Cherry Shrimp Help - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Cherry Shrimp Help

What can I treat shrimp with? Has white fungus on underside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200122_002809_1579672288573.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	892169  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi

I cant see fungus but I can see that female is berried up ( eggs )

Can you tell us about your tank?
Size?
Water temp?
What water conditioner do you use?
How often do you change water?
How much?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
[QUOTE=HairyNoseWombat;11299487]Hi

I cant see fungus but I can see that female is berried up ( eggs )

Can you tell us about your tank?
Size?
Water temp?
What water conditioner do you use?
How often do you change water?

10g with distilled water remineralized with Seachem equilibrium
2 sponge filters
68-70F, pH 7.2
Prime
10-15% every 2 weeks
5-6 huge handfuls of java moss, cholla wood, lava rock, and indian almond leaves
12 ramshorn snails too

I had about 20 adults and 50 babies 3 weeks ago. Moss is thick so I figured some shrimp were hiding and didn't see any deaths. Last night saw dead female with fuzz and then saw this berried female with fuzz, but alive

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 02:53 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Picture is tough to tell but if it's greenish in color, Google "shrimp ellobiopsidae treatment." I don't see green, so assuming it's clear to white in color it's probably mycosis. JBL's Fungol is said to work, though not invertebrate safe so never overdose this product. Pimafix has been recommended online, but I've never heard a first hand account of it working so I'd avoid that as anything but a prophylactic to avoid fungus spreading. Good husbandry and clean water and substrate will go a long way to getting their immune systems to where they can fight it off internally.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:00 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Do you have the ability to isolate the impacted shrimp for potential treatment or observation?

Additionally, it'd be a good idea to start doing weekly water changes. More frequently that that, honestly, until things return to normal.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

Hi
Why are the water changes so small? Why are people so afraid of clean water?

From now on I think you need 30% water changes once a week, this theory perpetuated by some cherry shrimp keepers that too many water changes are bad is rubbish.

Quote:

10g with distilled water remineralized with Seachem equilibrium
Whats wrong with your tap water? Again this myth perpetuated by fish keepers that RCS need RO water is utter nonsense.

Nitrates need to be kept under 20, Above 20ppm RCS are susceptible to disease and infertility.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 08:37 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Hi

From now on I think you need 30% water changes once a week, this theory perpetuated by some cherry shrimp keepers that too many water changes are bad is rubbish.

Whats wrong with your tap water? Again this myth perpetuated by fish keepers that RCS need RO water is utter nonsense.
I like that you're contradicting the learned experience of many hundreds of shrimp keepers.

Water changes are kept small to keep from shocking or otherwise stressing shrimp. I've already seen that large water changes cause white ring of death, regardless of matching or correct parameters.

Tap water varies from region to region, town to town, even from well to well--you're making a blanket statement about tap water being safe that is patently untrue. Yes, for many, tap water is fine, but for many others it is NOT. Do not give this kind of flat advice without consideration to the variables OP will encounter.
Zoidburg and mgeorges like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Hi

Nitrates need to be kept under 20, Above 20ppm RCS are susceptible to disease and infertility.

Not all shrimp tanks require 30% water changes weekly. Some can use 10%, others 50%. It depends on bio-load of tank involved.

In addition, not all tap water is created the same, nor do all of us keep the same shrimp. What a neo can handle as far as water is much different than what a bee shrimp can take. So, while it is true that some may be able to use their tap for the shrimp they keep after studying their water report- just as many cannot get away with using tap-water.

Im all in on debunking myths, but we have to be careful that our response to them doesn't appear just as mythic.

Amy
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Most of my shrimp tanks are totally fine with 5-10% weekly changes. But some of them get 50%+ per week. The trick is to match parameters and add the new water to the tank fairly slowly.

When parameters are far off from the existing tank water? That's when you run into trouble. But if you match, it's simple enough to just add water back in slowly.

And most people who use RO water do so because their tap parameters are hot garbage. I've been in that boat a few times through the years. Now it's just easier because all of my tanks start with RO.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:34 PM
Planted Member

I was asking the OP whats wrong with their tap water because in most cases tap water is just fine for cherry shrimp.

I also believe in the KISS theory, Keep it simple silly, why over complicate matters if there is no need.

I have well over 200 Red Cherry shrimp in a 2 foot 20 gallon planted, they get 50% water change once a week and they still breed faster than pest snails.

Quote:
When parameters are far off from the existing tank water? That's when you run into trouble. But if you match, it's simple enough to just add water back in slowly.
Never had that problem even when I have changed 90% of the water, all I do is add 4 drops of prime per gallon of new water ( Chloramines) and let it sit over night in the same room as the tank, In winter I use a heater to pre heat the new water.

The shrimp in this tank also breed faster than 8 bumblebee gobys can eat, and I add 1 teaspoon of salt per 2 gallons of water to this tank

Just for comparison my BBG's are almost as big as a Betta now.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:16 AM
Planted Member

Ps

Please dont think Im being disrespectful to anybody I just have different opinions.

I understand that some shrimp need special treatment and water parameters but Cherry shrimp are not in that category, They are more forgiving and do quite well in most tap water, Thats why they are such a great shrimp for novices.

I am already thinking about tearing down a 2 foot medium light tank and going very low tech again because I just hate adding chemicals like fertilizer to my water.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don’t have an opinion, but always be aware that specific advice may be perceived as generic advice in a forum.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:35 AM
Planted Member

Here's what I mean by simple, this is my 6 foot 100 gallon tank.

It gets a 75% water change every week using tap water and Seachem Prime, and that's it no liquid ferts no root tabs. The light is a single 4 foot Beamworks high lumen LED.

The PH is 7.8 no idea about the rest,
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The pic is kinda blurry, what plant is that H.Poly?
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Planted Member

Blue Stricta.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode