Suggestions for shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Suggestions for shrimp tank

I realize this is opening the flood gates.

I am thinking I would like to start a shrimp tank. I have quite a lot of experience with fish, somewhat less with heavily planted tanks, and this seems like something new and potentially rewarding. So some questions for the experienced shrimpers (?) here:

Is 10 gallons a reasonable size for a shrimp tank that also will be heavily planted and have a small number of very peaceful fish? (I'm thinking typical nano species like ember tetras.)

Would like to keep crystal red shrimp. Is that a good choice of first species?

Black sand substrate?

Recommendations for plant species?

I lean towards high tech. Is a tank that size worth CO2 injection?

My water (once aerated) is pH 8.2, dGH 5.5, dKH 5.5. What adjustments might I want to make?

I know; I'm going to get floods of advice in all directions. I can winnow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:10 AM
Algae Grower

Cherry shrimp are a great for someone new to shrimp they are more forgiving. Black substrate is perfect also because it makes the shrimp redder, just keep the nitrates under 20.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would not go with crystals with your water and as a first go at shrimp. Instead I would go with a color variation of neocaridina. Lots of color variations available including stripy kinds called "rili".

Certainly a 10 gallon is fine and yes you can add co2 if you want though most don't bother with a 10 gallon but some do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I have no problem with tweaking my water for a 10 gallon tank. Too hard?

Last edited by kgbudge; 01-20-2020 at 03:49 AM. Reason: premature post
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:33 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Your tap water is beyond a matter of tweaking. You'll need to use RO water for Caridina with the parameters you currently have. I'd pick your favorite color of Neo and go that direction if you want to use your tap water.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Is this table wrong?

https://aquariumbreeder.com/water-pa...n-shrimp-tank/

It sounds like my water is about right for many shrimp, or even slightly soft for many varieties.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbudge View Post
Is this table wrong?

It sounds like my water is about right for many shrimp, or even slightly soft for many varieties.
Your PH is too high and your KH is too high.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@somewhatshocked can help you with this question.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

pH and dKH can be easily tweaked, by the same means (hydrochloric acid.) I used to do this for my discus.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM
Algae Grower

Hi

Well if you used this method for Discus then you know what you are doing
Discusluv likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairynosewombat View Post
hi

well if you used this method for discus then you know what you are doing
++1
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:26 PM
snails are your friend

Quote:
Is this table wrong?

Made my reply hastily, I'll elaborate a little further in the original questions below in bold. The GH page you have linked is not wrong. Your GH is fine, it's the carbonate hardness that is higher than Caridina do well in. Their KH page shows the optimal KH values for a CRS aquarium: https://aquariumbreeder.com/water-pa...n-shrimp-tank/ A TDS meter is also handy to have for these.
Quote:
I realize this is opening the flood gates.

I am thinking I would like to start a shrimp tank. I have quite a lot of experience with fish, somewhat less with heavily planted tanks, and this seems like something new and potentially rewarding. So some questions for the experienced shrimpers (?) here:

Is 10 gallons a reasonable size for a shrimp tank that also will be heavily planted and have a small number of very peaceful fish? (I'm thinking typical nano species like ember tetras.)
A 10 gallon tank is perfect.
Would like to keep crystal red shrimp. Is that a good choice of first species?
I'd almost always answer no to this. It's kind of the equivalent of starting off with discus as a first fish species but seeing as you have experience with discus, I'm assuming you have aquarium husbandry down. CRS do best in a KH of 1 or under. I have very soft tap (KH <2) and mine only breed in tanks using buffering soils. When I kept them on inert, they lived but I never got babies. When I switched over to remineralized RO and buffering soils like ADA I started getting berries and babies pretty much right away. This experience has been echoed a lot and I can only think that it's the low KH and consistency of parameters that makes the difference.
Black sand substrate?
No experience keeping CRS on sand, but it can be done. I'd expect better survival rates and breeding on buffering soils, from my own time keeping these on inert substrates.
Recommendations for plant species?
Really anything that will grow in sand and not require too much fertilization.
I lean towards high tech. Is a tank that size worth CO2 injection?
There's no benefit for the shrimp, but plants will undoubtedly do better. There are lots of CO2 kits for smaller tanks than 10 gallon, you can definitely find something that will fit your needs.
My water (once aerated) is pH 8.2, dGH 5.5, dKH 5.5. What adjustments might I want to make?
Ideally for CRS, you'll want KH 1 or lower, GH around where yours is, and TDS in the 150 range. I don't concern myself with pH too much in shrimp tanks, for most bees (like CRS) it will be acidic though.
I know; I'm going to get floods of advice in all directions. I can winnow.
As for using HCL, if you feel sure you can do that consistently by all means try. Just know that these are not creatures that suffer parameter changes well. If you went with any of the Neocaridina davidii shrimp (any of the cherries and colors they come in), you should be able to adapt them right to your tap.
Zoidburg, Discusluv and minorhero like this.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Made my reply hastily, I'll elaborate a little further in the original questions below in bold. The GH page you have linked is not wrong. Your GH is fine, it's the carbonate hardness that is higher than Caridina do well in. Their KH page shows the optimal KH values for a CRS aquarium: https://aquariumbreeder.com/water-pa...n-shrimp-tank/ A TDS meter is also handy to have for these.

As for using HCL, if you feel sure you can do that consistently by all means try. Just know that these are not creatures that suffer parameter changes well. If you went with any of the Neocaridina davidii shrimp (any of the cherries and colors they come in), you should be able to adapt them right to your tap.
I think what I'm leaning towards now is cherry shrimp (I actually had these confused with crystal red; glad to have been unconfused) and perhaps some amano shrimp. It sounds like cherry shrimp should do well in my water, especially if I take the edge off the carbonate hardness as I'm planning to start doing with my main display tank. (I'm shooting for taking dKH from 5.5 to about 3.5, then slowly drop to 2.5 and see if the buffering is sufficient.)
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 AM
snails are your friend

Ah, I think that would be a better choice and far less likely to die on you. Caridina vs Neocaridina is about the difference between discus and zebra danios to put it in fish terms of being demanding. If you acclimated them slowly and got USA stock that wasn't raised in really soft water, they would likely adapt right to your tap water. Either way, avoid buying imported shrimp and get your hands on something home bred in the US. They're usually a bit more expensive but survival rate is so much higher that they turn out being much cheaper in most cases.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes, I really was thinking cherry red. I'm not quite sure where my brain dredged up crystal red.

Do you have a favorite place to purchase from? It's possible I can find some at a LFS, where "local" means "two hours away in Albuquerque," but I'm guessing not. I live in northern New Mexico, though the way FedEx does things, it hardly matters where they're coming from; it's that last leg from Albuquerque to my home via Santa Fe that is squirrelly. I'm thinking I'll have the tank cycled and ready to go around mid-May so it's a toss up whether the weather will be too hot or too cold. Meaning it's probably as good a time of year for mail order as any.

My thinking on combining amano and cherries is that they are different genera and so will not cross-breed. Ghost shrimp are yet another genera and are often available locally but I don't get the sense they're seen as serious aquarium shrimp; I don't care whether they're fashionable so much as whether they're actually good aquarium shrimp.

The only really tiny fish locally available are Ender's livebearers and, of course, otos. I like the look of ember tetras and blue eyed rainbowfish but would have to mail order those as well. Do you have other suggestions? Are a couple of otos needed for algae control in a shrimp tank or do the shrimp do a good enough job themselves? Are snails in a shrimp tank a good idea?

No doubt I'll come up with more questions as I continue thinking this through.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode