Did it cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did it cycle?

I had in, 2 week the ammonia to bee at 3 whit fish food, after the first week i startet to get nitrit
readings, then after two weeks i got nitrat to go up from 12 to 30, then 3 days after that the
ammonia and nitrit got down to 0, it has stayed on 0 in a week now, even then i put the same
quantity fish food in. So it should have cycle right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffer View Post
I had in, 2 week the ammonia to bee at 3 whit fish food, after the first week i startet to get nitrit
readings, then after two weeks i got nitrat to go up from 12 to 30, then 3 days after that the
ammonia and nitrit got down to 0, it has stayed on 0 in a week now, even then i put the same
quantity fish food in. So it should have cycle right?
Hi Boffer

Which bacterial supplement, if any, did you use to cycle your tank? What is the nitrate level now? Do you have plants in your tank?

Anon
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
Hi Boffer

Which bacterial supplement, if any, did you use to cycle your tank? What is the nitrate level now? Do you have plants in your tank?

Anon
I put Pure Reef Balance Bactoballs in.
I performed 3 times 25 % water change, and the nitrat is now 25
I have mossballs and some Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' here is a picture https://pasteboard.co/INeAFG1.jpg

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Banned

It certainly sounds like it has cycled to me.

What are you planning to stock it with, fish-wise?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbudge View Post
It certainly sounds like it has cycled to me.

What are you planning to stock it with, fish-wise?
I will put 9 guppies in when wait a month,
then I will put 5 Bbronze corydoras in, when wait a month,
then I will put 5 more Bbronze corydoras, when wait a month,
then I will put 10 Amano Shrimp, when wait a month,
then I will put 9 Catfish Dwarf suckers , when wait a month,
then I will put 10 Zebra Nerite Snail , when wait a month,
then I will put 4 Dwarf Gourami, when wait a month,

Is this a good way to do it?
My problem whit this is i have 30 minuts whit car to the fish store,
and i need to ask some one to drive me becures i dont have a car, so less trips the better.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 11:31 PM
Banned

Guppies are pretty hardy, so they're a good choice for the first round of fish. Adding fish a few at a time lets the filter build up.

The catch (which I have been bit with twice, the last very recently) is that the more rounds of fish that go into the tank, the greater the chances of one of the batches having ich or another parasite. The usual recommendation is to quarantine new fish going into an established tank, but there's no reason the first batch need to be quarantined.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbudge View Post
Guppies are pretty hardy, so they're a good choice for the first round of fish. Adding fish a few at a time lets the filter build up.

The catch (which I have been bit with twice, the last very recently) is that the more rounds of fish that go into the tank, the greater the chances of one of the batches having ich or another parasite. The usual recommendation is to quarantine new fish going into an established tank, but there's no reason the first batch need to be quarantined.
Yes i I wish that I had extra Tank, but I don't mabye i should set one up when i get the money for it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What about testing water I have a liquid testing kit, it's a bit of a hassle it takes time, how often should I test the water when I just got some new fish, and do I have to test for all nitrate, nitrate, Anumoark, ph, just some few ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is another question.... is the tank large enough to support that many fish?

I'm not asking if they could all fit in there but rather, will the tank be overstocked or under-stocked with water changes done weekly.

If it's large enough, then great!

Were you able to get the ammonia up to 4 ppm at least? Once you add fish you may see a spike and may want to do water changes every couple of days to every three days until the bacteria is able to catch up to the amount of fish that is in the aquarium.

Once the tank is settled and you have a water change schedule, you could test the parameters once a week or less.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is 350 liters

I put 3 small spoons of fish food in everyday, and got it up to 3, but not 4, I should maybe have put more food in, I thought three was the maximum you should go cuz the bacteria will die if you go higher, I've wrote that somewhere in the internet.
Ok I will do so if I get a spike
Zoidburg likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

At that size, you'll probably be fine! You shouldn't need to do too large of water changes I imagine, at least not in the beginning. As you add more fish, you may need to increase the size of water changes, but as it stands, might not need to do more than 10% in the beginning? Only testing will tell you for sure.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
At that size, you'll probably be fine! You shouldn't need to do too large of water changes I imagine, at least not in the beginning. As you add more fish, you may need to increase the size of water changes, but as it stands, might not need to do more than 10% in the beginning? Only testing will tell you for sure.
I would say about 30% water change two times a week the first week, and only one time every week afterwards, would that be right?

Tags
cycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode