Inverts and the importance of KH - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Inverts and the importance of KH

I understand how pH and GH affect snails, for instance, or at least think I do, but how does KH and how important is it? Can snails be acclimated to dKH outside their recommended range or would it be better to raise the tank's dKH slowly? E.g. adding snails with a recommended range of 5-10 to a 3 dKH tank.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH helps to control pH... the higher the KH, the more stable, and potentially higher, the pH will be.

Of course, pH is controlled by more than just KH.... CO2, tannins, humic acids, oxygen, fulvic acids, etc can all play a role in pH.

I would hazard to guess that if all other parameters are fine, the snail is likely to do okay in lower KH water. Take my word with a grain of salt though! I don't have any fancy snails! Just your average pest snails.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

@Zoidburg, is there any essential relationship between GH and KH, i.e. is increasing the dKH from three to five without altering the 6 dGH straightforward? I can't recall seeing anyone posting here with those numbers so close together.

I assume increasing by no more than 1 dKH per day, preferably 0.5 dKH, is necessary to avoid osmotic shock to the current inhabitants.

FWIW, I have a small amount of driftwood in the tank, plus I age the remineralized DI water with an alder cone and either an oak or beech leaf* for several days prior to WCs, so I imagine pH should be buffered against increasing signficantly.

* After a few weeks of use, the old leaf is added to the aquarium as supplemental food; not sure how much pH-lowering capability is left at that point though.

I'd hoped the 5 dKH plus snails ordered by mistake would adapt to the 3 dKH in my tank but, even with drip acclimation, they didn't.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rainer; 01-18-2020 at 04:11 PM. Reason: FWIW...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes and no to a correlation between GH and KH. GH is general hardness... aka your calcium and magnesium. KH is bi-carbonates and carbonates. There is a calcium carbonate that can raise both GH and KH. Or, you can raise them independently of each other.

You can have any of the following combinations:

5 GH / 0 KH

3 GH / 3 KH

19 GH / 10 KH

8 GH / 12 KH

It really all boils down to what minerals and bi/carbonates are in the water. *USUALLY* KH is lower than GH, however in homes with water softeners, it's possible to have higher KH with lower GH.

So perhaps my next questions would be.... do you have any other snails in the tank? (besides "pest snails") Has the tank been treated with copper or fenbendazole within the past year? (or past 6-8 months at least?)
kgbudge likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

@Zoidburg, yes, the tank has fifteen or so nerites of several species, including the new arrivals, and a mystery snail for comic effect, as well as two species of shrimp, with OEBT coming soon.

One question is how the OEBT would react to 5 dKH water.

The tank hasn't been treated with any chemicals.

Snail Glades,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

Snails like Mystery snails and Nerites need harder water containing calcium for proper shell growth. if the water is to acidic they suffer from shell erosion;

7–9 dGH
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would imagine the shrimp are likely to do fine as they are tigers and are hardier than crystals, tibees and others. There are people who raise them in "Neo" parameters all the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode