Nerite Shell Calcium: SaltyShrimp vs. Vaca Feeders? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Teebo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,526
Lightbulb Nerite Shell Calcium: SaltyShrimp vs. Vaca Feeders?

Obviously lack of calcium is a major problem with Nerite snail shells, and I am not sure if KH and calcium are the same thing when it comes to diet vs water column. I was poking around the LFS and asked the associate what those tabs are they feed their snails with because I can not seem to get mine to eat anything other than naturally occurring tank algae. They said they are just vacation feeders and directed me toward their tiny version sold as betta feeders. The first ingredient on the list is calcium sulfate....so now I am wondering if having calcium in their diet would be more beneficial to their shell than just raising my KH, and if I was to feed these in moderation will they raise my KH as well? I don't really want my betta eating this crap though which is my concern polluting my tank as well. I was considering crushing it down and making snail jello with it to prevent my Betta from gorging on this stuff. Thoughts?




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Teebo; 01-20-2020 at 02:23 AM. Reason: .
Teebo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,175
You could raise your GH instead of your KH? Since GH is made up of calcium and magnesium anyway...

And there's always the option of feeding calcium rich vegetables?


Sorry though, don't really know about the vacation feeders.... You could always get a 5 gallon bucket and leave one in the bucket, with water, over several days to see what happens, being sure to measure parameters before, during and after of having one in there? Or try making the snello for the snails.
Teebo and HairyNoseWombat like this.
Zoidburg is online now  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 AM
Planted Member
 
HairyNoseWombat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 187
Hi

Vacation feeders have no business in a fish tank, they just ruin the water parameters, I have never kept Nerites but love mystery snails and they are also prone to shell erosion in soft water.

There are people that claim that a calcium rich diet can slow the process down they feed things like, snello tums, calcium rich vegetables, cuttle bone etc but all this just slows the process down and the snail is expending energy on repairing the shell instead of normal snail things like growing, the only true solution is to make the water not so acidic.
HairyNoseWombat is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Teebo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
You could raise your GH instead of your KH? Since GH is made up of calcium and magnesium anyway...

And there's always the option of feeding calcium rich vegetables?


Sorry though, don't really know about the vacation feeders.... You could always get a 5 gallon bucket and leave one in the bucket, with water, over several days to see what happens, being sure to measure parameters before, during and after of having one in there? Or try making the snello for the snails.
If I raise my GH to hit my KH target then my GH gets way too high. I have never been able to get my Nerites to eat any vegetables trust me I have tried, raw, cooked, blanched, jello, etc. they just make a mess and don't get consumed.

I will give it a shot in a bucket good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Hi

Vacation feeders have no business in a fish tank, they just ruin the water parameters, I have never kept Nerites but love mystery snails and they are also prone to shell erosion in soft water.

There are people that claim that a calcium rich diet can slow the process down they feed things like, snello tums, calcium rich vegetables, cuttle bone etc but all this just slows the process down and the snail is expending energy on repairing the shell instead of normal snail things like growing, the only true solution is to make the water not so acidic.
Yeah, I agree but I figured if they were used on occasion in small quantities they would work for what I need them for as a supplement. I am not sure how much "less acidic" I can possibly make it. 7-7.5pH is about as good as it gets unless you want to start a planted reef tank lol.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Teebo is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:06 AM
Planted Member
 
HairyNoseWombat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 187
Quote:
I can possibly make it. 7-7.5pH is about as good as it gets unless you want to start a planted reef tank lol.
Actually you are not that far off the mark
Now I know some will disagree however 7.5 is a bit low for Nerites these guys prefer a ph of 8 to 8.4, KH: 8-12 dKH, Calcium: 350-450 ppm, Magnesium: 1250-1350 ppm.
HairyNoseWombat is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,175
I was recommending raising GH alone, not with KH.

If you want to raise KH with calcium, you would be raising GH as well...

What are your desired parameters vs parameters in tank?
Zoidburg is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome