• 2 Post By Quint
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Real or fake amano shrimp?

Hi folks,

I just went and bought an amano shrimp at Petco last night. I'm looking at him / her and although the shape looks right, it doesn't have any telltale markings of an amano shrimp (either black dashes along the sides or dots along the sides - even Petco's site has the right pics). This shrimp looks blank on either side. I'd say maybe he's a baby but he's pretty big. About 1/3rd bigger than my adult red cherry shrimp. If you folks could help me determine whether or not he's a real amano shrimp I'd appreciate it. Pictures are on the link below.

If he's not an amano, I'd be open to guesses. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pf...qZ0zcPd-p-hP3P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's more like we don't know either! LOL

I'm personally leaning towards an "Australian Amano" myself, aka Caridina typus sp.

You can look at some past threads for more about them.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...no-shrimp.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...imp-these.html
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thatís a no.
Can be hard to find the Amano shrimp that is real.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

I bought several from Petco that look like that. One of them turned into this one that rules the tank. Pushes Amanos, RCS and other shrimp out of the way.

Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Zoidberg!

That second thread with the shrimp looks a lot like mine. Everyone has a different opinion. Fat glass shrimp. Baby amano. Caridina sp. that are *NOT* amanos.

Freaking Petco. I'm going to keep him anyway because frankly, bringing him back is returning him to a death camp. They had a variety of neos in a tiny box (the ones they stage the shrimp/fish in before dumping into a bag). There were 10 in there. Four were dead and nobody even pulled the bodies out after I pointed it out to the aquatic person there. Another tank had ghosts eating a pile of dead nerite snails. The amanos were in that tank clinging to a sponge filter. Not too many of them and I took the biggest one I could find in the bunch. Dude looked scared out his mind with his tank mates. Didn't leave the sponge up above and witness the carnage below with the ghosts. He's seems very active now in my tank and beginning to realize his days of suffering are over.

BTW - thanks man for quickly answering my questions throughout the years on here. You always get me going in the right direction. Me and my aquatic friends thank you.

Thanks folks for your responses! Asteroid, that brown shrimp you have looks like a beast! :P
gnovince and Zoidburg like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-27-2020 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yours should darken up some and get more defined patterns if you will in a few days once it settles in. All of mine were that same color when I brought them home and within a week or so ecspecially after the first molt they looked similar to Asteroids shrimp. The racing stripe I have on a couple of them and others its broken up into a repeating arrow head pattern of sorts. They get big also compared to RCS or similar. I have a couple that are a good 2" long. They dont bug anything else in the tanks except to knock things out of the way to steal food.
Zoidburg and evil8 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquirrel View Post
... Asteroid, that brown shrimp you have looks like a beast! :P
Definitely is, funny to watch when i drop in a wafer and 10 or so RCS are sharing it, then "the beast" comes out from wherever she's hiding, grabs the wafer and disappears.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I bought several from Petco that look like that. One of them turned into this one that rules the tank. Pushes Amanos, RCS and other shrimp out of the way.

Thats a Bamboo, not amano
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatroy50 View Post
No fans and smaller than a bamboo... "amano" sized, but "beefier"
Blue Ridge Reef and Asteroid like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Does kinda look like a Bamboo from the top, but as @Zoidburg pointed out no fans.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
They do have very similar coloring especially right after molting. Here are a few pictures of some of mine that I have posted before.

This one is next to a wild type neo

Zoidburg and Asteroid like this.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

yeah that is some weird coloration! Mine are just gray with the dark dashes but other than that looks the same
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquapadawan View Post
yeah that is some weird coloration! Mine are just gray with the dark dashes but other than that looks the same

Here's one photo I've taken that is a good comparison of a false amano (C. typus???) with actual amanos (C. multidentata)

Asteroid likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:29 PM

I picked up three shrimp at Petco that were labeled as Amanos. Two of them looked like your pictures and I think they are Australian Amanos. They looked like this at first:

[IMG][/IMG]

They eventually got a lot darker and looked like this:

I think the third one was a short nosed shrimp:

The short nosed shrimp was a much better algae eater than the Australian Amanos. Unfortunately, it disappeared without a trace a few weeks after I got it. It was in a tank with a betta and every time the fish got near it, it shot across the tank like it was spring loaded. A few times it shot up and got stuck on the glass above the water. After it disappeared I had to replace it with a real Amano from a better fish store because the Australian Amanos were pretty lazy when it came to eating algae. The real Amano cleaned things up pretty quickly and all have been doing well for about 4 months now.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 05:11 AM

Sounds like my experience with the Petco amanos. They look like amanos but no markings. They’ve been decent with algae clean up but they also seem to be eating the manzanita driftwood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8988AF80-AE39-4049-805F-772EA720F962_1580533777870.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	892723  

Name:	F27A121E-7207-4913-A25E-C449B0C73557_1580533801856.jpg
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	892725  

Name:	F99B69E0-6849-40DA-B3D0-6E15A2B4C416_1580533835763.jpg
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	892727  

Tags
real fake amano shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode