3Likes
  • 2 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Desert Pupfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pest snails....

So my tank has never had a snail issue. I havnt planted any new plants or added anything. All of a sudden I have this huge snail outburst. Tank has been running for about almost 4 months now. My question is if anyone can identify the snail species. I've been manually removing them and placing them in an jar aquarium for now. But it doesnt stop haha! I put these 2 on my kitchen counter to get a better view. Trumpets? Bladders?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_030031_1577781179353.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	891269  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep, bladder snails, Physella sp.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 02:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Probably a bulid-up of something is increasing their food supplies. i always think of snails as a good tool to see how "clean? the tank is. Excess organics from fish waste, dead/dying leaves, food, algae will increase their numbers. Reduce those and you will see a reduction in the snails as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had a tank where I all but eradicated them by feeding less. If you still have plant adjusting they feed on dead plants but after that it is basically mostly food you put in. There will always be some, but if you decrease food sources and remove them manually you can be rid of them in time. I got rid of bladder snails by doing this but still have mini ramshorn. But I introduced regular ramshorn because I like them.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 03:13 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm going with pond snails due to the dextral shell (right turned), unless the photo is tricking my eyes. If they are bladders, the antennae will be very fine as opposed to the thicker antennae of a pond snail. Either way, they are generally considered a net positive in your planted tank.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Tankard View Post
... I got rid of bladder snails by doing this but still have mini ramshorn. But I introduced regular ramshorn because I like them.
I have found mini ramshorn to be tough as well, but should still clear up eventually be limiting food supply.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a mini ramshorn and a baby ramshorn? Is is the angle of the shell?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 03:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mini ramshorn are very small and their shell is horizontal, like laying flat against the glass or surface. While ramshorn snails has the same spiral they get larger and their shell is oriented more like sitting on their back vertically. Also mini's shells are quite thin in relation to ramshorn have a fatter appearance. This is all relative to each other and makes it harder if you only have one. Do a google image search of mini ramshorn and another of ramshorn and you should see a difference like what I am trying to describe.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Tankard View Post
Mini ramshorn are very small and their shell is horizontal, like laying flat against the glass or surface. While ramshorn snails has the same spiral they get larger and their shell is oriented more like sitting on their back vertically. Also mini's shells are quite thin in relation to ramshorn have a fatter appearance. This is all relative to each other and makes it harder if you only have one. Do a google image search of mini ramshorn and another of ramshorn and you should see a difference like what I am trying to describe.
Thanks for the confirmation, i thought it was something like that. I wasn't sure if the regular ramshorn start off with their shell horizontal and then it shifts to being more on their back.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A snail outbreak is like algae--a rite of passage for most new tanks. I wouldn't worry too much about it--as others have said once their food source (excess fish food, algae, dead plants) is limited, their numbers will be too. Lots of loaches and some other fish will eat them. Saw a post recently where someone's corydoras had learned to tagteam on snails & eat them. I had a huge explosion when I was cycling through several algae outbreaks after starting my tank. A couple of pea puffers eliminated them--except the MTS which quickly learned to stay buried in the substrate and only come out at night. Once the pea puffers were banished for fin nipping, the MTS started reappearing during the day. Can snails be smart?

An assassin snail or two will help keep their numbers down. And they're pretty with brown & yellow striped shells. Or there are lots of attractive species you can get to outcompete the ones you don't want. Some like nerites can't reproduce in the aquarium, so overpopulating won't be a problem. They do serve a valuable purpose in keeping down algae, eating leftover food, and aerating the substrate. If they really bother you, you can trap them with pieces of zucchini or something and keep removing them. But I wouldn't bother--just like with algae their numbers will normalize & reach a balance.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode