Mystery Snail Temporary Holding Logistics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mystery Snail Temporary Holding Logistics

I'm getting a couple/few dozen mystery snails over the weekend (dime sized, I'm told). I have a 29 gallon and four 10 gallon tanks to divide them into. However, I don't generally have building access (they're going to be in the tanks at work) until Monday. I'm looking for best options to keep them from Friday night until Monday. I have an empty 5 gallon at home, and I know they can live out of water for some time...I'm trying to figure out the best plan for them. I could easily toss them all in the 5 gallon with a sponge filter and just do a huge water change Saturday & Sunday, making sure to use a decent dose of Prime, or maybe I should figure out a way to keep them out of water but in what -- a bag? for the weekend, with wet paper towels or something?

Advice appreciated!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cinnamonamon; 01-16-2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: title adjustment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:46 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
This is several days late but I wanted to chime in just in case you're still stressing about things.

Just about any of your ideas would be fine for a weekend. But the easiest is honestly to keep them in a bucket with water changes. It's always worked well for snail breeding for me - even larger Pomacea diffusa.

What solution did you end up going with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Meh -- I ended up getting approval to go into work and put the snails in the tanks on Saturday morning. They look like they're mostly doing just fine, though I've upped my water change schedule to twice a week for a while. They stayed in a bowl with just a wet paper towel for the evening/night and seemed to have done well. Out of 60+ I think I have only lost 3-5 for sure... I'm changing the water today so I'll check out some of the stationary ones before I refill the tanks, when I can reach them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Weird update: I put 5ish in my 10 gallon tanks, and 2/3-3/4 of them survived the transition. I put 20 in my 29 gallon tank and several days later it somehow triggered an almost 100% entire tank die-off of ALL the snails?! I ended up with just a couple living mysteries (I pulled 2 and put them in another tank, but just saw one yesterday, so maybe there are a few more that made it). This includes the couple that were already living in there. It also includes ALL the ramshorn snails that were living in there -- I can see empty shells from the ramshorn all over.

The cherry shrimp population is still thriving, the nerite is happy & fine, the amano shrimp are still good, and the Otos, guppies, tetras, and rosy minnows are also all fine (though I am losing a guppy occasionally -- to old age I assume, as most of them are old...).

...I am completely mystified -- especially as I actually put the most active snails in the big tank when I took them from the transport container, etc...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode