Kinda Temporary Re-Housing Shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kinda Temporary Re-Housing Shrimp?

I have run into quite the dilemma!

My shrimp are currently are in a 29 gallon with celestial pearl danios. Tank has been set up for about a year and is running 2 HOB filters and a very small sponge filter (important later on). However, the fish and shrimp are about to be served an eviction notice. Why might you ask?

Well, I found a fish locally that I'd never thought I'd see. Come next weekend-ish, I will be picking up a group of C. Acellus puffers. It's too good of a deal to pass up. Heck, I've never even seen them in person and they aren't exactly common online either. And this store has them for about half of the price that I have ever seen them sold for. The fish will be traded in, but I want to keep a small shrimp only tank too because I do love me some shramp. The puffers are on hold and I am planning on picking them up later this week/this weekend.

I can probably whip together an ugly 10 gal holding tank, but I need a longer-term pretty plan. I can live with ugly for a bit, but I ultimately know I want to keep these shrimp in a planted tank. I have absolutely no idea how many shrimp are in the tank. I got around 30 a year ago and they have been pretty good breeders since (despite losing some adults). It wouldn't shock me to have 100 or so in there now. The plan is to try to fish out the vibrant red ones as possible and leave the rest to natural selection .

Options are:

A) Whip together a 10 gal holding tank (using one of the filters on present tank) and then re-scape/plant/pretty it up once I have a plan (moving the shrimp to a temp holding container while scaping)

B) Rubbermaid bin and take my time scaping/prettying up a 10 gallon (cheapest option)

C) Rubbermaid bin/10 gallon tank but get an all-in-one tank (probably a Fluval Flex 15- nice aesthetic and I've seen some good sales)

D) Keep both filters on current tank and just use tiny sponge filter on whatever container. Probably don't need to do this since both filters are capable of handling a 29 by themselves, but it is an option

I'm not worried about filtration given I have 2 cycled filters on the tank currently plus a small sponge filter (probably a 2.5 or 5 gal suitable sponge filter). But I do need somewhere to physically put the shrimp while I figure out a longer-term plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you already have a cycled sponge filter, all you'd need for 100 or so shrimp would be a 5 gallon bucket to hold them in temporarily until you can get another tank up and cycled. Just drop cycled sponge in 4 gallons of treated water, give it a little air, acclimate shrimp over to it and that's pretty much it. Shrimp aren't terribly demanding as long as you match the water parameters closely to match your tank.... particularly GH and KH (which will dictate pH). A drop in temperature isn't a big deal as long as they acclimate slowly if bucket water and tank water are more than 3F difference. Other than than that, you could toss a clump of moss or piece of cholla wood, cattapa leaves, etc. to make them feel a little more secure and have something to graze on as well. Feed sparingly and do a small water change on the bucket at least twice a month and do regular top offs for evaporation. I would probably use a white bucket myself just to be able to see them good and keep an eye on them from time to time making sure to remove any dead shrimp, if any.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode