Dwarf Crayfish with betta - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Crayfish with betta

Hey i recently set up a fluval spec 2.6 gallon for my betta, I was wondering what other things i can put in with him. I had a pair dwarf Mexican crayfish in the past and fell in love with them. the tank is moderately planted with plenty of hiding spots. Is it possible to maybe put a pair of these crayfish in with the betta?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwalter08 View Post
Hey i recently set up a fluval spec 2.6 gallon for my betta, I was wondering what other things i can put in with him. I had a pair dwarf Mexican crayfish in the past and fell in love with them. the tank is moderately planted with plenty of hiding spots. Is it possible to maybe put a pair of these crayfish in with the betta?

Not in that size tank since a betta should be kept in at least a five gallon tank. In a ten gallon you could probably add a couple dwarf crayfish but make sure you have a backup plan in case the betta starts to attack them. There's no guarantee they'll get along long term, even if they get along at first. You also have to worry about the crayfish nipping your betta's fins.

Last edited by JustAGirl_FL; 01-14-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Correction
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Hi

Fins and claws/nippers do not mix, besides your tank is too small sorry to say

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
You shouldn't keep Dwarf Crayfish in the tank with or without fish and absolutely shouldn't keep a Betta. Time to save up for a new tank - preferably something in the 5-10gal range. A standard 10gal aquarium with a sponge filter would be ideal for a Betta.

Two Crays will need lots of ground to move around and plenty of hidey holes and plants to break up line of sight. You could probably keep two in a 5gal tank if you're careful. Ideally, you'd have at least a standard 10gal tank for them to move around. No fish with them, though. If they can catch it? They can kill it. That goes for other crays, shrimp, fish, snails.

Your Spec III is suitable for shrimp. Maybe in a pinch you could use it for tiny fish for a bit. But ideally, the only fish that would ever really be in it (beyond temporarily) would be fry - and only once you've fry-proofed the tank.
Thelongsnail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwalter08 View Post
I don't know that I think a 2.6 is terrible for a betta, but I wouldn't put anything with it. I bought a <5 gallon tank for my niece's betta after he had lived in my 5 gallon for several months, and he is just as happy in there as he was in the 5. He likes to chill in one area and make bubble nest after bubble nest. However, I wouldn't add anything other than a few shrimp maybe (understanding that it is very likely they will be eaten by the betta), or maybe a nerite or ramshorn sized snail.

I have 2 dwarf mexican crayfish (and 2 female bettas, among other fish) in my 15 gallon, and I have never seen the bettas & crayfish interact -- they have enough space not to, though. I would save up for a slightly bigger tank if you have your heart set on the crayfish -- there are some really attractive all-in-one set-ups that wouldn't take up much space at all.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on bettas needing 5+ gallons in the long term. They may survive in smaller, but don't have the room to perform natural behaviours. Just as an aside, although bubble-nesting is super cool and certainly not a bad thing, it doesn't necessarily mean that a fish is "happy."

In addition to the betta not having enough space, smaller tanks will experience parameter swings much more easily and more intensely, so again, 5 gallons+ (preferably 10+) means that you're not running your tank on a razor's edge.

Absolute no on crayfish with fish - it's not a case of "if" there's problems, but "when", especially with slower fish such as male bettas.

Why not invest in 2x 10 gallon tanks, one for fish and one for crayfish? You could have some really great complementary aquascaping or something, that seems to be quite a trend recently.

For the 2.6 gallon, you could use it for shrimp (if you're confident in keeping water parameters stable) or maybe just as a back up for moving fish/treatments/tank leaks etc. I have an empty 5 gallon for this and it's super useful

Journal

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info. I am aware that the tank may be a little small for a beta however i am very confined with space and dont have room for anything bigger at the moment. its a female or at least thats what is was sold to me as. Anyway i planed on putting it in my sorority tank however she does not seem to want to be with any other betta so i guess that may be my answer for the crayfish too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

If you're a wizard with habitat setups and keeping the water parameters in check maybe it could be done without conflict, but IMO without a plan B tank to relocate either if things weren't going well would be somewhat irresponsible. GL!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
maybe it could be done without conflict,
No it cant be done, especially in a small tank no matter how much of a wizard you think you are.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAnumber1 View Post
If you're a wizard with habitat setups and keeping the water parameters in check maybe it could be done without conflict, but IMO without a plan B tank to relocate either if things weren't going well would be somewhat irresponsible. GL!
Thanks! everything seems in check. and if it comes to it and water quality drops and such i can get something for her, however she seems happy as a clam right now with no issues.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode