered 2 of those giving me 14 back in early fall. I don't know how many I have now... Counting only ones half a centimeters and bigger probably at least 3 or 4 dozen spread out over 2 tanks.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Can somebody distract minorhero while I steal a few blue rams-horns, please?
Ha, just leave the nerites and the comic-relief mystery snail alone and you can have every last one of mine. They're the animal version of duckweed.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

I have a secret way of controlling snails, I keep Sids ( Dwarf Chain Loaches ), 10 Sids can put a serious dent in a snail population in no time.

PS

I would love a few of these

Last edited by HairyNoseWombat; 01-27-2020 at 03:27 AM. Reason: PS
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 06:44 AM
Algae Grower

The top pic seems to be a freshwater limpet and NOT a snail at all.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replies! I Googled images of freshwater limpet and it does look pretty similar to those. Is there a way to safely remove them? I currently have cardinal tetras, siamese algae eaters, cherry shrimp, and amano shrimps in the tank. Not too fond of assassin snails. They tore up the landscape and ate two of my golden rabbit snails in another tank while trying to get rid of an MTS infestation.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Lol

I bought them off of e Bay for 15 dollars for 5+2. I think I ordered 2 of those giving me 14 back in early fall. I don't know how many I have now... Counting only ones half a centimeters and bigger probably at least 3 or 4 dozen spread out over 2 tanks.
Temping us in the middle of winter with your online snail buying..so cruel (too cold here for shipping atm).

I use to have a lot of ramshorns-would throw blues, pinks, browns, even some lovely leopards (spotted blues or spotted browns). Prefer them over pond/bladder snails just for appearance, of course the 'uglier' guys breed more prolifically.
evil8 and HairyNoseWombat like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC415 View Post
Thanks for all of your replies! I Googled images of freshwater limpet and it does look pretty similar to those. Is there a way to safely remove them? I currently have cardinal tetras, siamese algae eaters, cherry shrimp, and amano shrimps in the tank. Not too fond of assassin snails. They tore up the landscape and ate two of my golden rabbit snails in another tank while trying to get rid of an MTS infestation.

Unfortunately I never had limpets, but a good friend did. I’ll ask him how he got rid of them.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

Ok I am going to tell you all a secret way of getting rid of Malaysian Trumpet snails, and its shrimp safe.

Genchem No Planaria, 1 large spoon ( supplied in the packet ) per 50 liters of water, this stuff will also kill Mystery, Nerite and Rams horn snails so you have to remove those.

How to.

Add 1 spoon per 50 liters of water of No planaria to a small bottle of water and shake well then add to tank after a water change do not change water for 7 days. After treatment do not add snails to tank for about a 4 water changes.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@HariyNoseWombat why would you do such a thing ..... what do the MTS cause issues with that the other snails wont also do?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC415 View Post
Not too fond of assassin snails. They tore up the landscape and ate two of my golden rabbit snails in another tank while trying to get rid of an MTS infestation.
Wow. Tore up your landscape in what way? I bought 3 assassins to control an MTS explosion, and now they're multiplying. But they never bother anything--except the MTS of course. Only down side is empty MTS shells littering the substrate that I have to gravel vac out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Ok I am going to tell you all a secret way of getting rid of Malaysian Trumpet snails, and its shrimp safe.

Genchem No Planaria, 1 large spoon ( supplied in the packet ) per 50 liters of water, this stuff will also kill Mystery, Nerite and Rams horn snails so you have to remove those.

How to.

Add 1 spoon per 50 liters of water of No planaria to a small bottle of water and shake well then add to tank after a water change do not change water for 7 days. After treatment do not add snails to tank for about a 4 water changes.
Thanks for sharing this. But what happens when all those dead snails start rotting in your tank? Seems it could foul the tank pretty quickly, no?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:43 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
@HariyNoseWombat why would you do such a thing ..... what do the MTS cause issues with that the other snails wont also do?

I do not want to do it, I love Malaysian Trumpet Snails, however there are people out there that do not feel the same way about snails and they also keep shrimp but want to be rid of the snails.

This is a safer option than copper based treatments.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode