• 1 Post By Rainer
  • 1 Post By FlatfishTanker
  • 1 Post By HairyNoseWombat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nerite vs. mystery/apple snail

I plan on getting a snail for some algae clean up for my 20 gallon which snail is better nerite or mystery/apple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I prefer the looks of the nerites but the antics of the mystery snails. At 20g though, you can easily support several nerites, which don't breed in freshwater, and a mystery, which does, without the need for supplementary feedings.

Apple snails are a different species and banned in the US, IIRC.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
I prefer the looks of the nerites but the antics of the mystery snails. At 20g though, you can easily support several nerites, which don't breed in freshwater, and a mystery, which does, without the need for supplementary feedings.

Apple snails are a different species and banned in the US, IIRC.

Which apple snail are you talking about? Some apple snails can still be bought and dont think they are listed as invasive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Federal law states that it is illegal for apple snails to be imported across state lines.

The quote is near the end of the page on a State of Florida webpage, so I assumed it's a blanket ban.

OTOH, from another site: "One species complex in the family Ampullaridae, Pomacea bridgesii (diffusa) may move interstate without a permit because these snails are not known to be agricultural pests but are primarily algae feeders."
Quint likes this.

Snail Glades,

Last edited by Rainer; 12-31-2019 at 02:53 AM. Reason: added second link
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm I think I'll probably end up going with nerite I hear the clean better too. i don't feel like buying algae wafers so would some vegetables be good to put every once in a while? Also which vegetables would be best? Will nerite snails eat frogbit?
Thanks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nerites won't eat living plants, only the biofilm growing on them. I feed mine blanched spinach or lettuce, plus they adore the beech and oak leaves I rotate out of the container used for aging water, as well as some dried food I picked up from a member here. The latter is nice to have when someone else is watching the house while I'm away; no need to blanch or prep anything, just break up and drop one in.

True algae wafers are very hard to find these days; almost all have fish meal as a primary ingredient - something nerites do not need.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Nerite is the best worker-eating diatoms and green spot algae on glass and plants, but won't eat food srcraps. Mystery snail is more 'showy' and will eat food scraps, apple snail (that's not a mystery snail) will eat your plants. Last 2 make more poop too.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the responses Iím gonna buy nerite!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 09:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Please don't. They are actually brackish water snails sold as freshwater snails and only live a year plus in freshwater and several years at a minimum in brackish water. I have one bumble bee nerite still going strong in a brackish tank after 7 1/2 years. They really do not belong in true fresh water. They are just sold that way.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Kameon View Post
Please don't. They are actually brackish water snails sold as freshwater snails and only live a year plus in freshwater and several years at a minimum in brackish water. I have one bumble bee nerite still going strong in a brackish tank after 7 1/2 years. They really do not belong in true fresh water. They are just sold that way.
I think I've read this before (perhaps from you on a different thread). However I've never heard it anywhere else. Also, I have a nerite snail that is in a freshwater tank that I have owned for over a year, and a friend owned for several years before... so maybe there is a specific species of nerite that cannot tolerate freshwater long-term? Because mine is fine, and it seems others' are as well...

As for the OP, I agree with the others -- nerites work more (though mystery/brigs do well when they're young), but the others are more fun! I would grab a handful of cherry shrimp, or maybe some amano sized shrimp to help with cleanup too.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:31 AM
Algae Grower

Nerites also lay little white eggs all over the place. Don't forget that. They won't hatch out, but they will show up behind your nerite snail. Does anyone know, are there any creatures that eats nerite snail eggs?
kgbudge likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatfishTanker View Post
Nerites also lay little white eggs all over the place. Don't forget that. They won't hatch out, but they will show up behind your nerite snail. Does anyone know, are there any creatures that eats nerite snail eggs?
Nothing in our hobby eats nerite eggs in freshwater (dunno about brackish) but that's kinda the point-they evolved to increase survival rate by making eggs inedible (nothing eats ramshorns, pond, or bladder snail eggs that I am aware of either). But you can scrape the eggs off the glass when doing a water change-driftwood is a little harder, but they do break down over time. Only the females lay eggs so if you're lucky and get a male no egg issue.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:17 PM
Planted Member

My nerite eggs disappear eventually, too. I completely forgot they did that, as it's been a while (months) since she laid any in a place I noticed!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Planted Member

Just for the record
Most mystery snails are apple snails but not all apple snails are mystery snails.
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode