• 3 Post By Newbie Tankard
  • 2 Post By erebus
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nerites and Fenbendazole

Will a tank treated with fenbendazole (Panacur, safeguard, fish bendazole etc.) ever be safe again for nerites?

I removed mine before hand and after treatment I ran carbon for two weeks and did about 4 large water changes before adding them back, but they still seem affected. I see some conflicting information... some say with water changes, vacuuming and carbon/purigen the tank will be safe after a few weeks, some say a few months and some say it will never be safe again. Does anyone have experience reintroducing nerites after using this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No experience..... but I would recommend waiting 8-12 months before trying again. (based on what someone else had success with)

Sorry!
erebus likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
No experience..... but I would recommend waiting 8-12 months before trying again. (based on what someone else had success with)

Sorry!
I appreciate the response, surprised no one else has had experience with this!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by erebus View Post
I appreciate the response, surprised no one else has had experience with this!
Many other people have.... I just don't normally hear from them again after 6+ months of them having treated their tank. One person's experience said it took several months before snails could safely live in the tank again. (didn't hear from him when he had treated the tank though) It was at least 6 months, maybe 8...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I treated my 55 for hydra with fenbendazole removing my nerites and mystery snails to another tank for a while. After words I ran carbon for about 2 or 3 weeks. Did 3 large water changes. Snails died after reintroduction. So I waited around 4 or so months doing regular maintenace of WC every week or so. Then I did a major rescape, stirred up the substrate and everything, did 70% ish wc and reintroduce a mystery snail. After two weeks acting totally normal, so I added asecond, and now a couple more weeks later still going strong.

TLDR; my advice, time and patience and many water changes being sure to get the substrate reasonably well, and run carbon as long as you can. Then put one snail in and wait a couple weeks to a month and watch its behavior. If it hardly moves around and keeps locking itself up tight for days(more than the usual amount for the snails) repeatedly it isn't doing so well.

Also I forgot, during the treatment my pest snails all survived, mini ramshorn and ramshorn all showed no sign of being affected. They didn't slow down, hide, no population drop or anything. I've grown to like the ramshorn snails, I wish they populated a bit faster in my tanks but i think i may feed a bit too conservatively for a big population boon.
deeda, Zoidburg and erebus like this.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-20-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just doing a follow up on this old thread in case anyone else ever comes across this same question. I tried to introduce a 2 new nerites after about 2 months from treatment but unfortunately after about a day they both stopped moving and died. A month ago (so about 5 months since the initial fenbendazole) I tried to reintroduce 2 nerites. Been a month now and they are going strong and doing great! So, in my experience it took a good 4-5 months (with weekly waterchanges in that time, normal maintenece, etc) for me to reintroduce nerites after treatment!
deeda and Zoidburg like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Shame you lost some but glad the tank is "okay" now and the new snails are thriving! Thanks for the update!
deeda likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode