New to shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to shrimp

Hello there,
I need some advice and help with my 35l shrimp aquarium. I just planted some plants a week ago and now I am waiting that they will grow and spread. And when they do I will buy some shrimp. But now I'm wondering how many shrimps can I get. I want 3 type of shrimp: sakura red, black sakura and orange cherry shrimp. And are they good combination? And if I get shrimps is there still some space for some nano fishes and what kind? I also want to keep a betta fish in there. Well if I get lucky in finding one that looks peaceful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mixing those colors of shrimp you might end up with some wild type brown/clear offspring. If you don't care, then go for it! Just make sure you get 'home bred' shrimp, not imported ones.

Introducing fish into a shrimp tank can increase the odds of the shrimp hiding, thus defeating the purpose of getting colorful shrimp. Even if that doesn't happen, you still run the risk of the fish eating the shrimp - especially newborn offspring. If you get a heavily enough planted tank, you may get some survivors. Some fish might even go after adults... this includes betas.. most betas will eat adult Neos.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Algae Grower

if you really want fish, try chili rasboras , pygmy corys and otos. in my tanks, those were always fine with shrimp but my tanks are planted as well but i never had any issues. my shrimp feed and hang out freely even the babies.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for anwsering.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

Male endlers work well in shrimp tanks IMO. They are much smaller than adult shrimp, and tend to stay near the surface. It is still possible they eat a few babies, but if you aren't keeping something super high end, I think they are worth the splash of color.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have Sakura shrimp in with Embers and even Black Neons and many of the babies are surviving past the edible size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bettas can be hit and miss with stuff. I have one that doesnt bother RCS but the minute you put a chocolate or black emerald in there he hunts it without any remorse. No idea why. He also leaves the false amanos and natural type NEOs alone. He will also eat chilli rasboras.

You could also wind up with one that likes shrimp as much as pellets. Wont know until things get settled.

As far as fish, if you have some plant and hiding cover you can do several small fish. Ones I have with reproducing shrimp are 40breeder - false juliis, otos, CPDs, ember tetras, and at one point chilli rasboras 10gal- betta, couple male guppies, couple beckford pencil fish, otos.

The 10g got some culls from the 40B because I had so many and figured why not, went from about 5-6 to about 15+ currently.

If the name of the game is getting alot of shrimp forgo the fish besides the otos. If you just want a decent colony of shrimp then add what ever small well mannered fish that cant fit adults in there mouths. They will eat some of the babies but if there are plants like java fern or moss or some other dense plant some babies will survive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode