• 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Help me choose!!

Haven't bought Shrimp for years, I have hundreds of brown/was cherries thriving in 2 38 tall heavily planted, but since we just rescaped our 125, we want to bring in some prettier ones, but dont want to lose 25 expensive critters. Tank is very stable but my water is hard with moderate kh/gh levels. Substrate is dirt/EC/black sand cap. What would be a striking shrimp that will thrive in my water parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Current tank parameters?

What else is or will be living in the tank?
Aquatroy50 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PH 7.5 A0-N0-N0 cant remember the kg/gh but it was 9 drops on the API test. Tetras and Cories

Last edited by Aquatroy50; 12-28-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Add ph

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could go with either Neocaridina or tiger shrimp honestly.... Tangerine tigers being the number one choice.

If you don't have any fish yet, I would recommend getting the shrimp and allowing the population to grow before even considering adding fish. It could be 3-6 months or more before the shrimp population is large enough to maybe handle itself.

Tetras and cories may prey upon shrimp, larger cories in particular. Pygmy cory species may be less likely to prey upon the shrimp. Either way, you'll want to make sure that there's plenty of hiding places for the shrimp. Adding fish may also result in them hiding more.
Aquatroy50 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The fish are already living with the browns, I was curious as they were sold to me as wild caught, but they dont seem to bother them. Why is your choice Tangerine Tigers??
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish are less likely to go after clear shrimp and shrimp that blend in... i.e. brown. Shrimp that are more colorful and stick out like a sore thumb are more likely to be preyed upon. If a fish is a true hunter though, it wont matter what color the shrimp is, they'll hunt them down.

If you do in fact have Neocaridina, then a Caridina species, such as tigers, wont mix with your Neos if you do end up having them together. (not completely true, but rare for the two to hybridize?) That way, you are more likely to keep the prettier looks. Less "culling" is also necessary. If you were to get a colorful Neo, then some amount of culling (removing from main population) would be required in order to keep the bright, strong colors.
Aquatroy50 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode