4Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Darkness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are any liquid plant gets bad for shrimp? Mainly curious about Flourish Excel. I have a 20L I'm growing some plants in and decided to venture into small shrimp. I've been using excel and regular flourish but stopped using them this week to add a few shrimp.

I picked up 3 light orange looking cherry shrimp variants and one that's red with a white center. I'd like to get more if I can keep these alive. Also have a few black neon tetra and a small bristle nose in the tank. I was concerned about the bristlenose at first, he watches them but but he doesn't show any interest in the shrimp as food. Also have some unknown snails in there, I though common pond snails but now that they're growing maybe something else.

Any other tips are welcome.

Sorry the pics went sideways.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_175939_1579537233672.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	892093

Name:	20200118_190228_1579537253958.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	892095
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:29 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
A lot of good questions and answers on general keeping can be found here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...questions.html

As for Excel, it kills film algae and biofilm, which are the bulk of shrimp's diet so I don't let that product touch a shrimp tank. Your snail looks like a ramshorn to me.
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
As for Excel, it kills film algae and biofilm, which are the bulk of shrimp's diet so I don't let that product touch a shrimp tank. Your snail looks like a ramshorn to me.
Agreed, the use of excel is the opposite of what you want to promote in a shrimp tank.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How about the regular flourish? One weekly dose on water change is what I've been doing. Is that harmful to shrimp?

The excel I'll keep out, that was to keep algae under control until I could add shrimp. Makes perfect sense not to use now. I have a bit of hair algae that I've been pulling out for a while.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Regular Seachem Flourish should be fine.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips so far. I was yanking the hair algae out of my plants, since the shrimp don't seem to eat that variety, and I noticed some funny behavior. The bigger shrimp looked like it was struggling to swim but going nowhere. A closer look revealed it's a female with a good clutch of eggs! I hadn't expected that, quite a treat!

Meanwhile I saw one of my snails seemingly in pursuit of another. These are the two largest and seemingly most active. Eventually their low speed pursuit ended and they met on a rock, unless this is some sort of symbiotic shell cleaning ritual, I think they might be mating. Shamelessly in front of my pregnant shrimp!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200128-204138_Gallery_1580272924616.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	892557  

Zoidburg likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I've used Seachem products in my husband's 12g tank for years (many years with cherry shrimp) including flourish, excel, iron, potassium, and phosphorus. Never had an issue. I did feed shrimp food or blanches spinach once in a while and had a massive population.
Reset and doing yellow neos in there now, currently no excel but I have used flourish and iron without issue. My hair algae is so out of control excel wouldn't help at this point..I won't use the hydrogen peroxide method treatment with shrimp in. So I just manually remove and hack back algae filled moss with water changes.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:55 PM
Planted Member

I've overdosed excel 3x on a massive scale to kill some Cladophilia algae and all the shrimp survived (crystals). I had fish die but not shrimp. I think I doses 1ml per gallon. So 55 ml into my 55 gallon tank. I would not recommend it but besides destroying their food source, it seems to be well tolerated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good info, thanks. I have some updates and a question.

Update 1) I've noticed a few molts in the tank and think I know which shrimps have molted, three of my shrimp seem bigger and much brighter than before. I take that as a good sign.

Update 2) last week one shrimp was carrying eggs, yesterday I confirmed that a second one is also carrying eggs. I think it's considered an orange rili, its orange but with a clear center. Crossing color types might be frowned upon but I'm keeping any offspring for myself, these won't make it to any shops or anything.

Update 3) I added a few more plants, interestingly all 4 of my orange shrimp are drawn to one particular plant, it's a ludwigia. They seem to feel sheltered there but I'm a little concerned as they've lost their lust to explore the rest of the tank. They just chill out looking content to hide in the ludwigia. Is that normal? Making it more interesting, my 2 newer red shrimp have no interest in the ludwigia at all.

Update 4) I have snail eggs. Ehh lol

A pic of the new cool hangout spot and the newly pregnant shrimp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200204_182024_1580869279030.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	892909  

Name:	20200204_182039_1580869294949.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	892911  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode