LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Cherry shrimp vs rili shrimp - Unfertilized eggs

Hi there.

I want some shrimps in my aquariums, but my main reasons for buying them is :

1. Algae on plants
2. Eating/taking care of unfertilized eggs (leaving fertilized eggs alone)

I've heard that Cherry Shrimp was perfect for this, as they wouldent touch fertilized eggs?. Is this the same case for rili shrimp?
Im breeding goldfish and i'd love to have some shrimpies taking care of business (unfertilized eggs), just need to be sure they won't eat the good eggs aswell.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Rili shrimp are a color of cherry shrimp. No different than say, a black labrador vs a yellow or chocolate labrador.

Goldfish however would eat shrimp.

I have heard that shrimp will eat eggs of fish, but I haven't bred any egg layers so can't say from experience. Can say that amanos may be better at taking care of algae than cherry shrimp.... but it's always a good idea to try and figure out why you are getting algae and correct the issue rather than trying to fix the symptom of the problem.
Blue Ridge Reef and andreeb like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Rili shrimp are a color of cherry shrimp. No different than say, a black labrador vs a yellow or chocolate labrador.

Goldfish however would eat shrimp.

I have heard that shrimp will eat eggs of fish, but I haven't bred any egg layers so can't say from experience. Can say that amanos may be better at taking care of algae than cherry shrimp.... but it's always a good idea to try and figure out why you are getting algae and correct the issue rather than trying to fix the symptom of the problem.
The goldfish wont be in the same tank, every batch of eggs are transfered to a seperate tank where i'd like to keep these shrimps. (main goal eat unfertilized eggs)
I know the cause of the algae, too much lighting, this has been fixed but the algae is still present so would be nice to have something to fix this aswell (different tank).

So basicly what your saying is that Rili shrimp is the same as cherry, they are in effect the same species and perform the same tasks?

Thanks alot for the reply Zoidburg!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's what I thought!

I don't know that shrimp can tell the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs though.

Yes, rili is just a cherry of another color. They come in many colors, from various blues, yellows, oranges, yellows, greens to black, brown, dark red, ruby red, clear white (sort of... different but similar species?), etc. Not purple or pink though!
andreeb likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
That's what I thought!

I don't know that shrimp can tell the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs though.

Yes, rili is just a cherry of another color. They come in many colors, from various blues, yellows, oranges, yellows, greens to black, brown, dark red, ruby red, clear white (sort of... different but similar species?), etc. Not purple or pink though!

Tbh it's news to me aswell, this is a quote from a goldfish breeding website:

"You can add shrimp to the tank (cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp or others).

They know how to pick out the bad eggs and eat them Ė but they donít mess with the good ones."
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My only thought is that maybe the bad eggs (fertilized or otherwise) are literally going bad where-as the good eggs remain fresh. Therefore, the shrimp are more drawn to those eggs that are going bad.

Otherwise, not the slightest idea!
andreeb likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The bad eggs will developed fungus and stuff very quickly. This is probably what the shrimps are after. Essentially the eggs are dead if unfertilized and we all know how shrimps like dead stuff.

Only eggs I can see in my tank are cory eggs and the shrimps dont touch them. They are all usually fertilized though.
andreeb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've heard the same about the shrimp and the eggs. I've used them to do this with cory eggs that I scrape and place in a net breeder. I honestly can't say if they actually did anything as it was far from a scientific study. I use the shrimp tank as my cory fry grow out tank, a week after they hatch I dump the whole box into the shrimp tank. I have never counted a before/after so I don't know if the shrimp had any effect or not.
andreeb likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
My only thought is that maybe the bad eggs (fertilized or otherwise) are literally going bad where-as the good eggs remain fresh. Therefore, the shrimp are more drawn to those eggs that are going bad.

Yup, that's my thought aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
The bad eggs will developed fungus and stuff very quickly. This is probably what the shrimps are after. Essentially the eggs are dead if unfertilized and we all know how shrimps like dead stuff.
Only eggs I can see in my tank are cory eggs and the shrimps dont touch them. They are all usually fertilized though.
My goldfish lay so many eggs that some are destined to not be fertilized, I think this batch gave me about 1200+ eggs (impossible to count but), approx 30% didn't get fertilized and have developed fungus as you say, which happens about 24/48hrs after they have been layed. Problem is that this fungus can easily spread to the healthy eggs, thats why I figured adding these rili shrimp to the mix could be a nice solution. I know some add chemicals etc to the water to prevent it, but again, you may experience birth defects etc so i'd rather not go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I've heard the same about the shrimp and the eggs. I've used them to do this with cory eggs that I scrape and place in a net breeder. I honestly can't say if they actually did anything as it was far from a scientific study. I use the shrimp tank as my cory fry grow out tank, a week after they hatch I dump the whole box into the shrimp tank. I have never counted a before/after so I don't know if the shrimp had any effect or not.
I purchased only 5 rili shrimps today, and I see they are very busy now, probably have food for months to come, but I see it's far too little with 5, so im most likely going back tomorrow and purchasing 15 more atleast. I paid about $1.1 for each, so I think that's a reasonable price. I'll continue to check in on them and see how they are doing and if the bad egg count is decreasing steadily or not.

My eggs have finally started hatching, have about 100+ fry floating around now, everytime I look there's more :-). This is my first time getting eggs from my 3yr old goldfishes, so it's fun to watch.
Zoidburg likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep, I was one of the first people I know of that advocated using cherry shrimp to manage fungus on goldfish eggs. I saw an oto breeder do that once, and tried it with goldfish to good effect. What site were you reading? Works very well, and as advertised, they eat fungus, unfertilized eggs, and don’t touch good eggs or fry.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Itís actually that the fertilized eggs are tougher. A fertilized egg can be picked up gently by hand or scraped off with a credit card to move it, where that will rupture an unfertilized one.
Zoidburg and andreeb like this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTill View Post
Yep, I was one of the first people I know of that advocated using cherry shrimp to manage fungus on goldfish eggs. I saw an oto breeder do that once, and tried it with goldfish to good effect. What site were you reading? Works very well, and as advertised, they eat fungus, unfertilized eggs, and donít touch good eggs or fry.
Quote:
Itís actually that the fertilized eggs are tougher. A fertilized egg can be picked up gently by hand or scraped off with a credit card to move it, where that will rupture an unfertilized one.
I found that tip on https://puregoldfish.com/eggs/ .

The fertile eggs are for sure tough, every egg I had has hatched, have atleast 400+ now swimming around!
Gonna start to feed them some dry yolk tomorrow, they are 2 days old by then.
Zoidburg likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreeb View Post
By dry yolk i mean liquified in the aquarium water as I can't exactly feed them dry food as of yet :-)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I found that tip on https://puregoldfish.com/eggs/ .

The fertile eggs are for sure tough, every egg I had has hatched, have atleast 400+ now swimming around!
Ah, gotcha. I wrote another simplified article for her on the subject that I see she's sliced and diced to sell a bunch of stuff on commission: https://puregoldfish.com/babies/

Congrats on hatches! This is going to sound harsh, but the sooner you cull down to a small number of fish, the better. The ones you keep will be far healthier for it. It's the sucky part of breeding goldfish unfortunately, but keeping 5-10 out of that 400 is about all you should attempt.

Bump:
Quote:
By dry yolk i mean liquified in the aquarium water as I can't exactly feed them dry food as of yet :-)
That might work, but you'll get the best success out of baby brine shrimp. Eventually they'll be able to take a steamed egg, but those first few weeks they really need live foods because they're triggered to feed by movement: https://thegoldfishcouncil.org/2017/...d-blood-worms/

You can almost ignore all the recommendations for dry foods for baby goldfish because they basically ignore them (usually written by people who want to sell things but have never actually properly bred goldfish). Even a well seasoned tank full of algae would be better for fry.
Zoidburg and andreeb like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I wrote another simplified article for her on the subject that I see she's sliced and diced to sell a bunch of stuff on commission: https://puregoldfish.com/babies/

Congrats on hatches! This is going to sound harsh, but the sooner you cull down to a small number of fish, the better. The ones you keep will be far healthier for it. It's the sucky part of breeding goldfish unfortunately, but keeping 5-10 out of that 400 is about all you should attempt.

Bump:

That might work, but you'll get the best success out of baby brine shrimp. Eventually they'll be able to take a steamed egg, but those first few weeks they really need live foods because they're triggered to feed by movement: https://thegoldfishcouncil.org/2017/...d-blood-worms/

You can almost ignore all the recommendations for dry foods for baby goldfish because they basically ignore them (usually written by people who want to sell things but have never actually properly bred goldfish). Even a well seasoned tank full of algae would be better for fry.

Culling will commence after a week's time, and then i'll cull again after they grow more, within a month I should have only keepers. My plan is to keep all the healthy ones and resell them,
space is not a issue at all!

I second the baby brine shrimp, I started feeding them this yesterday actually and they started eating, the yolk not so much! If I was keeping the goldfish for myself I would understand culling them down to very low numbers, but im not, already have buyers lined up so the more keepers there are the more money I have in my pocket :-)

Cheers mate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode