4Likes
  • 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
New To Shrimp

I've been looking into Shrimp for a while and looking for some feedback on my first tank. I've been keeping fish and plants for quite a while.

I have a few older tanks that I've cleaned up and want to get going, 20Long,20High and a 29Gal. My first shrimp will tank will go into one of these.
I'm using RODI.
Water parameters are:
PH 7.8
GH 8
KH 12
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm

I'd secondly like this to be a planted tank. If fish will work, fine but Shrimp is my primary focus.
From what I've gathered so far, my water has a lot to do with the type of shrimp I want to keep?
Given my water parameters listed above, I'd say it tilts more toward the hard side but I'm not really sure how that translates in the shrimp world and that's where I need some feedback from those that know and don't mind helping out.
My understanding is: with hard water, you'll want neocaridina, and all colors are about as equally easy to keep. If you have RO or soft water, you'll want a caridina species. Of the Caridina, Crystal Red or a Tangerine Tiger are good beginner choices. This is based on conversations, asking questions and reading.

Thanks for helping a shrimp newbie out.
DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DigityDog70; 12-13-2019 at 03:40 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:09 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Just try to find some Neocaridina that appeal to you that were raised in harder water. Drip acclimation is wise in any case, but you'll have better survival rates if you can find stock raised in water similar to yours. But all you really have to do is get one batch of babies that grow up in your water and you should be set. I'm a fan of keeping shrimp only tanks, but do have some with fish in them. A good recent discussion on shrimp basics can be found here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...questions.html

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thank you BRR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds like you have it covered, more or less... you will want to cycle the tank prior to adding shrimp. Personally, I prefer a "fishless" cycle using Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia or Dr Timm's Ammonium.

You mentioned you use RODI water. Are you remineralizing the water?
DigityDog70 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Sounds like you have it covered, more or less... you will want to cycle the tank prior to adding shrimp. Personally, I prefer a "fishless" cycle using Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia or Dr Timm's Ammonium.

You mentioned you use RODI water. Are you remineralizing the water?
+1 cycling with ace janitor ammonia. I use that and a pipet (or syringe-if you know a diabetic they always have extras you can get a few for dosing fertilizers or ammonia) and this site for calculating amount to dose (conversion lower right, calculator at the bottom):
https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/module...ywords=cycling

I want to say kudos for making your shrimp tank a large tank! Good first step!! My first shrimp I tried in 2-3g vase/bowl.. too small.. too large a water changes. I lost all but 5 and tossed them into a 12g long as food for a (very weird dwarf puffer who didn't eat them) and the population exploded! Had 100-200 shrimp for several years in there. Bigger tank is better for more stable water conditions. Also you can start with a larger colony ^^

And yes, you could use your tap if it stays consistent for neocaridina (neo) shrimp like the cherry, but there are several other colors too.
I'm keeping cherries and yellow neos now, my tap: 7.5pH, gh 9, kh 5, tds 180-210. Plant to get other neo colors in the future.. Really want blue neos.

Ps: get a TDS meter! Whether you use tap or remineralize your RODI a good TDS meter is important with shrimp keeping.
Oh also try to source from a 'local' US breeder if at all possible-one with parameters close to yours is even better- better survival rate.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode